Forum › Posts by Gulf Standard

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure there is plenty of typesetters that would be more than willing to help you once you are done with translation.

That would be a nice world to live in

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

ct299415:
Why not make a NSFW or a 18+chapter.
I really like this book.
I hope theres more or make it into a anime.

orange_01:
It's been tagged yuri but it's not yuri, you know?

Every Dynasty comment ever in 4 lines

orange_01:
I'm a gal why call everyone guys?

You used the traditionally male term of address "buddy" toward a female poster in the comment immediately preceding this.

Gulf Standard
Otsu Hiyori discussion 15 Nov 21:51
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Her most recent comments I can find are from 2011, where she states she'd "like to draw all sorts of yuri stories." And frankly if she was making a conscious effort to move away from yuri, Otomodachi kara Hajimemashou wasn't an especially good attempt at it. The more pressing question might be whether anyone still publishes the kind of yuri Otsu writes.

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013
Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

As Nez suggests, this series has been dropped and in all likelihood will never be completed or continued as a scanlation. If you would like to read the rest you will have to buy the official print version.

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Calm friend, please. It's not worth it.

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Isn't the right name Saki Biyori Otona no Maki/The Adults' Story (BG Edition)?

This name is very much not the right one, as "Otona no Maki" is simply a subtitle appended to chapters of this story dealing with the adult characters (only 4 out of the 41 collected here). Every chapter has a different subtitle of this kind and the bulk of the series very plainly does not deal with adults, so it would seem fairly evident to the least amount of investigation that this is not the overall title, yet multiple sources persistently list it as such.

Gulf Standard
Sequel discussion 07 Nov 10:37
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

The argument for using it within tankoubons would be that if you reach an individual story through any other route, there's nothing to indicate that you're about to spoil yourself. And even having read it, you may never suspect that you missed part of the story.

Gulf Standard
Maple Love discussion 06 Nov 15:12
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

One thing I noticed here - at the bottom of page 14 I always assumed she tried to force the break-up because she felt the guy wasn't good for her friend or something along those lines. But in the original it's specified as a girl she had a crush on, so she just wanted a shot at her herself.

Gulf Standard
Otsu Hiyori discussion 04 Nov 15:49
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Nevri:
In afterword of her last series she said she wants to distance herself from yuri and do other stories.

Where was this?

Gulf Standard
Otsu Hiyori discussion 04 Nov 08:15
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Nevri:
I know that.

Yeah I figured, just stating it for general benefit.

I do think the distinction in the title is important since (haven't seen the 2nd volume but assuming nothing drastic changes from the first) it would indicate that at least some among the leads are gay. In the first volume the two key relationships are both same-gender, and the "start from friends" formulation does assume basic romantic interest.

Gulf Standard
Otsu Hiyori discussion 04 Nov 07:03
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Thiron:
As a not Japanese speaking person, I kinda prefer knowing what the title means, even if the translation isn't grammatically correct

I'm not suggesting things not have titles, I'm suggesting they should have titles that actually make sense.

Nevri
With "Let's start with friend" it is kinda correct

"Tomodachi kara hajimemashou" is the equivalent of the English phrase "We'll start out as friends," in other words leaving open the possibility of a future romantic relationship. Now since Otsu rendered this instead as "start with a friend" and the story in fact is about people trying to make friends, you might conceivably imagine she was playing off that stock phrase and actually intends it as something like "You can start off [on trying to be more social] by making a few friends." Still, as an interpretation this is rather far-fetched and I'm skeptical whether the Japanese can actually mean that. Though since by all indications the series is complete at two volumes, the more common sense wouldn't quite seem to fit either.

Since this is the Otsu Hiyori thread and I haven't really talked about the mangaka herself, I should say a few words about her. She's the best. Okay glad that's taken care of

Gulf Standard
Otsu Hiyori discussion 04 Nov 03:41
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Nevri
If I'm not mistaken in both cases the author did the english translation themself as kinda official english one in their mind. And since the original author made a official translation of their tittle, rest just rolled with it (regardless of it quality).

I know. I'm not criticizing the author for not knowing better, or the readers for using the title they're given. I'm criticizing translators who are paid to bring a work into English and present it with a nonsense title that makes it harder to take the work seriously.

Yuri Girl 1001
I'll tell you[...]

I thought The Last Uniform was definitely the right way to go there, if for no other reason than the congruence with The Last Unicorn (which I've never read actually). Some author titles are certainly good and theirs is obviously an important point of view to take into account, but if there's a blatant misunderstanding there it's just laziness to ignore it. The Otsu title at least fits the series thematically, so it's understandable why they might keep it. Completely different story from the awful Attack of the Titans title (was that so hard?).

Donald Keene, one of the more famous Japanese-English translators, told a story about translating Abe Kōbō's novel Midori iro no sutokkingu to English. "Sutokkingu" could be either singular or plural, so he asked Abe whether the English title should be The Green Stocking or The Green Stockings. Abe said, "That's your problem, not mine."

Gulf Standard
Otsu Hiyori discussion 04 Nov 02:33
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Nevri:
Same thing with people preferring Attack on Titan over Shingeki no Kyojin.

Which is clearly the name of a story about invading Saturn's moon, not fighting giants. Why would people localizing to a language let someone with a clearly imperfect understanding of it dictate to them?

What it really put me in mind of was the Kiarostami film that English releases insist on calling Where Is the Friend's Home. Also I hate that movie.

Gulf Standard
Otsu Hiyori discussion 03 Nov 22:25
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Let's Start with a Friend

Why do people use the Engrish titles...

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

How could that post possibly leave you confused about whether or not she knows what the word yuri means

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

This story did not appear in Yuri Hime 42, it was original to the tankoubon release.

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Holy cow

Gulf Standard
Lililicious discussion 02 Nov 04:47
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Pretty sure Flower Flower finished Flower Flower. Also Lililicious didn't work on that aside from a 4-page special.

Gulf Standard
Untouched discussion 31 Oct 17:08
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

telamon:
Oh you did? Thanks xD I found it on /u/ and repackaged it. That's okay right?

Was this to me? Sure, I mean I had no idea this was ever even worked on, so it's just cool to see it pop up like this.

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Nezchan:
It seems a pretty chaste love at this point anyhow.

Personally I found the whole story pretty sexually charged, particularly with the forceful requests at the top of 13 and 19. She's probably around 14 so I do think there could be a debate about how okay that is.

Nevri:
That is why she said to wait with dating, cos she wants her to be legal.
morter:
What's this about a date in a half year?

That's how long it takes her to make the shoes. She's going to focus for six months and try to make a perfect pair of shoes for her, that's all.

morter:
I thought that feet and legs were the same thing (足) in Japanese? So how does the last balloon on page 26 go?

It's just ashi (脚) in the original, as one word, but I translated it out as both since both meanings are important to the story. Really really good question.

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

The story was originally published on her site before Tsubomi picked it up, so I can confirm that they indeed censored it. The "Kawano" spelling also originated with the Tsubomi printing, so we can thank them for that one too.

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Why do they have to write stuff like this instead of yuri? I just wish they would write some yuri.

Since the intent may not have been clear here, the three text elements in this image are "suki," which means "I love you/her", "kyuuuun," the sound effect of one's chest constricting with strong emotion, and a heart, which is a heart.

Thiaguinho-sama:
And someone will probably translate Yuri Danshi.

While this is decidedly untrue, all I meant was that I'd agreed to continue but haven't actually done any work yet.

Anyway, returning to the story this thread is intended for, I was surprised to note that the tankoubon version contains nudity, whereas the magazine version appears to be deliberately censored. This is the only alteration made, so I don't at all think it was arbitrary. I can only assume the editors told her she had to take it out for it to be printed. You're telling me a rag like Tsubomi, with some of the depravity it's put out, had the temerity to censor as tasteful an author as Akuta?

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Thiaguinho-sama:
What manga is that from?

A three page-bonus story for this titled (no points for guessing this one) "I Got Myself a Big Sister."

Why you don't like it? Some spoilers please, and if no one translate will you do it?

Have you seen the story in Hirari, or are you just asking in general? I don't know, personally it's like she took all the aspects of her style I sort of don't like and made a story entirely out of those. The leads visually remind me of the alien children from Close Encounters of the Third Kind and some of the dialogue is pretty iffy too. But yeah, I mean, I'll translate it, if you want me to, it doesn't offend me or anything. I'm already translating Yuri Danshi because it sort of seemed like you wanted me to, although come to think of it, no I'm not, am I...

Gulf Standard
Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

telamon:
Still just subtext no doubt? Would it kill them to make a sequel to a subtext one a yuri one? xD

I know, right? Why do they have to write stuff like this instead of yuri? I just wish they would write some yuri.

Thiaguinho-sama:
Why not translate Graduation Day?

Dunno, kinda weirds me out a little. Just not a story I'm particularly fond of. Somebody else might do it, of course.