Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I do think we may have left behind the timing for being startled by the giant grade schooler, like maybe 30 pages ago now.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

As a side note. I'm happy that the "I overhear half of a conversation"-situation didn't lead to a clichéd misunderstanding and drama.

I know, right? I saw here come along as those girls were badmouthing her and I was like "Here we go, she's going to think our girl dislikes her too or something" and then it totally turned it around like "Take that, annoying trope! And that! And that!!!"
Had to be on purpose too, IMO. And it does give me the feeling this story's gonna be mostly on the fluffy side, with the angst from the past serving mainly to underline how much better it is to be happy.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

the mangaka is a real person with her own circumstances and other stuff to do(like the other serialisation) so can you please stop complaining about the page count like some kind of an addict

Whaddya mean "like" some kind of an addict?

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

As easy as pie, and as simple as cake.

This may have been intentional, but as someone who dabbles in baking I can tell you pie is not easy and cake is not simple.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't think we can say the knife was JUST in the girl's head.

I think we can. Her hands are full the entire scene with the tray, and the knife only appears in panels where Suu is imagining Mayu. When the art is normal, there is no knife. All of the exaggerated versions of Mayu are seen through Suu in either panels where the art changes or in memories although that could just be the nature of a comedy story.

Well, that's one interpretation. But looking at the first couple of instances of girl-with-knife, it does not look at all like that to me. To the contrary--Suu starts off by thinking about things, trying to figure a solution, then says something, hoping it will be OK, and then you get Mayu's reaction shot with the knife, which results in Suu going "Erk! Guess I got it wrong!"

So the "Mayu with the knife" images are very much GIVING SUU NEW INFORMATION ABOUT THE WORLD. So they're not imaginings or recollections. And yes, the art style does shift a bit--specifically, it shifts from simpler and smaller scale bits that ARE about imaginings and recollections, to the more detailed and stark Mayu-with-the-knife. If there is a shift, it's the knife bringing Suu BACK TO REALITY. And nowhere is there anything that looks to me like a signal that she's hallucinating; normally I'd expect that if the events shown on the page as happening are supposed to be not actually happening, there would be something to let you know.

So I really don't think the text supports the interpretation of the knife being in Suu's head.

I'd like to note that neither direction really has much impact on my experience/enjoyment of the story.

last edited at Jan 4, 2023 7:06PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Those two have elliptical conversations. I'm not convinced they themselves are supposed to know quite what they're implying.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I guess this page wasn't enough for people to see that the knife was a visual metaphor. Mayu is not actually threatening to murder her girlfriend; the danger here is making her sad, which is being exaggerated for comedic effect.

She tracked down the baker. That is insane.

And even with the knife being just in the girl's head, that her mental state defaults to that imagery points to a huge issue with the relationship. A crippling fear of disappointing your girlfriend based on it happening it before isn't good.

Like, I get this is supposed to be played up for comedy, but I just don't find it funny. It's the same as me not finding abuse played up as slapstick funny.

Matter of taste I guess. My taste agrees with yours in this case--I didn't find it particularly funny. But I don't know if it's because I don't generally like that style of comedy or if this particular example wasn't very funny.

I don't think we can say the knife was JUST in the girl's head. We can say the girlfriend was PROBABLY not actually planning to use it. But she was certainly using it as a prop, holding it up meaningfully when nervous girl said the wrong thing. You don't brandish a knife like that by accident just as a byproduct of having it to cut cake. So in assessing just how over the top the not-very-funny comedy was, I'd say it was over the top enough for the knife to genuinely represent an implicit threat, just not one very likely to be carried out.

I do feel that particularly edgy comedy often cuts corners in the "actually being funny" department. Like it's possible for really dark humour to be really, really funny . . . but a lot of the time it's just phoned in. Like they get to be lazy with the actual comedy part because they can assume anyone not liking it is only not finding it funny because it's too dark for them and they're being PC or whatever. So they sort of lean on the shock factor but get lazy about the punch lines. In extreme cases you get stuff that's supposed to be taken as funny JUST BECAUSE it's transgressive and would offend someone, without any actual joke at all.

last edited at Jan 4, 2023 1:37PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I already made peace with the fact that she looks like that as a kid, but now I'm struggling trying to believe that we have not one or two but 3 middle schoolers hanging out with adults and none of the parents care to meet them! 2 of them are from very rich families on top lol

Well . . . arguably that last bit makes it slightly LESS implausible.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Good she resolve that misurtandin quickly
But also is my impresion of they use the moto I love cosplay as a metaphoro to i love you?

Um, yeah, the subtext of that is rapidly becoming . . . text.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Is it GAY PANIC or is it JAPANESE AWKWARDNESS?

You decide!

Why can't it be both?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Wow, that was a lot of cute. I'm really enjoying the dynamic between these two.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

true story i once stopped going to a smoothie place because it weirded me out that the person at the counter started recognizing me.

i mean i know that's inevitable but, like, i have a pattern i use when i order please don't go off-script i can't handle that. just don't acknowledge the familiarity it's fine.

(apparently customer service people are encouraged to track repeat customers and call them out like that???? i guess it's meant to be welcoming or something but i find it seriously off-putting)

I think that's an unusual reaction . . . at any rate a reaction suggesting a fair stack of social anxiety.

It it's not major social anxiety, I think it's a bit weird to get upset when the person serving you betrays the reality that they're a person rather than a robot. If you cut your servers, do they not bleed? (Please do not cut any servers to test this theory)

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Hmmm . . . the latest is posted up as "Ch. 3" but it isn't. I believe it's vol 3 ch 21.

Purple Library Guy
Ui & Yaaya discussion 26 Dec 14:41
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Dash it! Seems like it ended before we got to the really raunchy stuff . . . the anticipated handholding!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Soren posted:

Huhhh Mom said, "Stop with the unnecessary details."
instead of saying she shouldn't say things that are untrue.

Ren X Mom confirmed.

Or, she didn't want to deny their ship's fanservice but I'd rather go with the former.

That's what I thought at first, so I went to check the raws.

"Stop with the unnecessary details." is awkward translation of 别给我乱讲多余的话!

Which basically means "Stop with your nonsense" and doesn't imply anything about her relationship with Ren.

Maybe the translator should have found a better wording to avoid misunderstanding.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Drat. But thanks for clarifying; I think we were all wondering where in the timeskips their actual hooking up had gotten lost.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Wheeee!!!!!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"Hello mortal, we are going to have sex now"

Typical divinity.

Yeah, man, what with all these sex robots and hot aliens and angels and elves and goddesses descending into my bedroom, I can’t EVER get any sleep. It’s really terrible.

Now I'm imagining the manga about the person who's like that--every time they look around there's another one--oh wait, that's a typical shounen harem manga, never mind.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's not a schtick I generally like, but given the mangaka I expect it to be played pretty fluffy so I'll stick around. I mean, this is the person who wrote "Mutually Unrequited Twin Sisters" (which, when it dropped the "un", did so with a good deal of gusto).

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I like the translation's rendition of the otaku girls' elegant archaic diction.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

always a treat when we get a best couple chapter :D

Wait, there was a Mahi-Mahi chapter? Where?!! :p

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Y'all have that one moment, like, sudden urge to eat a sour fruit for some reason?

Something with some vitamin C is good this time of year . . .

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I ended up giving this a miss after the first few chapters. Like, it was a food yuri, and to enjoy that I would need either some yuri or I'd need to enjoy the food, and I really didn't see eye to eye with the author's taste in food.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

They won`t need to pretend a relationship because soon they will be in one.
So, maybe dancing bonds people quickly

Reminds me of the joke about Mennonites being against promiscuous sex because it could lead to dancing.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

YOOOOOOOO. ONE OF THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENTS EVER

Well. Happy birthday!

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Now they're her moms. So, we've had Science Babies, then Magic Babies . . . now Idiot Babies?