Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Also agree with the other comments that this arc feels weird and a very forced attempt to make us sympathize with Prez despite there being no justification at all, in addition to Seo's turn being literally out of nowhere apparently just to give them a justification which was never present in the manga so far.

It's also completely ignoring the content of volume 6 and going in a completely different direction with no acknowledgement of it whatsoever.

Maybe the author is planning to pull a reversal of the recent events. Or they didn't know where to go in terms of content and wanted to change and spice things up, even though it made no sense with what had happened before. Anyway, this volume has been fairly disappointing. We'll see what the remaining chapters have to offer...

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Miho coming in clutch once again

Akko%20x%20mari%2007
joined Mar 20, 2016

Glad to see I'm not the only one content with that dirtbag biting the dust. He's had no redeeming qualities until now, so I was glad to see Seo gut him.

sweetjalapeno15
Ne
joined Nov 21, 2017

yuri tag gone bc akira isnt here

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

akira is back and there was a panel focusing on hand touching.... that's mighty gay of you satsuki

2here3there
joined Mar 19, 2022

akira is back and the yuri is back too

Fihtlipucaaqy_l
joined Sep 30, 2023

Came back to this series and I'm glad I did.

Satsuki looking super excited to die is the most relatable thing I've ever seen in a manga.

joined Jun 3, 2014

Come on dynasty you gotta put the yuri tag back now that Akira is here, she's gay as hell

joined Mar 19, 2022

Glad to see I'm not the only one content with that dirtbag biting the dust. He's had no redeeming qualities until now, so I was glad to see Seo gut him.

It's just a shame only one of them died.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Satsuki and the president got to the point of gouging their own eyes out just to avoid the burden of knowledge

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Leave it to Akira to delete all of that suicidal ideation from Satsuki's silly little head.

That said, I am not sure how to feel about Miho pulling the trigger on Seo's own trap. On the one hand, Miho got a taste of her own medicine, will likely get all the criminal charges, and Miho was nice enough to let her off with a light concussion. On the other, Satsuki (and Akira, but Miho didn't know that) was still inside the gym, so Miho willingness to pull the trigger is a bit unnerving.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^ The explosion would've happened in a matter of seconds anyway once Seo got over the surprise of the remote device still being attached. Either Miho trusted Satsuki to get out of there alive or she didn't care.

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

If it wasn't for the fact that it came as such a surprise, Miho and Seo turning into psychopaths and watching Satsuki from afar in a kind of battle between villains would be quite exciting.

I mean, this looks awesome.

img

ManuTheBloodedge
joined Oct 20, 2022

erm... did the story just forget the setup that the girl who the Prez killed with lightning was very likely innocent? It was hinted that the whole oil switcheroo was Seo's doing anyway, and since she is basically Skeletor now, that seems increasingly plausible.
Then why is Vice Prez allowed to go out on a moral highnote here, leaving the gym like a badass and being admired by Satsuki, whith the very obvious and easy counter of "apart from acting out of fear and a superiority complex, you guys were not infallible and did and would have continued to kill innocent people" is never used.

The ONLY point the Prez had against Satsuki was the butterfly effect thing, that Satsuki saving people is causing the high numbers of deadly accidents, and that was conjecture at best. The whole justification angle with Seo falls totally flat. If you save someone who commits evil deeds later you had no possiblity or reason to see coming, you are not at fault. As if a fire fighter who pulls out a person from a burning building who secretly is a serial killer and continues to kill afterwards is somehow at fault for that.

I mean, Satsuki just accepting fault for things and not making an effort to defend herself has been there since chapter 1 and we have narrative reasons for it, but after many chapters of making friends and receiving emotional support, the character development we get for her is her wanting to die. Frigging A+.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

erm... did the story just forget the setup that the girl who the Prez killed with lightning was very likely innocent? It was hinted that the whole oil switcheroo was Seo's doing anyway, and since she is basically Skeletor now, that seems increasingly plausible.
Then why is Vice Prez allowed to go out on a moral highnote here, leaving the gym like a badass and being admired by Satsuki, whith the very obvious and easy counter of "apart from acting out of fear and a superiority complex, you guys were not infallible and did and would have continued to kill innocent people" is never used.

The ONLY point the Prez had against Satsuki was the butterfly effect thing, that Satsuki saving people is causing the high numbers of deadly accidents, and that was conjecture at best. The whole justification angle with Seo falls totally flat. If you save someone who commits evil deeds later you had no possiblity or reason to see coming, you are not at fault. As if a fire fighter who pulls out a person from a burning building who secretly is a serial killer and continues to kill afterwards is somehow at fault for that.

I mean, Satsuki just accepting fault for things and not making an effort to defend herself has been there since chapter 1 and we have narrative reasons for it, but after many chapters of making friends and receiving emotional support, the character development we get for her is her wanting to die. Frigging A+.

Only the readers and most likely Miho (from stealing Michiru's phone) know about the oil switcheroo, there's no way to hang it over prez and vice prez so far and it's entirely possible Miho will reveal it to make Seo's position even worse, in which case vice prez would have to be faced with the knowledge prez killed an innocent. Satsuki's state of mind is heavily altered from everything that's been going on and she's never been eloquent enough to effectively argue for her beliefs. Vice prez didn't get the moral high ground, Satsuki just admired her for managing to keep it together despite prez's death. If we're to believe the story is on route to replicate what we saw at the beginning of chapter 1, then Satsuki will convince herself the choices she made were sound, whether that will be just a coping mechanism or not. As for your firefighter example, you can bet many people who unknowingly save a serial killer would feel some responsibility over it. It's not a black and white matter.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

^ The explosion would've happened in a matter of seconds anyway once Seo got over the surprise of the remote device still being attached. Either Miho trusted Satsuki to get out of there alive or she didn't care.

Yea, it's that last part that unnerves me: Miho has never been a good person, even if she did help Satsuki lately, so the ambiguity of whether even cares about the latter's safety makes me uneasy.

last edited at Dec 14, 2023 7:23AM

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Aight, that panel with the "hold", you can't tell me that's NOT an explicit confirmation of their relationship by the author. Not when it's so intimate and sparkly bubbles.

ManuTheBloodedge
joined Oct 20, 2022

Only the readers and most likely Miho (from stealing Michiru's phone) know about the oil switcheroo, there's no way to hang it over prez and vice prez so far and it's entirely possible Miho will reveal it to make Seo's position even worse, in which case vice prez would have to be faced with the knowledge prez killed an innocent. Satsuki's state of mind is heavily altered from everything that's been going on and she's never been eloquent enough to effectively argue for her beliefs. Vice prez didn't get the moral high ground, Satsuki just admired her for managing to keep it together despite prez's death. If we're to believe the story is on route to replicate what we saw at the beginning of chapter 1, then Satsuki will convince herself the choices she made were sound, whether that will be just a coping mechanism or not. As for your firefighter example, you can bet many people who unknowingly save a serial killer would feel some responsibility over it. It's not a black and white matter.

Well, given that Satsuki believed the girl about the oil, she should have known about it and investigated accordingly. But the fact that we as readers know about it is enough. Vice Prez gets a triumphant scene that portrays her and the Prez in a positive light, when we as readers know about information that incriminates them, but is not featured. Vice Prez gets to aspouse her viewpoint of Satsuki being at fault for Prez's death unchallenged, with no mention of the obvious point that Prez got killed by someone he tried to kill, which could be considered fair game in some circumstances.
Even without the oil thing, I don't think it is even mentioned once within the story that Prez could be wrong when choosing a victim.

Granted, some of my criticism could be eleviated by future chapters, I just got the feeling that this Vice Prez scene was very final, she literally and figuratevly left the building, so to speak. I fear that she is not gonna feature much in the future, and we never get Prez's ideas and ideology challenged in any meaningful way.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Ahhh, I actually like Seo, I do think she wanted to change, but noticed she was a bit too out of it + Prez kept pushing her buttons, so the logical step is mass murdering.
Satsuki!!! I like her so much, tbh I don't see any yuri in the series, but I don't read it because of that, I read it cos Komachi makes my skin crawl and I wanna know her deal!!

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

Granted, some of my criticism could be eleviated by future chapters, I just got the feeling that this Vice Prez scene was very final, she literally and figuratevly left the building, so to speak. I fear that she is not gonna feature much in the future, and we never get Prez's ideas and ideology challenged in any meaningful way.

I really doubt that. She's now the person most firmly opposed to Satsuki's mindset. If the author wants to keep challenging it, she's the obvious person to do it and if they want to redeem it, her approval would mean the most. I agree that she came out looking too good and I do want her and especially prez taken down a peg, but if she reconsiders Satsuki's ideas just because he messed up once, that's kinda cheap. She needs to realize his whole thing was fucked.

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

Romance barely gets any attention in this series, so I'm fine with either Yuri tag or no. But I'm sort of miffed that such an epic Princess carry on the doule page p16&17 is apparently still not enough to get the tag suggestion approved. Come on!

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Miho's just been on fire these last few chapters, I can't even be mad at her for nearly blowing up Satsuki.

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

KISS HER KISS HER KISS HER KISS HER KISS HER KISS HER KISS HER KISS HER

joined May 29, 2021

I still think Komachi is going to turn out to be the ultimate villain.

joined Apr 10, 2023

I still can't get past how Seo was simultaneously trying to be good until the President's attempted murder made her snap, AND planting very complicated traps that are hardly stable by themselves in the school. Filling the school gym with hydrogen gas for example, I have no idea how feasible that is but if a spark from a single flame backstage could blow up the whole building then any random thing could have set it off. You couldn't even explain it as a contingency, making it 100% requires intending to kill people. And she was apparently working closely with Komachi, discussing ways or murdering people. But we get explicit internal monologue from Seo about how she's tried to be good. Considering this chapter seems to finally be an ending to pressing disasters, or at least I fucking hope so, they really need to go back and explain this all real good, hopefully with something more convincing than "Seo has a split personality and Good Seo didn't know what Evil Seo was doing", because it's so big that it distracts me from appreciating the rest of the manga.

last edited at Dec 15, 2023 1:51AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.