Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

cakeEnthusiast
Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

Wow okay. I hope that nutty bi**h ends up in jail, unless she dies from her own stunt somehow.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I actually really like the way this turned out. Prez wasn't entirely wrong about there being something fundamentally wrong with Seo, but at the same time just when she herself noticed that and tried to turn over a new leaf he pushed her over the edge turning her into exactly who he imagined she was. I don't think there was a more poetic way for him to go out.
As for Seo, I actually feel really bad for her. She's obviously a sociopath who at some point noticed her own tendencies and tried to surpress them, but it's sad to see her just give up, say fuck it and go past the point of no return. I know the series put emphasis on Satsuki and Prez's war of ideologies, but it's kinda fucked up seeing how it basically caused an already mentally not-ok person stuck in the middle go completely insane.

last edited at Oct 6, 2023 7:16AM

Image_push%20(3)
joined Nov 2, 2019

honestly, at this point she just snapped. She was thinking of turning a new leaf and the self-righteous prick pushed her to the point she complete went off the rails. I sort of understand where she is coming from.

But what is more interesting is that Komachi is an accomplice. We are finally getting why she's so weird

What are you talking about? Not only did she prepare the classroom to blow up, she murdered pervert chan beforehand.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

With Komachi i think this might be the same situation as when she Lion King'd Satsuki off a ledge bc she thought that's what Satsuki wanted.
Seo asked her to do smth and Komachi did it, bc she's just like that.

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

What are you talking about? Not only did she prepare the classroom to blow up, she murdered pervert chan beforehand.

Komachi did a murder?

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

Why this is yuri if it's not yuri

Satsuki acts pretty gay sometimes. But that definitely isn't a driving force at the moment

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Satsuki acts pretty gay sometimes. But that definitely isn't a driving force at the moment

Didn't the author state they are not into yuri?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Satsuki is pretty close to a mental breakdown. The question is, will it break her for good or will it finally induce a reevaluation of her beliefs?

Download
joined Jul 12, 2020

I can't believe how much murderers and psychos just get to keep walking in this manga. I don't think the Prez's best friend knows how to throw a punch. She just grabbed Seo's collar and yelled at her while crying after Seo killed her best friend. I get Seo had a knife but come on! She still went and grabbed Seo's collar, that's not what someone worried about being in stabbing range would do.

My willing suspension of disbelief was already strained by the events leading up to this. You would think that attempted murders, and one ACTUAL murder in Prez leading that one girl to be struck by lightning and killed, would elicit more guttural and violent reactions from people. But this entire time until now it's just been the Prez trying his best to go on an actual killing spree while Satsuki and the gang go "We'll save your victims because people deserve to live you meanie head!" and then the one time they failed Satsuki and Akira just got sad for a while :(. Meanwhile, Seo is the only one who finally did something about the Prez, but then the author decided to make her a psycho attempting mass murder of innocents and terrorism to paint her as a villain right after.

Oh, and we STILL don't have confirmation on whether Seo was actually trying to turn over a new leaf or if she was really a psycho the whole time who kills because it's fun, I guess?

I don't know, back to the Prez maybe I'm the weird one for thinking that at the very least Akira would have beat the snot out of him in a dark alleyway after school before this, but either way these current events are a step up from "making it look like an accident". The evidence in the classroom is absolutely straight up obvious attempted mass murder and terrorism, and the Prez was murdered with multiple witnesses. There's no way to pretend it's an accident now. If the authorities don't get involved and no one tells on Seo or apprehends her, and she somehow evades prison after this, and if no one confronts Komachi over being a sociopath, and I mean CONFRONT not "Geez Komachi what's wrong with you, being an accomplice in that attempted mass murder wasn't very nice!" Then I'm going to be completely convinced this whole plot is a fever dream and Satsuki has actually just been in a coma this whole time.

last edited at Oct 19, 2023 5:04AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

Agree with pretty much all of the above. The least few chapters have been all over the place and they don't really add up well at all, especially with details like how on earth could Seo intricately plan all this shit is she only stopped trying to be "good" while she was choking as the Prez watched and gloated? It's like she snapped and then somehow time traveled to retroactively be a scheming evil genius exactly of the same sort that the Prez was.
And I'm totally not a fan of Komachi's "heel turn" because it was telegraphed so obviously and heavy handedly in the very first chapter that not subverting it feels super weird and awkward. "Yeah that weird kid with mental health issues who you had a bad first impression of? No need to check your biases or anything you were right about her all along!" My best guess for her motive is some kind of revenge plot against Satsuki for saving her life when she wants to die, but it's such a fucking stupid scheme if that's the case. We went from cool mysteries to one dimensional scheming villains who start and end looking exactly the same to the audience.
Prez dying while remaining shallow as a puddle makes me hope that maybe there's a twist there, with the scene as shown to us if he was dying and VP did something Satsuki didn't see to save him, the smoke would have disappeared in the exact same way. So maybe there's another twist there, idk. Even if that happens I can't really imagine him somehow turning into a satisfying antagonist anyway.

last edited at Oct 19, 2023 6:20AM

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

That plot twist was pretty cheap in my opinion tbh.

I just want to know about Komachi's intentions n leave this manga for good.

joined Jan 3, 2015

I stopped reading this cause I noticed how bad it was influencing my mood and life in general, the story/possible Yuri was promising but not worth the toll

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

Obviously Seo planned all this before the prez came after her. She might have had plans to prevent the explosion if he backed down, but honestly, probably not. She probably made a mild attempt to turn over a new leaf, but gave up some time ago and this was just validation of something she was already convinced of.

About her going all the way to mass murder, though. Normally I'm fine with detectives encountering death everywhere they go because "it's just that kind of story", but the president found it unnatural, so I guess it's not. Similarly, this could just be "the kind of story" where every other character is insane, but is it though? Should I find that unnatural? Not knowing how far I should stretch my suspension of disbelief can hurt a mystery manga.

But anyway, none of this really bothers me much because I'm way too invested in Satsuki and her turning point to mind.

joined Jun 3, 2014

Akira acts pretty gay sometimes too plus the crazy lesbian that died

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

They said they don't really have an opinion on it either way but that they think yuri mangaka do a really good job/really admire yuri mangaka.

joined May 29, 2021

Personally I’ve been suspicious of Komacchi for most of the manga, so I don’t think that’s out of nowhere.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Personally I’ve been suspicious of Komacchi for most of the manga, so I don’t think that’s out of nowhere.

They haven't so much as been foreshadowing or dropping hints as explicitly framing her as a future threat, if this was a tv show there would have been multiple scenes by now of her standing by a window lit from below and smirking evilly while lightning flashes. It's been so obvious that it feels weird to not twist it, because I thought this was supposed to be a mystery series.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I've gotta say, I've really enjoyed Miho's development from a thorn in Satsuki's side to one of her firmest friends

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

confront Komachi about being a sociopath

unless you mean someone directly saying "hey, you're a crazy, nutty, dangerous bitch. What the actual fuck is your deal?", that's not how that works.

for homework, explain what Komachi's deal is

Well, her chart says she's all fucked up. She talks like a creep, and her shit's all yandered.

last edited at Oct 20, 2023 12:58AM

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

Nah, not Komachi. Seo being the mass murderer and prez n vice prez being the good guys by killing the greater evil. I mean, why? Prez was a good antagonist with an opposite purpose for the same ability of seeing death. even their backstory gave us a good point to sympathize with them and their way of doing things. It feels forced to have Seo be the reason to give the antagonists a reason to justify them.

Let me add that it would make so much sense if Komachi was the mass murder or the real target n get to the point of saving the wrong people and u know anime girl speach.

last edited at Oct 20, 2023 3:11AM

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Nah, not Komachi. Seo being the mass murderer and prez n vice prez being the good guys by killing the greater evil. I mean, why? Prez was a good antagonist with an opposite purpose for the same ability of seeing death. even their backstory gave us a good point to sympathize with them and their way of doing things. It feels forced to have Seo be the reason to give the antagonists a reason to justify them.

Let me add that it would make so much sense if Komachi was the mass murder or the real target n get to the point of saving the wrong people and u know anime girl speach.

The prez was in no way being the good guy. Killing "bad" people (not all of them were) is still bad without making an effort to use the systems that exist. Villains rarely think they are doing wrong and by extension it's the rest of the people who are the evil ones.

The Seo reveal was a bit out there, but also a case of "become the monster you made me" situation. She wasn't a saint by any means, but bullying isn't worthy of death. The constant attempts degraded her mental health to this outcome.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I've gotta say, I've really enjoyed Miho's development from a thorn in Satsuki's side to one of her firmest friends

I wouldn't say she is Satsuki's friend, as she is still way too egotistical to have true friendships (counter-example: Akira), but I agree that she has been slowly developing a certain fondness for Satsuki that goes beyond the simple "I stick with you so you can keep me alive" arrangement they started out with. Miho is also important as a thematic counter-argument to Seo, showing that a former bully can reform her ways, despite unfavorable circumstances. She is not a good person yet, but not a shitty person anymore, either.

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

Man, this most recent chapter pissed people off. I'm kinda of sad it's causing people to drop the series, but I understand that some of the things in the story are pretty ludicrous, primarily the context surrounding the two actual deaths in the story (lightning and seo's plot). I still love the series overall so I'm going to stick around for the long hall.

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

They haven't so much as been foreshadowing or dropping hints as explicitly framing her as a future threat, if this was a tv show there would have been multiple scenes by now of her standing by a window lit from below and smirking evilly while lightning flashes. It's been so obvious that it feels weird to not twist it, because I thought this was supposed to be a mystery series.

It can still be a twist, but just for the main characters and not us. Sometimes that actually works better, like when it was already kind of obvious which Komachi might fall under. It's like how in Invincible, Omni-Man was very obviously evil and always treated as such, but he was still technically a twist villain since the other characters in the show didn't see him coming. It's still risky and the author will need good writing to make it work.

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

I stopped reading this cause I noticed how bad it was influencing my mood and life in general, the story/possible Yuri was promising but not worth the toll

Dang, I'm sorry to here this happened. I hope you're doing better. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that a story could have that much of an impact on a person.

To reply you must either login or sign up.