Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

yokoyamabouzaemon
Img_0951
joined Sep 7, 2023

hm…i’m not sure how i feel about these have-actually-met-before-but-didn’t-know-it-yet stories for aichie and kanae/onoda…obviously they’re very cute stories and a nice glimpse into each character, but it feels sort of phoned in after chapter 0, where we get to see them meet for the first time, only to have THESE specials be all “well this is their ACTUAL first meeting.” no hate, love kishi. just my thoughts!!

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

hm…i’m not sure how i feel about these have-actually-met-before-but-didn’t-know-it-yet stories for aichie and kanae/onoda…obviously they’re very cute stories and a nice glimpse into each character, but it feels sort of phoned in after chapter 0, where we get to see them meet for the first time, only to have THESE specials be all “well this is their ACTUAL first meeting.” no hate, love kishi. just my thoughts!!

Personally I think adding an extra layer to the relationships, furthering them by saying they go back even further, is a fun bit of extra information even if it's a late into the series. So I wouldn't say they're phoned in myself.

joined Apr 10, 2023

I agree with that take for the Kanae one specifically because she simply does not feel at all like she does at the actual start of the series, personality-wise. The way she starts the series I find it really hard to imagine classmates would be asking her for help and she'd not be anxious or particularly bothered by it. She has that whole arc of loosening up and realizing her new classmates are genuine and not looking to bully or mock her

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Same. The AixChie one doesn't bother me because they don't actually interact, they just walk by each other without even a glance, so it has no impact on what was actually shown at the beginning of the manga.

HarukaxKanae, onthe other hand... They are shown has having interacted before, in a way that should have sticked with Kanae, How is it that she didn't remember Haruka as "oh, is it that girl from the vending machine ? We even ended up in the same class ?"

Sure, Haruka has a different hairstyle, but feels like they should remember that interaction as their first.

joined May 23, 2013

HarukaxKanae, onthe other hand... They are shown has having interacted before, in a way that should have sticked with Kanae, How is it that she didn't remember Haruka as "oh, is it that girl from the vending machine ? We even ended up in the same class ?"

Note that this isn't the actual entrance exam, but a practice test held in eight grade. Haruka and Kanae weren't necessarily in the same class during their first year of high school, so there may have been two years between this and their next interaction. Seems like a long enough time to forget the face of a person you talked with casually for a few minutes.

yokoyamabouzaemon
Img_0951
joined Sep 7, 2023

Note that this isn't the actual entrance exam, but a practice test held in eight grade. Haruka and Kanae weren't necessarily in the same class during their first year of high school, so there may have been two years between this and their next interaction. Seems like a long enough time to forget the face of a person you talked with casually for a few minutes.

still, i think it feels a a tad bit detrimental to their established relationship.

joined May 10, 2021

Man I was so ready for an inappropriate height-gap joke at the end... Shame on me for this one.

joined Apr 10, 2023

That was adorable. I'm glad the author did this instead of finding some way for them to have met as kids before meeting in the manga story lol.
Also weird time compression feeling to see Eli talk about watching Amazon prime streaming before she came to Japan when she was introduced in the manga back in 2013, long before Amazon Prime streaming was even called that, and way before they were licensing and localizing anime I think. It's like a Simpsons thing where the characters don't age but time keeps flowing around them in real time, updating their pasts and presents.

last edited at May 18, 2024 10:02AM

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Seeing a character talk about the ''good old days'' of watching anime on a freaking streaming service is making my soon to be 41 years old ass feel impossibly decrepit and more than ever one step away from the grave XD Better start taking some geritol I guess.

joined Oct 15, 2019

Really enjoyed Eli/Honaka's past chapter just because it didn't revise the past like it did for Haruka/Kanae.

joined Dec 19, 2023

Nice chapter I love Elisha honoka and it was very funny credit page being wholesome is something I'd never expect

20210727_225006
joined Dec 9, 2021

Awwwww. The Last Page is so cute

Aand_this_one_too_by_shiniez
joined Jan 19, 2013

That was adorable. I'm glad the author did this instead of finding some way for them to have met as kids before meeting in the manga story lol.
Also weird time compression feeling to see Eli talk about watching Amazon prime streaming before she came to Japan when she was introduced in the manga back in 2013, long before Amazon Prime streaming was even called that, and way before they were licensing and localizing anime I think. It's like a Simpsons thing where the characters don't age but time keeps flowing around them in real time, updating their pasts and presents.

Yes, this is how said manga has been going for years like Simpsons or Family Guy, they do not take the King of the Hill approach of a long running show.

joined Jan 19, 2013

Really enjoyed Eli/Honaka's past chapter just because it didn't revise the past like it did for Haruka/Kanae.

I was pissed more about Ai & Chie since they supposedly only met in High School from how chapter 0 and 1 interactions went. A single meeting both forgot about until some event helps them remember seems more plausible hen an Ai & Chie Knowing each other pre meeting for first time in High School year 1.

last edited at May 18, 2024 6:23PM

20220118_232511_50
joined Jun 3, 2015

I was pissed more about Ai & Chie since they supposedly only met in High School from how chapter 0 and 1 interactions went. A single meeting both forgot about until some event helps them remember seems more plausible hen an Ai & Chie Knowing each other pre meeting for first time in High School year 1.

But they don't meet? They just walk past each other without taking any notice at all?

joined Jan 19, 2013

So I assume these two have been in useless lesbian with each other since elementary school? Wow.

Actually, they didn't meet until high school. And when Chie first saw Ai, believe it or not, she didn't like her because she thought she seemed like a "Yankee" (a delinquent). Or at least that's what she told herself. But Chie was still weirdly fixated on her and started to get drawn in, and when she learned Ai was actually a really nice person, became completely infatuated.

I'm pretty sure @Liliaĵa was talking about Ayano and Miyoshi ;⁠-⁠)

As badly as this forum tends to abuse "useless lesbian" and "idiot couple" yeah I would imagine Ai and Chie are as close as "safe" as anyone can get from that since they've been a couple since like, what, their fourth or fifth chapter together?

Didn't Chie basically do a proposal to Ai in asking about future when saying I'm home or almost ask for a proposal before interruptions?

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Little Honoka wishing for a school friend breaks my heart.

joined Jan 19, 2013

But they don't meet? They just walk past each other without taking any notice at all?

I had mixed up chapters from Ai and Chie with one before it.

last edited at May 19, 2024 4:36AM

joined Jan 19, 2013

Probably due in part to her liking anime and then who her parents are I bet does not help in a place like Alabama.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Probably due in part to her liking anime and then who her parents are I bet does not help in a place like Alabama.

You're mixing up Honoka and Eli. And making strange assumptions about her parents and the Alabama anime fandom lmao. Eli by all accounts had a good time in Alabama, she had a lot of personal freedom and a group of friends, and a lot of photos of happy memories she's shown Honoka like when she dressed as a "witch" lol.

yokoyamabouzaemon
Img_0951
joined Sep 7, 2023

totally agree with you there, this is also probably my favorite of the past chapters so far

last edited at May 19, 2024 6:07PM

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

I think it’s plausible Kanae doesn’t remember. Before Kanae connected with her classmates she always seemed like she was an outsider peering into the world of high school girls. She didn’t get how her classmates would act the way they would and thought school was only about studying and getting good grades. This recent mininchapter even finishes with her saying that she felt she would 100% get in because of her ability, discounting the serendipity and romanticism of odds/chance.

Haruka on the other hand always seems to notice the serendipity and small moments, I can see her remembering the vending machine moment and Kanae.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Oh damn oh damn OH DAMN, DRAMA IS BACK IN OTOME NO TEIKOKU AND OF COURSE IT'S KAORU LOL

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

17hunter00 posted:

Oh damn oh damn OH DAMN, DRAMA IS BACK IN OTOME NO TEIKOKU AND OF COURSE IT'S KAORU LOL

I mean, in this time is not Kaoru. Kaoru is just worried about the sister. The drama source is the fact that Elisha is supposed to leave Japan

snoopy_from_peanuts
Tumblr_mrfzgkpani1rzp26no5_250
joined Aug 11, 2021

i think we do forget that kaoru really loves honoka and wants her to be happy, she doesn't hate elisha or think she's bad, she's worried that honoka after all these years of being so introverted and semi distant is going to lose someone she obviously cares about a great deal. how she's going to go about communicating this is going to be interesting based on the way we've seen kaoru play puppet master with people in the past.

(maybe kaoru is going to use her diverse series of flirtations to get straight to the top of japan's immigration department and get elisha a citizenship lol)

To reply you must either login or sign up.