Forum › A Room For Two discussion

joined Jun 12, 2015

We just get the reveal that Kasumi talk so much about Sakurako that her mother:
-Know her daughter really love Sakurako
-Consider the later her daughter-in-law
Like she Kasumi said, the only reason she don't go all "I love you" is because it's just that obvious, and probably because Sakurako would just go all ballistic if she hear this too often lol.

On another note, I'm pretty sure Sakurako have read some book about masochism at some point, I'm sure of it.

Mhm. Good chapters. I'm surprised it's rushing ahead this much now; that year passed pretty quickly ^^;

Me too- but maybe the college years were always gonna be short? Or it could be there are plans to cover into their life after college too- (doesnt seem too likely). Or maybe the magazine /publisher has given them a deadline to wrap it up by?

It's actually inline with the rest of the manga, If you look back, you can see that 1 year pass for every 10-12 chapter. I'm pretty sure the author go 1 year IRL = 1 year in the story

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

[...]and then I realize these two have been married since they met.

Pretty much. The slow and gradual growth of their relationship means that it's pointless to look for a specific moment where it crossed the line from friends to lovers. The only one moment you can find that made a difference in their relationship really was the moment they met.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

[...]and then I realize these two have been married since they met.

Pretty much. The slow and gradual growth of their relationship means that it's pointless to look for a specific moment where it crossed the line from friends to lovers. The only one moment you can find that made a difference in their relationship really was the moment they met.

I completely agree with your point, but I want to point out two more moments that seemed to (even if subtly) change their relationship.

Because of what happened in here:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch29#3
Sakurako seemed to have have realized that she didn't have to hold back anymore.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch32#9
Sakurako's confession here is the point where she started to more or less take their relationship as a given and acted it too.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch32#13
And in the same chapter Kasumi (most likely) realized that they were already a couple for a while. Ever since that moment she has been much more proactive in their relationship (like supporting them with her jobs and seriously thinking what to do later and agreeing to live together). And things like this started to happen:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch34#4

So uh... yeah. I feel like chapter 32 was the second turning point.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 3:20PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch32#9
Sakurako's confession here is the point where she started to more or less take their relationship as a given and acted it too.

And for those who are unaware/have forgotten, "月が綺麗ですね / Tsuki ga kirei desu ne? / The moon is beautiful, isn’t it?" is a well-known, "roundabout" way to say "I love you" in Japanese. ~_^

Also, lololololol @ "sit on my face" and "<3" at the casual neck-fixin' smoochin'.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 8:00PM

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Those chapters were adorable.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

am i the only one that noticed seri's room mate got a job, as a tv production assistant, right out of highschool, without any college educaction? lol she has got to have some connections XD

either that or the position is more glorified than it sounds and they give it to mostly anyone lol

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 5:28PM

joined Jul 19, 2018

I'm surprised nobody commented on the fact that although Kasumi rebuffed Sakurako's over the top attempts at physical affection like she usually does, this time instead of just outright bluntly stopping her, she instead made a comment about how they shouldn't be doing this outside which is a first. Implicit in that statement is the idea that if they were alone indoors she might be ok with it.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 8:05PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

And so, Kasumom's random comment made her daughter look from seemingly indiferent, to just bashful... at least up until Sakurako is unable to keep her kinks under control, in which case she's rightfully annoyed.

What are you talking about, "rightfully annoyed"? She's clearly explicitly playing along with the kink her girlfriend JUST expressed to her! ;p

PS: I originally wanted to comment on the kimonos, but that sutff blew me away. Kasumi is wearing cherryblossom and pink (Sakurako) and Sakurako is wearing light blue (mist/Kasumi). To put it like a terrible fanfiction author: "They were stained in each other's colors."

Terrible fanfiction writers might also want to mention how Kasumi seems to love anything sakura-flavored. Her brain, her heart, and her stomach must be overlapping.

Yeah, that stuff was all very "hmmmm". ;p

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

A while ago, I was asked to write a review of "A Room For Two" for a Facebook group in which I'm a member (a group for yuri fans). This is how my review began:

*** @}-->--- ***

Sakurako is a baby lesbian, 14-15 in age, who is about to start high school. Her new school is an exclusive boarding school, so she has to get a room at the boarding house associated to the school. The house is set up for two people to a room, and Sakurako has yet to meet her new roommate. Then, the girl arrives... and Sakurako can't believe her eyes: she's an ABSOLUTE GODDESS! A stunning blonde beauty with the body of a supermodel, big firm boobs, flawlessly fair skin, perfect shapely legs, a sexy round butt and a face so pretty it's breathtaking! And yes, she's only 15, just like Sakurako. Our poor Sakurako is so stupefied she even wonders if they are the same species! Like, she's Homo Sapiens Sapiens, but Kasumi (that's her roommate's name) must be Homo Perfectis Divinis or something! Oh, and the first thing Kasumi does after entering their room is stripping to her panties and laying down on the tatami mats in a lazy, sexy pose... which doesn't exactly help Sakurako recover from her state of awed wonderment, lol.

As usual in Japan, their room comes empty; they are expected to bring the furniture and everything else themselves. So they go shopping for all the stuff they need. They are going to live for the next three years in that shared room, so there's a lot to buy! At the tableware department, Sakurako says they should get matching mugs with a heart design on the side (the sort of mugs typically used by lovers and newlyweds), then she goes: "Haha, just kidding, that was a joke!" But Kasumi says: "Sure, okay, let's buy that." That leaves Sakurako speechless, wondering if she really is reading right the signals Kasumi seems to be sending her. Then, at the bedding department, they face a dilemma: the room is too small for two beds, but Kasumi doesn't want to use futons. Sakurako says: "I know! I'll get a single bed, and you can sleep with me! Hahaha, a joke, that was just a joke; of course you wouldn't..." And Kasumi replies: "Good idea. We'll do just that." And Sakurako looks at her in utter astonishment, wondering if she's dreaming, feeling like she can't believe her good luck... because, after a statement like that, there's no more room for doubt and no more chance of misunderstanding: yes, Kasumi feels for her the same way she feels for Kasumi; yes, this amazing blonde goddess actually likes her and wants to have THAT kind of relationship with her!!!

This is a simple lesbian wish-fulfillment story focused on Sakurako and mostly told from her point of view. Of course, we get to see through Kasumi's eyes from time to time, but pretty much every chapter is about Sakurako doing everything she can to make Kasumi happy (which is often a heap of work, as Kasumi can be high-maintenance a lot of the time) and being rewarded with Kasumi's sweet love.

*** @}-->--- ***

This was the introduction. After this, I went on summarizing how the story moves on, how their relationship develops, how they graduate from school and start attending college, and, of course, how their bond keeps on getting stronger as their happy married life goes on.

I wonder, based on these first paragraphs, what do y'all think? Would you say I nailed it?

joined Mar 8, 2019

I wonder, based on these first paragraphs, what do y'all think? Would you say I nailed it?

Pretty much nailed it I’d say.

I just love the couples in this. After reading things like Citrus and Murcielago, it was nice to come upon a manga that’s so uncomplicated.

There’s very little drama here (I think the most was dramatic this got was with Seri and Shouko getting together but that was quickly resolved) yet there’s character and romantic development in between the slice of life stuff that keeps me reeled in.

Also love that the couples all started off differently.

Kasurako basically are dating since they met. Even though Shouri were also roommates, they had that will they won’t they thing. Koruka were actually friends before they started dating.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^@White Rose
I would say that’s an accurate reading of the story. I’m not sure how many first-time readers would necessarily agree with it, though, mostly because (in the part you quoted) you don’t quite say why Kasumi is so “high maintenance,” which is her almost superhuman laziness.

Judging by the comments here, a number of readers assume that, rather than having a initial romantic interest in Sakurako, Kasumi is just going with the flow, letting her roommate take care of her and do all the various everyday things that Kasumi can’t be bothered to do.

I don’t agree with that reading—I think you can see Kasumi’s fondness for Sakurako from the very beginning (look at her expression when Sakurako says, “Let’s go home” on the last page of Chapter 1):

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch01#16

Don’t get me wrong—I totally agree with your reading of the two of them being emotionally bonded from the start. But Kasumi’s deadpan nonchalance about (almost) everything does open the door for oppositional readings that see the connection between the two very differently. The thing that makes that “almost” necessary—Kasumi’s fierce reaction when bonbon-drunk Sakurako is about to kiss another girl—also is one of the most obvious things that show that they’re wrong and you’re right.

last edited at Mar 22, 2019 1:00AM

Riamu
joined Aug 28, 2018

"if you're going to sit on me sit on my face" I'm dead

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Sakurako becomes more of a degenerate every day. And yet, they're still so cute.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

^@White Rose
I would say that’s an accurate reading of the story. I’m not sure how many first-time readers would necessarily agree with it, though, mostly because (in the part you quoted) you don’t quite say why Kasumi is so “high maintenance,” which is her almost superhuman laziness.

Judging by the comments here, a number of readers assume that, rather than having a initial romantic interest in Sakurako, Kasumi is just going with the flow, letting her roommate take care of her and do all the various everyday things that Kasumi can’t be bothered to do.

I don’t agree with that reading—I think you can see Kasumi’s fondness for Sakurako from the very beginning (look at her expression when Sakurako says, “Let’s go home” on the last page of Chapter 1):

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch01#16

Don’t get me wrong—I totally agree with your reading of the two of them being emotionally bonded from the start. But Kasumi’s deadpan nonchalance about (almost) everything does open the door for oppositional readings that see the connection between the two very differently. The thing that makes that “almost” necessary—Kasumi’s fierce reaction when bonbon-drunk Sakurako is about to kiss another girl—also is one of the most obvious things that show that they’re wrong and you’re right.

They definitely both like each other. However I don't think it's accurate, literally or figuratively, to say they're ALREADY in a romantic relationship, not yet anyway. They still have another step or two left to go, and since two couples have already gone official thus far, it's fairly safe to say they'll get there. What I don't buy is that Kasumi secretly thought they were going out the whole time, or that they're making out and having sex off-panel.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

They definitely both like each other. However I don't think it's accurate, literally or figuratively, to say they're ALREADY in a romantic relationship, not yet anyway. They still have another step or two left to go, and since two couples have already gone official thus far, it's fairly safe to say they'll get there. What I don't buy is that Kasumi secretly thought they were going out the whole time, or that they're making out and having sex off-panel.

They:
-Love each other (confirmed by both now)
-Live together
-Support each other in all matters of life
-Casually kiss
-Go on dates
-Sleep in the same bed and cuddle (Saku even gives Kasumi hickeys)
-Their relatiopnship is acknolwedged by both families
-Decide to live together for the rest of their lives

I don't know what more you need for them to be a couple aside from verbal confirmation. Which as we just established, is pretty much not needed.

I agree though that they probably didn't have sex yet. That just doesn't seem to fit with their interactions and would be kind of a bigger deal.

last edited at Mar 22, 2019 4:06AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

PS: I originally wanted to comment on the kimonos, but that sutff blew me away. Kasumi is wearing cherryblossom and pink (Sakurako) and Sakurako is wearing light blue (mist/Kasumi). To put it like a terrible fanfiction author: "They were stained in each other's colors."

Terrible fanfiction writers might also want to mention how Kasumi seems to love anything sakura-flavored. Her brain, her heart, and her stomach must be overlapping.

Yeah, it has that Sakurako taste to it.

joined Jul 19, 2018

They:
-Love each other (confirmed by both now)
-Live together
-Support each other in all matters of life
-Casually kiss
-Go on dates
-Sleep in the same bed and cuddle (Saku even gives Kasumi hickeys)
-Their relatiopnship is acknolwedged by both families
-Decide to live together for the rest of their lives

I don't know what more you need for them to be a couple aside from verbal confirmation. Which as we just established, is pretty much not needed.

I agree though that they probably didn't have sex yet. That just doesn't seem to fit with their interactions and would be kind of a bigger deal.

I don't think it can really be argued that they aren't a couple or that their love is not mutual at this point especially after Kasumi's outright confession in these latest chapters. It wasn't really ambiguous before this but it's been spelled out now for any doubters.

The one thing that can be argued is if Kasumi has any sexual interest in Sakurako or anyone else for that matter since she constantly shuts Sakurako down the moment she tries to take things past cuddling or an occasional light kiss and has never shown any interest in sex or physical intimacy beyond basic cuddling. It's one of the things I am constantly looking for when reading this series, any sign of Kasumi instigating or desiring physical affection from her partner.

Over the course of the series Kasumi has shut Sakurako down every single time she tries to take things past first base, often quit brutally. One of the big firsts a lot of people overlooked in this chapter was when Sakurako was drunk, Kasumi was way less firm about shutting her down than usual. Although she did outright stop her, she actually implied it might be ok if they were indoors in private rather than outside.

Moments like that are actually a pretty big development and we have been seeing more of them recently. Another big one was the chapter at the movie theater where Kasumi actually reached for and held Sakurako's hand without any prompting from her.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I don't think it can really be argued that they aren't a couple or that their love is not mutual at this point especially after Kasumi's outright confession in these latest chapters. It wasn't really ambiguous before this but it's been spelled out now for any doubters.

Over the course of the series Kasumi has shut Sakurako down every single time she tries to take things past first base, often quit brutally. One of the big firsts a lot of people overlooked in this chapter was when Sakurako was drunk, Kasumi was way less firm about shutting her down than usual. Although she did outright stop her, she actually implied it might be ok if they were indoors in private rather than outside.

Moments like that are actually a pretty big development and we have been seeing more of them recently. Another big one was the chapter at the movie theater where Kasumi actually reached for and held Sakurako's hand without any prompting from her.

Well @themusicman500 just did question that they are in a romantic relationship. So I guess some can.

You know, people keep saying that, but where is an actual example of that? I don't remember Kasumi ever shutting down an attempt of Sakurako to take it further... because Saku never tries to take it further. The only times she did that was when Saku was drunk. I can't think of any other moments. Kasumi is brutal when Saku acts creepy or worships idols of her Kasumi religion, but that's it.

last edited at Mar 22, 2019 6:37AM

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Yeah, it has that Sakurako taste to it.

She's very familiar with Sakurako's taste, after all. :P

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

One thing that newcomers to the Land of Yuri Readership quickly learn is that its individual inhabitants often insist on strict Criteria and Definitions—for what counts as “yuri” or “subtext” or “being a couple” or when love is “romantic,” etc.—and often the more idiosyncratic the Definition the more vehemently the Yuri Reader may insist that they are articulating a Basic Principle of the Universe.

In this case, even though we’re talking about same-sex relationships among contemporary teenaged (until recently) women, it’s striking how fundamentally old-fashioned some of those criteria can be.

Sakurako and Kasumi are, by direct textual evidence, in a committed long-term monogamous relationship, one by which most standards (in jurisdictions where such things are recognized) could legally be considered a common-law marriage. (When both moms say they’re married, they’re a good long step towards being married.)

But some readers seem to be devoted to what amounts to a contemporary version of medieval canon law—only the overt depiction of mutually administered orgasms can qualify as consummation of a relationship in the eyes of God and (well, usually the term is “man,” but that’s at best awkward here), a modern version of a traditional “bedding ritual” that is required before these de facto spouses can be truly said to be “going out.”

(Although, as I said before, these two are much more likely to stay in than to go out.)

last edited at Mar 22, 2019 7:32AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

One thing that newcomers to the Land of Yuri Readership quickly learn is that its individual inhabitants often insist on strict Criteria and Definitions—for what counts as “yuri” or “subtext” or “being a couple” or when love is “romantic,” etc.—and often the more idiosyncratic the Definition the more vehemently the Yuri Reader may insist that they are articulating a Basic Principle of the Universe.

In this case, even though we’re talking about same-sex relationships among contemporary teenaged (until recently) women, it’s striking how fundamentally old-fashioned some of those criteria can be.

Sakurako and Kasumi are, by direct textual evidence, in a committed long-term monogamous relationship, one by which most standards (in jurisdictions where such things are recognized) could legally be considered a common-law marriage. (When both moms say they’re married, they’re a good long step towards being married.)

But some readers seem to be devoted to what amounts to a contemporary version of medieval canon law—only the overt depiction of mutually administered orgasms can qualify as consummation of a relationship in the eyes of God and (well, usually the term is “man,” but that’s at best awkward here), a modern version of a traditional “bedding ritual” that is required before these de facto spouses can be truly said to be “going out.”

(Although, as I said before, these two are much more likely to stay in than to go out.)

Ahhh, now those people's comments of how the MCs aren't a couple yet make a bit more sense thanks to your explanation. Seriously, though, why do such old ideas (or, at least, slightly modified versions of old ideas) have/need to persist. It's dumb.

Cerberus_pikomarie-supersmall
joined Feb 27, 2019

sakurako is developing some really weird fetishes

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

sakurako is developing some really weird fetishes

Are you talking Sakurako drunk or sober? Because I think her sober ones stabilized at a fairly high level some time ago, maybe even tapered off a bit.

I mean, jealousy about other people seeing Kasumi's internal organs is a bit unusual, to be sure, but does face-sitting even count as a fetish at all?

I'd think that was just a posture choice . . .

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

All of Sakurako's "fetishes" are just facettes of masochism. Something you may very well need to handle a relationship with Kasumi.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^
I don't buy into that whole "Sakurako is masochistic" thing.
Please do some mental gymnastics to prove it to me (like you did with the whole thing with Midori and Manaka over at the YagaKimi thread).

EDIT:
I can already imagine @BugDevil cracking their nuckles, then quoting a meme (without even putting it into the reply), and then proceeding to reply to this post.

last edited at Mar 22, 2019 1:13PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.