Forum › Do you find yourself thinking in different languages??

joined Mar 31, 2012

Maybe it's just me, but when I get into a big anime kick or watch a movie with a lot of foreign languages or accents, my little head-voice starts to talk just like that too... Like, I'll be using little Japanese phrases, or talking in a British or Spanish accent. I'm not a super-big language buff or anything, but I apparently have a knack for picking up accents and pronunciation habits from other languages. Does this kinda thing happen to anyone else? Just curious :)

joined Mar 15, 2012

it sure does...^^

joined Oct 11, 2010

This is exactly what happens to me. It's part of why I became a linguistics major.

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

Sometimes.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I can seemlessly switch between thinking in Serbocroatian and thinking in English without even noticing, so yeah, all the time. There are occasuons where different languages also get entangled, especially when I watch documentaries or TV series. Especially when trying my hardest to read place names or person names as accurately as possible.

last edited at Aug 22, 2020 3:57AM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Usually only if I'm reading a book or VERY text heavy manga in Japanese. Then it gets in my head. I haven't done that type of reading much lately.

joined Jan 14, 2020

I'm not really there yet, but when I left a Spanish-speaking country, it was a shift to be using English with the attendants on the (American) airline. Likewise leaving Japan after a few months for Australia. I do have arbitrary moments of using 'hai', 'da', or 'si' instead of yes. I particularly like 'nyet' for no, perhaps because it sounds like "not yet" too.

last edited at Sep 13, 2020 6:10PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

...isn't this what happens to pretty much everyone once they hit certain level of fluency? It really streamlines things when you no longer need to mentally translate to/from your native and can just switch gears on the fly.

Can also cause moments of embrassment when you're, say, reading something and don't remember to switch modes when someone speaks to you >_>

123548.320x180
joined Aug 7, 2013

Depends on what language I'm using. When Speaking/reading my native Swedish, I think in that.
I then switch everything over when using English.
I think that is the most robust sign that you are fluent in a language, when you can naturally switch without effort.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Being trilingual, I regularly find myself randomly thinking in one of my three languages, depending on which one I actually spoke last and which audience I imagine telling whatever I am currently thinking to.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Only when I'm thinking about how to say something in my L2

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

What about computer-based languages?

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

Not sure if this counts, but I recently stumbled across some pictures of a model named Mimi Desuka, which I immediately translated in my head as "Are these ears?" She isn't Japanese, by the way, and no, those weren't her ears.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I think some things are just easier to express in one language than in another, e.g. my brain just defaults to Japanese when it comes to reactions as Japanese offers so much material to work with

joined Aug 29, 2019

I've been speaking English for two thirds of my life, studied it in university and now work as a translator. I consume nearly all my entertainment media in English. My (formulated) thoughts freely switch between English and German, partly depending on which context I'm thinking about.

I also "listen" to Manga, mostly with voices adapted from English anime dubs. I feel no shame.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I've been speaking English for two thirds of my life, studied it in university and now work as a translator. I consume nearly all my entertainment media in English. My (formulated) thoughts freely switch between English and German, partly depending on which context I'm thinking about.

Replace German with Estonian for me and we're good. Well, almost, probably closer to half my life instead of two thirds. Had a period during school time where I was also often using German for both thinking and talking to friends as we were mostly watching German TV at the time. And, weirdly enough, despite very little knowledge of it, I sometimes also slip into Japanese nowadays when it comes to thinking about related subjects...

To reply you must either login or sign up.