Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I really appreciate all the subtle edits from the novel, like Relaire being more in the picture and all that. It really is a fresh experience reading the manga even after having finished the novel.
Also must restrain myself from commenting anything on the speculations about Claire's fate :D

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The more I read this, the more I like it. I like to see more manga were lesbians flip the script, on het stories.

On a unrelated note has anyone ever thought to translate a manga, and add their own humorous commentary Rifftrax/MST3K style. I don't know how the copywrite laws work but I can't imagine it's too much different than fan fiction rules.

Well, I mean, "fanfiction rules" is literally 'It's all illegal but the rights holders turn a blind eye because it mostly helps their business"

A fan translation with the original work contained within would definitely interfere with sales, so they'd probably go after it.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Rei out here making extra money...for Claire?? Is she foreshadowing something?? Either way, Claire was so f##king cute this chapter!

Not having read the original novel, my impression is that Rei is covertly putting down layer upon layer of safety nets for Claire to survive once the commoners inevitably rise up and start guillotining the nobles left and right.

Considering the setting is supposed to parallel a romance game about three princes, I'd be kind of surprised if there's a proletariat uprising.

The game is called "Revolution"

That, plus all the heavy foreshadowing about the commoners enjoying far fewer rights and privileges than hereditary nobility, is what makes me think of a popular uprising. Also, I do not think that it will be a proletarian uprising, since the setting does not really sound like it's undergoing an industrial revolution to form a substantial industrial working class. Instead, considering the time period it seems to emulate (late 18th century), the revolution of the title will likely be led by the bourgeois middle class (which are called "commoners" in the story). Hence why I used the term "guillotine" and not, say, "chekas". :-)

last edited at Sep 28, 2021 7:43AM

joined Jun 6, 2021

Also, I do not think that it will be a proletarian uprising, since the setting does not really sound like it's undergoing an industrial revolution to form a substantial industrial working class. Instead, considering the time period it seems to emulate (late 18th century), the revolution of the title will likely be led by the bourgeois middle class (which are called "commoners" in the story). Hence why I used the term "guillotine" and not, say, "chekas". :-)

Bear in mind that the writers of the games upon which this story is based and the author of the novel have a fuzzy understanding of the whats and whys of Westerner revolutions.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Also, I do not think that it will be a proletarian uprising, since the setting does not really sound like it's undergoing an industrial revolution to form a substantial industrial working class. Instead, considering the time period it seems to emulate (late 18th century), the revolution of the title will likely be led by the bourgeois middle class (which are called "commoners" in the story). Hence why I used the term "guillotine" and not, say, "chekas". :-)

Bear in mind that the writers of the games upon which this story is based and the author of the novel have a fuzzy understanding of the whats and whys of Westerner revolutions.

I am pretty sure that even in the West, most authors and general audiences are pretty fuzzy about whats and whys of our own history. :-)

joined Jun 6, 2021

I am pretty sure that even in the West, most authors and general audiences are pretty fuzzy about whats and whys of our own history. :-)

But the question at hand was of what sort of revolution to expect.

In the novel, the revolution establishes a welfare state; it is evident that the author doesn't understand the course of revolution in the Age of Enlightenment.

last edited at Oct 1, 2021 7:41AM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

The more I read this, the more I like it. I like to see more manga were lesbians flip the script, on het stories.

On a unrelated note has anyone ever thought to translate a manga, and add their own humorous commentary Rifftrax/MST3K style. I don't know how the copywrite laws work but I can't imagine it's too much different than fan fiction rules.

Well, I mean, "fanfiction rules" is literally 'It's all illegal but the rights holders turn a blind eye because it mostly helps their business"

A fan translation with the original work contained within would definitely interfere with sales, so they'd probably go after it.

Really. That's a shame. I think it would be pretty funny too riff manga and anime.

joined Jan 14, 2020

But the question at hand was of what sort of revolution to expect.

In the novel, the revolution establishes a welfare state; it is evident that the author doesn't understand the course of revolution in the Age of Enlightenment.

Valid criticism if the goal were to closely recap Western Revolutions. But it's not like the ideas weren't out there, cf. Thomas Paine, or English Poor Laws.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Valid criticism if the goal were to closely recap Western Revolutions. But it's not like the ideas weren't out there, cf. Thomas Paine, or English Poor Laws.

The poor laws weren't effected by revolution, but by something of an anti/counter-revolution (much like Bismark's creation of the modern welfare state). And Paine was embracing ideas from later in the French Revolution after it had undergone the revolution of aristrocrats against the monarch, after it had undergone the liberal revolution of the middle class against the aristocrats, and was then heading (with Paine oblivious) towards a technocratic dictatorship whose base of support was in the proletariat. The novel is simply oblivious even to the conceivability of liberalism.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Really. That's a shame. I think it would be pretty funny too riff manga and anime.

I don't remember the name of the site of the top of my head, and I'm pretty sure it'd be against the rules to post it, and I think they've restructured anyway so this feature was gone last I checked, but there used to be a manga website where the users could post little messages on the pages, basically wherever you want. You could turn it on or off, so it wasn't an impediment to reading, but it let people slap down immediate reactions and jokes responding to pages in real time while they were reading, with the context of the image right there, and it was pretty damn fun.

The overall effect was very reminiscent of MST3K.

last edited at Oct 3, 2021 6:59PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.