Forum › writing stories

joined Jul 4, 2019

How to start write own stories? What I need to do in first?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

May I suggest checking out this thread?
https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/15420-improving-writing

Someone else asked a similar question a few weeks ago.

last edited at Jul 4, 2019 4:24AM

joined Jul 5, 2019

Just write.

That might seem like half-assed advice, but really that's all you need to do. Find an idea or something you want to play around with and start writing. A lot of writers, especially new writers, get caught up in the planning stages and end up never writing.

I reccomend writing now and making stories later. Take up some fun short writing exercises (100+ words), such as describing the weather in interesting ways, etc. Short writing exercises are a great way to improve your writing and develop your style.

You shouldn't just write what you want published, or write your final project. You should write like an artist sketches.

As for actual story development, that mostly depends on the kind of story you want to write. I suggest looking at genres and themes to start with and use those to craft your setting and characters, and through them you can develop a plot.

But there really isn't a perfect formula for writing stories, it's an art so the journey each writier takes is different.

Over all, I recommend you focus on improving your writing skills through practice daily (or whenever you can) writing sketches. And find a story you want to write and develop characters, setting, and a basic plot for that story.

Don't get too hung up on details in early stages. Just have fun and write, and worry about editing and perfecting your writing after the first draft is finished.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Honestly, I think if you've never written a story before, starting from fanfictions will be helpful. Because you will start developing the basics from there.
Like how to write dialogs without repeating the word say all the time, or how to go from writing a 1k word chapter to 5k. And gain experience on knowing what parts to edit out of a chapter, or how to write scenes that properly convey what you feel to the readers.
That's more of a "technical" stuff, but with experience it's what make a story.
A good idea without proper execution doesn't turn out good. Even a very original idea (which is pretty hard to come up with) requires a good execution.

Also with fanfictions there is no pressure, and you already have the characters and the setting.

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 3:23PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

MacySan posted:

Like how to write dialogs without repeating the word say all the time

I heard conflicting opinions on that, but apparently you never want to replace word say and use it all the time.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

MacySan posted:

Like how to write dialogs without repeating the word say all the time

I heard conflicting opinions on that, but apparently you never want to replace word say and use it all the time.

You don't. A variance both in word use and word count within a sentence is what helps to keep something interesting to us. It reads as unprofessional, or insincere, or just flat and shallow if you repeat things frequently. That very thing is what frustrated me so much with the Wheel of Time series; I found myself mentally sighing and saying "Uuuugh, STOP with the sniffing and skirt-straightening, WE GET IT for Pete's sake.".

Source of my opinion: I write fantasy fiction and also sometimes help out with QC/editing translated works.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

This is not what I was talking about exactly. You don't have to replace the word "say" with another synonym.
You can use other methods to avoid the word say altogether.

Like for example, when it's only two people talking you can just use the
"Nice weather today, right?" (name 1) said
"I don't like sunny weather much" (name 2) said.

In here, you can completely remove the "(name) said.".
That's a simplistic example, but you get what I'm trying to say.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Ah, I apologize, I misunderstood. Even so, what I prattled on about sort of includes that as well--variety in expressing the same thing holds the reader's interest better. :)

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

About writing a story (or otherwise materializing it), I'd suggest planning the general plot as a vague plot-line to follow, and then making the story, adding ideas as you go on. I've never written stories, but I'm making a mapping series based on that principle. Just be kinda vague in the initial planning, so you would have enough leeway to add whatever ideas come accross your mind. It works for written stories and videos alike.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

shadesofgreymoon posted:

Source of my opinion: I write fantasy fiction and also sometimes help out with QC/editing translated works.

My source. I watched videos by published authors giving their advices and telling you what exposes you as a amateur/fanfiction writer. Apparently "said" is a great invisible word that you're not going to notice, which make it desirable, while replacing it with other words most of the times just make it sounds wonky or something like that.

I understand what you're saying and you should avoid repetition etc. but apparently it doesn't apply in this case and you should only change it sparingly. And yes, just omitting word altogether is a valid solution. I don't entirely agree with it, but apparently that's what people in craft are saying. Or what I heard at least.

joined Dec 9, 2014

There are different writing styles and it's not just one correct.
By writing, you will figure out what you like the best. Personally I get really tired reading lengthy descriptions and too many fancy words. They are necessary in important scenes, but I find them boring when they are not relevant to the plot.
For example, I like Stephen King's movies, but the books go and on with the descriptions that it's hard to follow. The movies are like a summary of the books. But some others like that. But that's more of a technical thing.

Writing characters and plots is more "universal" and I think you can even know how to get better at writing these, just by reading mangas or watching anime/tv shows. You can see what characters draw you in, and think of the reasons why. Then apply it to your characters.

last edited at Aug 21, 2019 6:23PM

joined Oct 29, 2019

Writing own stories requires special skills and desire to write. Just show what you want and that's all. If you need some help or tips how to start writing I recommend you yo analyze some kind of people's writings. How they do it, wich methods they use.

last edited at Oct 31, 2019 12:19PM

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

It’s been helpful for me to think of all the themes I want to include in a story. I get a kind of general idea of what I want to happen, and then I write the pieces that come most naturally to me. Once my brain switches into “writing mode” I tend to only want to write, and I neglect everything else.

Oh, I also love planning a plot using a spreadsheet so that I can interweave a lot of separate story threads. That was a big breakthrough for me when I started using that!

To reply you must either login or sign up.