Forum › Even Though We're Adults discussion

Yuki Kitsune
Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Heart, meet Wrecking Ball.

I've never been murdered, but I have been cheated on.

(This was not how I wanted to start my day.)

last edited at Jun 5, 2019 9:46AM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

So, all these "I don't like cheating" posts--is that saying, "I don't wish to read stories that contain cheating by fictional characters," or "I find cheating morally objectionable"?

Both, presumably, or they wouldn't feel the need to say it here.

Because although I've read plenty of mysteries, I'd never say, "I like murder."

That's a good one. I'm going to steal it.

ShigatsuKanojo
';lk
joined Apr 10, 2019

...... well DAMN!

joined Jun 29, 2015

i fucking knew she is married before last 3 pages. We CANNOT have nice thing around here!! TT_TT

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

I haven't read a series by this mangaka before, but this starting chapter seems interesting enough. Let's hope the presentation is able to elevate this above what'll likely be a pretty by-the-books "married bi girl cheats on husband with lesbian" storyline.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

This gives me "After Hours" vibes with the sudden hook up, super comfy chemistry, and cheating. I love "After Hours" so I have a feeling I'll like this too. Just gotta see how it all plays out.

Wait, there's cheating in After Hours?

Wish I had known that before I bought the first three volumes...

Oops i think i misremembered another series. I double checked and didn't see cheating. I'll edit my original comment lol.

AH does technically have cheating, but the literal point is 'things are going bad enough with Emi's boyfriend that she's only staying together with him because she'd be homeless otherwise (and then Kei gives her a way out)' so

Oh god thanks so i didnt misremember. I thought i was going crazy hahaha

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

So knowing this author, it'll start off strong, incorporate some really good ideas and solid characterization, then around the middle it'll kind of lose its energy and wrap up in a tepid sort of more-or-less ending.

Welp, here's my ticket for the ride.

joined Dec 18, 2018

So, all these "I don't like cheating" posts--is that saying, "I don't wish to read stories that contain cheating by fictional characters," or "I find cheating morally objectionable"?

Because although I've read plenty of mysteries, I'd never say, "I like murder."

On a personal level second part definitely yes, cheating imo is one of the most disgusting acts one can do to another person, within the law.

First one though, depends on context. For example this story hardly swayed me yet since we don't have enough emotional context on the marriage, so it's hard to make a judgement.

On the other hand at the opposite end of the spectrum is The Feelings We Must All Endure, which still comes back to me regularly to punch me in the gut.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

will admit that I was expecting something different that would cause the angst/drama in a story about adult women, but oh well, I'll give it a couple of chapters to see if I wanna stay or not.

By the way I haven't read Sweet Blue Flowers, could I ask someone to tell me what went down in that story that seems to have mix opinions?

last edited at Jun 5, 2019 11:30AM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

How to trigger dynasty readers in one step,
1) add a male

Lmao. You sure got that right! If this first chapter had ended on a happy happy note, with the two MC women planning to move together or something, you'd have gotten about 40+ comments after a day or so.

Oh, but add a male, a husband, cheating and NTR -- and lo, five pages of indignant comments. And they keep coming, fast and furious. Our triggers are plain indeed.

I haven't read a series by this mangaka before, but this starting chapter seems interesting enough. Let's hope the presentation is able to elevate this above what'll likely be a pretty by-the-books "married bi girl cheats on husband with lesbian" storyline.

Hehe, right now, you sound like Maxwell Smart.

"Of course! The old married bi girl cheats on husband with lesbian trick. I should have guessed!"

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Hehe, right now, you sound like Maxwell Smart.

"Of course! The old married bi girl cheats on husband with lesbian trick. I should have guessed!"

The old Roche Limit Gambit !

joined May 1, 2013

I don't think she's bi. I think she's gay and closeted.

Have to praise the author for pacing this chapter so well. The teacher comes off as sweet and friendly and innocent, but not annoyingly so. But we don't really get into her head. And that's exactly what the waitress likes about her, which makes us really see the final twist from her perspective. (Translators have to be credited here, too.)

Confused and a little intrigued about the title.

joined Oct 27, 2018

will admit that I was expecting something different that would cause the angst/drama in a story about adult women, but oh well, I'll give it a couple of chapters to see if I wanna stay or not.

By the way I haven't read Sweet Blue Flowers, could I ask someone to tell me what went down in that story that seems to have mix opinions?

One problem I have with her work is way too much focuson side characters, sometimes to the point where the main characters do nothing for entire volumes. In Sweet Blue Flowers for example it spends WAY to much time on a side couple, the ending is even focused on their wedding rather than the main characters. I'm sure you are aware of all the "surprise het ending" jokes on this site, well, with her track record, that is an actual possibility.

joined Jul 23, 2017

Ik she was a het. I got that weird feeling alright

Richardevans
joined Jun 1, 2016

We just met and this is crazy.

Large
joined May 27, 2017

God it started off perfect but I saw the angst tag so I was a little unsure throughout it and damn wow ok I see how it is no no no

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

On the other hand at the opposite end of the spectrum is The Feelings We Must All Endure, which still comes back to me regularly to punch me in the gut.

That was the mostly unpleasant thing I've ever read, in terms of how I actually felt afterwards.

The highlights are that the pair on the cover take forever to get together, and then break up, and then get together again. But I don't think what actually happens in the story has anything to do with why opinions are mixed. It's a very, very slow story, with lots of deviations to focus on side characters, chapters where basically nothing happens, apparent reversals of previous plot events, and an incredibly sudden ending. Somehow, it feels both too long and too short. Personally, it's one of my favorite manga, but I understand why people don't like it.

last edited at Jun 5, 2019 12:53PM

joined May 1, 2013

I think the problem with Sweet Blue Flowers was that it had the very Japanese and very yuri "everything must be delicate and unstated and mysterious or it ruins the true innocent beauty of their pure love!" but then it also wanted to be frank and honest, so it talked about sex and had out gay characters. It's really jarring and frustrating to reach the end and not even be able to tell for sure if Ah-chan is into girls, but two pages earlier the kids were joking with their lesbian schoolteacher's girlfriend about their wedding.

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

Either put the bisexual tag or het tag, it's genuinely misleading as it is.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

One problem I have with her work is way too much focuson side characters, sometimes to the point where the main characters do nothing for entire volumes. In Sweet Blue Flowers for example it spends WAY to much time on a side couple, the ending is even focused on their wedding rather than the main characters. I'm sure you are aware of all the "surprise het ending" jokes on this site, well, with her track record, that is an actual possibility.

huh, I like when side characters get focus but yeah that like way too much focus away from your mains, and yeah I've some jokes here and there but not the full context, so the mains of blue flowers or some other work of her end up with a dude at the very end as "twist"?

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

so the mains of blue flowers or some other work of her end up with a dude at the very end as "twist"?

A side character who was interested in a girl later gets back together with her fiance and marries him. It's neither sudden, nor a twist. Honestly, that development has more build-up than the main characters getting back together. But from Aoi Hana and some of his other works, I don't think the author suddenly switches things around for the hell of it. The character arcs generally feel driven by actual character development, though often in a kind of twisted way. So that's why this promises to be interesting.

last edited at Jun 5, 2019 1:26PM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

That was the mostly unpleasant thing I've ever read, in terms of how I actually felt afterwards.

The highlights are that the pair on the cover take forever to get together, and then break up, and then get together again. But I don't think what actually happens in the story has anything to do with why opinions are mixed. It's a very, very slow story, with lots of deviations to focus on side characters, chapters where basically nothing happens, apparent reversals of previous plot events, and an incredibly sudden ending. Somehow, it feels both too long and too short. Personally, it's one of my favorite manga, but I understand why people don't like it.

I see! thanks for that summary~ personally I can enjoy slooow stories, so long as I care about the characters then I am fine, but it does sound somewhat tiresome to get through

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Shimura Takako delivers, as usual.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

so the mains of blue flowers or some other work of his end up with a dude at the very end as "twist"?

A side character who was interested in a girl later gets back together with her fiance and marries him. It's neither sudden, nor a twist. Honestly, that development has more build-up than the main characters getting back together. But from Aoi Hana and some of his other works, I don't think the author suddenly switches things around for the hell of it. The character arcs generally feel driven by actual character development, though often in a kind of twisted way. So that's why this promises to be interesting.

well even if they aren't developments I would like I am glad it seems they are proper developments and not just trying to screw with the readers/characters.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

There is no cheating tag there, but that would be a spoiler, so there is that.

And I think that Ookubo being married and all at her age is perfectly normal. Especially in Japan.

Either she realized later she was into girls, or she denied it to herself, or she caved in to pressure.

Or she's bi.

Anyway, I love the storytelling of Shimura Takako. She's stronger with the shorts though, like Musume no Iede.

To reply you must either login or sign up.