Forum › People Shouldn’t Complain about Men in Yuri

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

Every time there’s a male character who shows up, some people immediately dismiss that chapter/arc to “suck” or is not good. People freak out and foam all over just because a dude shows up and it’s kind of ridiculous imo xD

It makes me wonder as to whether people really care about the story and why men are needed, or if they just wanna watch two girls make out and don’t really pay attention to the plot at all.

Some of my best friends happen to be straight dudes and I get a teeny bit upset when people say negative things about them, because they don’t apply to all straight men.

last edited at Apr 26, 2019 1:24PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

People are that paranoid about baits, simply presence of a guy can ruin everything. Also something, something, purity.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Ah, yes, the famous paranoia of potential queer-baiting (emphasis on "potential") and the equally famous yuri purism. They are some of things the things (emphasis on "some of") that ruin forums the site over. My favourite yuri work, YagaKimi, has several relevant male characters, and you don't see people in that thread finding them "a threat". Paradoxically (well, not really in the eyes of any YagaKimi fans, but it would seem paradoxical to the yuri purists and paranoid yuri fans), Maki actually helped lay the groundwork for the 2 main girls get back together! And that's not even mentioning some yuri manga that have a male protagonist, as a kind of "outside of the relationship" POV, like the brand new 《I'll cheer on my yuri onee-chan》, or the older, but (for some fucking reason) on hiatus series 《Yuri Danshi》. And that's not just for manga, but it extends to manhwa and manhua, too (the Korean and Chinese counterparts to the Japanese manga, respectively). I'm, TBH, yet to read a manhwa, but I did read one yuri manhua: 《Their story》. And, guess what? Male characters that aren't threats, and some that are actually supporting. Saying that all yuri that include male characters are bad because most yuri manga in the distant past used to be what we today may consider queer-bait is like saying that all mappers are shitty because MervueMeringue, the first ever mapper, makes shitty mapping videos. The maths doesn't add up.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Fair. Re-reading my comment again, I realize I did get out of my way with that. Should've toned it down a notch.
Also, I didn't realize just how recent that comment actually was. I thought it was like, what, at least 2 weeks ago?

To reply you must either login or sign up.