Forum › Hino-san no Baka discussion

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016
joined Oct 26, 2016

If the the creator is leaving it up to the reader, to decide if something is subtext or not, doesn't it make it subtext by definition?

Yes, but idk...the story is showing how the characters feel jealousy or how they feel lonely when they don't talk to each other. It's way too Gay to be considered Subtext, besides, the manga is published in a Yuri magazine so...

Subtext is defined by implicit signs that there might be romance but nothing is explicit and officially canonized. If the creator leaves it up for interpretation that's 100% subtext since nothing will ever get canonized even if it's absolutely filled with tons of 'obvious' sexual/romantic tension.

That's why I'm not fond of subtext. It's ok to have lite-romance with explicit canon pairs, that's not subtext. Subtext is unbearable because you're stuck in 'hooking up' limbo with infinite teasing and no solid foundation forever.

last edited at May 17, 2019 1:39AM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I just opened this page after 12 hours, and there's no new chapter. Yuri Ichigo must be lazy... or collapsed from exhaustion and are now in coma on a hospital bed, which is the same thing.

well it's been 4 hours since this post.

I think we can agree that Yuri Ichigo are dead. RIP

mei is waifu
Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Well aren't you overgeneralizing a lot there. Unfortunate as that is for you, it's not the standard at all. Asia is a pretty big place.

Let's forget other countries, Japanese girls hold each others hands and kiss each other on the cheeks frequently. And that's just "friendship". I know we Yuri fans make that "omg handholding" jokes a lot, but it's the least homosexual thing two girls can do. Unless this whole joke is supposed to be sarcastic. Then I'm sorry for bringing this up, I just found it a little weird. Even if it's a manga that's supposed to exaggerate things.

For those who don't know, Hibike Euphonium is the WORST show in this universe. It's a disgusting, queerbaiting piece of dog shit. They show us "moments" and give us Yuri fans some hope. BUT NOTHING HAPPENS. Both girls are straight as hell, Kumiko even gets a bf in the novels. And that slutty whore Reina is thirsting after a teacher. NEVER EVER watch that show if you're expecting some lesbian goodies. I hope the writer/director of the show slowly dies from skin cancer.

last edited at May 17, 2019 1:42AM

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

^ You might need to chill a bit, mate.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I was just about that mad regarding Love Lab, so it's sort of relieving to see others get mad about yuri bait.

But I'd prefer to focus on this nice series.

mei is waifu
Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

^ You might need to chill a bit, mate.

No. I wasted my time on this crap. My anger is valid. I'm pretty sure most people here would agree with me.

I was just about that mad regarding Love Lab, so it's sort of relieving to see others get mad about yuri bait.

I heard it's worse than Euphonium? Never watched it, and after reading your post, never will.

But you're right. Let's forget them motherfucking queerbaiters and focus on the actual lesbians.

last edited at May 17, 2019 2:06AM

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

If you only watch season 1 you can pretend like it's yuri and then the only thing you have to do is never watch anything kyoani again
also I agree, your anger is valid and if we just chill on shit like this people will keep doing it

last edited at May 17, 2019 2:55AM

joined Apr 1, 2017

To be fair, Hibike really was pushing it. They stripped out all of the Kumiko/Shuichi moments and replaced them with her being gay as fuck for Reina in S1. They intentionally fucked everything up, then decided to do a faithful adaptation of later novels which have Kumiko romantically tangled with Shoe. Except they fucking forgot to actually build up their relationship and instead spent 2 seasons making her react with nothing but contempt for him, but then accept his confession out of nowhere. I have no idea what KyoAni was trying to do with Kumiko. I'm just gonna pretend the 3rd movie didn't happen and Kumiko is some kind of closeted lesbo with a one-sided crush on Reina. Seriously, even when she's dating him, she thinks about her all the time anyway

joined Dec 28, 2016

We're rapidly catching up to the Japanese release, only 5 more chapters after chapter 29 (up to chapter 34) at time of this writing, which at the rate we're going we'll reach this weekend.

Also Euphonium has been talked about enough already, can we not do this again?

last edited at May 17, 2019 3:08AM

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/CJfMI2q.jpg

joined Feb 17, 2018

Well aren't you overgeneralizing a lot there. Unfortunate as that is for you, it's not the standard at all. Asia is a pretty big place.

Let's forget other countries, Japanese girls hold each others hands and kiss each other on the cheeks frequently. And that's just "friendship". I know we Yuri fans make that "omg handholding" jokes a lot, but it's the least homosexual thing two girls can do. Unless this whole joke is supposed to be sarcastic. Then I'm sorry for bringing this up, I just found it a little weird. Even if it's a manga that's supposed to exaggerate things.

I've been wondering about that, in the Middle East women holding hands is completely normal and no one would think you're gay. I always thought it was weird in America it's stigmatized

Flowers-le-volume-sur-ete-screenshot
joined Nov 22, 2018

Well, if theyre just holding hands normally then no one would definitely bat an eye but if theyre holding hands then getting obviously bashful because of it then people will be suspicious.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

how much gayer can this get.

In my personal view, this has gone from 'gag manga' to 'Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru' levels in the last few chapters. It might just hit peak 'Hana Ni Arashi' before very long.

I would say that this is beyond Nettaigyo. In this manga we know that the characters are 100% gay but one of them haven't realized yet. (Koguma)
Meanwhile in Nettaigyo both of them act gay but the author didn't label it as Yuri so it might end up being another Hibike Euphonium!

Wait, Hibike Euphonium isn't yuri!? I've only seen a few clips on youtube, but it seemed pretty lesbian romance-ish. The title sequence had the two girls connected by the red thread of fate, for goodness sake.

A lot of people already replied and i don't want to turn this thread into a Hibike Euphonium rant but you asked me something and i'll just answer it.

No, Hibike Euphonium ended up being Yuribait and they were "Just Friends" Everyone thought that it would end up being Yuri because of the way the author handled the story and the characters but in the end it wasn't.

That's why i said thay Nettaigyo might end up being another Hibike Euphonium (i hope not) because the mangaka said on her twitter that she didn't want to label Nettaigyo as a Yuri manga and that it was up to you whether you consider it Subtext or Yuri.
I'm scared...

If the the creator is leaving it up to the reader, to decide if something is subtext or not, doesn't it make it subtext by definition?

Yes, but idk...the story is showing how the characters feel jealousy or how they feel lonely when they don't talk to each other. It's way too Gay to be considered Subtext, besides, the manga is published in a Yuri magazine so...

If I've learned one thing, from these message boards, it's one person's solid yuri hockup, is another person's just friends.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I've been wondering about that, in the Middle East women holding hands is completely normal and no one would think you're gay. I always thought it was weird in America it's stigmatized

I don't think it is necessarily stigmatized in America. I think it depends on the crowd, your in.

Imgonline-com-ua-resize-vwt1kupzlnws
joined Jul 8, 2018

Holy shit, I been gone for like 4 days and there's like 10 new chapters, thank you scanlators!

last edited at May 17, 2019 5:17AM

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I don't think it is necessarily stigmatized in America. I think it depends on the crowd, your in.

This ^ tbh, though it is also kind of country related. As someone living in Belgium, handholding once reaching adolescence is extremely uncommon. The few times I did see 2 girls/women walking hand in hand, they were kissing each other as well (in a pretty gay gf kind of way). Locking arms however, I would say is common (especially between girls in younger years of adolescence, or between family members) and not at all seen as gay. I feel like holding hands is more gay than locking arms.

last edited at May 17, 2019 6:12AM

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Missed my timing to say this, but Nagisa is an extremely cute name, wow.
Plus that public hand holding... I knew they've been making progress, but that's just skipping steps into something real dangerous and lewd.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hibike Euphonium and queerbaiting are both pretty obviously off topic for this discussion. Take it elsewhere, please.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

My intervention was truly in vain.

Kissing each other on the cheeks as a greeting is actually quite common in a lot of countries. Not in Japan though.
I don't think I know every intricacy of Japanese culture, but two high-school girls walking hand in hand in the hallway is weird. Holding hands in a crowd not to lose each other is something else of course. It's pretty easy to tell playful handholding between friends and clearly flustered entangling.

The "romantic friendship" nonsense has mostly died out in Japan, so I doubt that it's common anymore.

As for this specific example, what Hino was worried about was that people would look down on Koguma for being friendly with a delinquent. That's why the "Are they going out?" question caught her so off-guard. She didn't expect it either.

mei is waifu
Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

two high-school girls walking hand in hand in the hallway is weird.

...You're from a Western country, aren't you?

As for this specific example, what Hino was worried about was that people would look down on Koguma for being friendly with a delinquent. That's why the "Are they going out?" question caught her so off-guard. She didn't expect it either.

People blushing and saying "Are they going out?" is definitely an over-exaggerated thing. It happened because this is fiction. I am 100% sure it won't happen irl. As said by someone above, hand-holding is something that is stigmatized in the West. Asians, be it any country, don't care.

last edited at May 17, 2019 9:18AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

People blushing and saying "Are they going out?" is definitely an over-exaggerated thing. It happened because this is fiction. I am 100% sure it won't happen irl. As said by someone above, hand-holding is something that is stigmatized in the West. Asians, be it any country, don't care.

Well they were blushing and acting lovey-dovey, so I don't think it's that far-fetched to react that way, especially in high-school where literally everything is drama.

There is a difference between stigmatization and unusual behaviour. Yes, they can hold hands, but the way it is done just is very different depending on the mood. This isn't 20 years ago, people are aware that lesbians exist and are probably even curious about it. How serious they take that gossip is another matter...

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Well they were blushing and acting lovey-dovey, so I don't think it's that far-fetched to react that way, especially in high-school where literally everything is drama.

Well if you put it like that...

There is a difference between stigmatization and unusual behavior. Yes, they can hold hands, but the way it is done just is very different depending on the mood. This isn't 20 years ago, people are aware that lesbians exist and are probably even curious about it. How serious they take that gossip is another matter...

I grew up in a rural area, where most people have no idea how homosexuality works. Maybe that's why this whole situation seems weird for me.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

this thread is making poor nezchan work way too hard.

i am betting that since these last 2 chapters were kind of a climax of what is published that yuri Ichigo will slow down for the last 4 or 5 chapters that are out.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

far219 posted:

Holy shit, I been gone for like 4 days and there's like 10 new chapters, thank you scanlators!

I was sick for several days and came back to the same, lol. Took way the hell too long to catch up on everything I'd fallen behind on...

To reply you must either login or sign up.