Forum › Alternative to Lezhin for English-Translated Webtoons?

joined Jul 20, 2016

I've been on the Lezhin boycott for well over a month now, and while I'm glad to be sticking it to a company that treats its authors and artists like so much trash, I've also been hungering for webtoons, and I'm honestly not quite sure where I should look for "legitimate" access to them.

When I first found Lezhin, it felt like a god-send, because here was a website where I could directly support the authors and artists working through a company that contracts with them. Of course, that turned out to be untrue in a vast and wide variety of ways, but I'm still looking for the same thing. I know that It Would Be Great... is published on Foxtoons, which I assume has an otherwise quality library in addition to that, but Foxtoons also doesn't appear to be in English, yet - hopefully some time soon, though!

All that aside: Are there any English versions of webtoon sites like Lezhin where Chinese, Korean, and other non-Japanese Asian artists publish their content, preferably in association with the website itself? Obviously one where they treat their artists and authors like actual human beings would be preferred.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Well, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, as I'm mostly unaware of what's on Lezhin. (I know that Pulse and Lily Love have been published there, but that's about it.) However, if you're just looking for a buffet-style webtoon site, there's LINE's webtoon site.
Most of the content is from Korean authors, translated into english (sometimes other languages too). They've been adding a lot of content from other regions, and have some sort of publishing thing for... I guess the best word I can think of is "amateurs". In terms of yuri, the vast majority of romance is het, though it seems like they've begun working with authors of LGBTQ+ comics more often recently. Most of that is from western authors as far as I've seen (which, frankly, isn't terribly shocking, but if the country of origin bothers you somehow, there's that to consider).

If you're looking specifically for LGBTQ+ works, I highly recommend Always Human, it's very inclusive and exceedingly (maybe even excessively! :P) positive, a nice soothing read to be sure. It finished a little over half a year ago, and I miss it dearly. orz

edit: by the way, what's happening with Lezhin? It sounds alarming, especially considering that at least one of my favorite authors has their work published there.
edit 2: ah, nevermind, looked into it myself... WOW that's shitty. Just... SUPER shitty. What the fuck?

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 1:50AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.