Forum › There's nobody who wants to cry discussion

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Ooooh Nice

joined Apr 12, 2014

Interesting

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Just another regular fluff.Nothing more,nothing less.

How is its fluff

For a guro fan :)

Nws
joined Jul 1, 2014

Loved it except for the bone breaking part. That just gave me shivers. Not the good kind.

joined Sep 28, 2015

Having pretty much broken my finger before, that first few pages were fucking horrifying lol. Which I suppose is the point, gets you unnerved right off the bat and tells you that this is not a 'normal' relationship.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Vankomycin
God dammit, I laughed...

Mahiru
joined Aug 28, 2016

I admit this made me cringe way too hard, but it was certainly a good read. That Iori really is a bit cruel... Physically an M but emotionally an S.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

Angelic Girl, chapter 2. But re-read the whole thing anyway because it's great.

Ah yeah, that's the one. I'll have to reread that one some time soon. It's been long enough that I totally forgot what it was even about, lol.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

......there goes Japanese with their weird ass fetish again....

SIGHS i wonder if these guys ever heard of term NORMAL.....

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

@Vankomycin
God dammit, I laughed...

Is...is that bad?

Dynasty
joined Apr 18, 2013

I think Yori is a masochistic dominant - there is a large difference between dominace and masochism. You can enjoy pain and still want to control the other person completely - it's not so unusual - it also makes sense that she prefers that the other girl is not very strong, so she doesn't have to be afraid of losing control. I enjoyed the story, though breaking bones seems a little bit too much at lest to me - fortunately it's just a fiction - so in the end it was kinda refreshing. :)

last edited at Jan 29, 2017 7:46AM

Blushav2
joined Aug 11, 2015

...do you think Japan invented sado-masochism...?

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

...do you think Japan invented sado-masochism...?

Nope. Humans did. But still uncomfortable af.

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

Tbh, i think it's a good ending. Some people want unhealthy relationship or it works just fine for them with everything. I for one, am in unhealthy relationship and i love it and hate it at the same time :3

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Ugh, I want to explain how this story works wonderfully from a literary point of view rather than a psychological one, but I can't seem to get the words to make sense. iFail.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

Nezchan posted:

Ugh, I want to explain how this story works wonderfully from a literary point of view rather than a psychological one, but I can't seem to get the words to make sense. iFail.

I'd be interested though. Because (I think) I can pretty much understand everything about the psychology. But while I can feel how it's good from the a literary standpoint I can't really work it out

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

I'd be interested though. Because (I think) I can pretty much understand everything about the psychology. But while I can feel how it's good from the a literary standpoint I can't really work it out

The problem with using psychology is you're basically second-guessing the author's understanding of psychology, rather than the mental state of actual people. So they likely don't map anywhere close to 1:1.

From the point of view of short story writing, each of the scenes has a purpose, moving the story of Kanan causing injury as a manner of working through satisfying her own needs without understanding that they are needs to start with. The initial scene with the finger breaking needs to be shocking, not just to shake the reader's expectations from the start, but to illustrate that this is an ongoing practice between the two and their relative power in the scene, which shifts at the end to reveal Iori asking for injury in part because it satisfies Kanan's needs. Everything revolves around a central theme of needs that aren't entirely obvious, and the love that lies at the core of those needs, shocking as they are.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

The problem with using psychology is you're basically second-guessing the author's understanding of psychology, rather than the mental state of actual people. So they likely don't map anywhere close to 1:1.

You're absolutely right about that. I think I meant more something like "I'm satisfied with my interpretation of it, in the framework of the story and beyond"

Now I understand better why needs being a central them was pretty obvious to me. If I get what you're saying, from the get go the storytelling serves a dual purpose: leading the reader by the nose through shock, emotion etc and subtle character bulding. By the end both the reader and the characters can look back on previous events and make better sense of it all (or something along those lines?)

Damn you're right, it's hard to find the right words (and I'm obviously oversimplifying)

last edited at Jan 29, 2017 10:37PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

You're absolutely right about that. I think I meant more something like "I'm satisfied with my interpretation of it, in the framework of the story and beyond"

Now I understand better why needs being a central them was pretty obvious to me. If I get what you're saying, from the get go the storytelling serves a dual purpose: leading the reader by the nose through shock, emotion etc and subtle character bulding. By the end both the reader and the characters can look back on previous events and make better sense of it all (or something along those lines?)

Damn you're right, it's hard to find the right words

This is why despite writing stories, essays can be a pain.

But you see what I mean, the structure here is more like a prose short story than most one-shot manga tend to be.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

This is why despite writing stories, essays can be a pain.

But thinking on it makes it that much better :) And the fact we're left thinking about it is enjoyable in the first place.

But you see what I mean, the structure here is more like a prose short story than most one-shot manga tend to be.

Yup, thx Nez

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I think I've awakened something in me. I can't seem to find it weird at all, I'm more turned on than creeped out. tmi

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Tbh, i think it's a good ending. Some people want unhealthy relationship or it works just fine for them with everything. I for one, am in unhealthy relationship and i love it and hate it at the same time :3

Unhealthy relationships are like unhealthy habits: lots of people smoke, for instance, even though it's bad for their bodies, and that's considered normal for some reason...

From the point of view of short story writing, each of the scenes has a purpose, moving the story of Kanan causing injury as a manner of working through satisfying her own needs without understanding that they are needs to start with. The initial scene with the finger breaking needs to be shocking, not just to shake the reader's expectations from the start, but to illustrate that this is an ongoing practice between the two and their relative power in the scene, which shifts at the end to reveal Iori asking for injury in part because it satisfies Kanan's needs. Everything revolves around a central theme of needs that aren't entirely obvious, and the love that lies at the core of those needs, shocking as they are.

Thank you for this analysis, I appreciate it. :-)

joined Jan 4, 2014

Nezchan posted:

Methinks you're not alone in that interpretation, but some draw a different conclusion it seems... Let me quote Isaac Asimov from his book "Opus 100" here:

I once listened to a German philosopher (he was really German and he was a professor of philosophy) discuss one of my stories in detail, when he didn’t know I was in the audience. After his lecture, I came up to dispute the points he had made in his interpretation and presented him with what I felt was a blockbuster when I said, “After all, I happen to be the author of the story.”

“Oh,” said he, “are you Isaac Asimov? I’m pleased to meet you and I admire your work but tell me – What makes you think, just because you wrote the story that you know anything at all about it?”

I’ve tried never to forget that little lesson.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

Ahah that's a nice piece of trivia. I guess it all depends if you're looking for the interpretation the author had in mind or if you want to expand on it; use a story as a basis for reflexion

To reply you must either login or sign up.