Forum › Posts by NorthernDruid

NorthernDruid
Futari Nara discussion 16 Jun 22:50
Northern-druid-color-smaller
joined Feb 6, 2013

The knife thing actually does sound familiar. I think in a certain culture there was a thing where the husband gave the wife a knife and if he ever betrayed her she was allowed to kill him with it

Only one that comes to mind is the Altarans from the Wheel of Time. They had that entire thing of the wife recieving a kinfe to apply to their husband if he ever diespleased them (or otherwise). No idea whether that has any roots in a real historical culture though.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

What a rushed ending.

Good and well made, but distinctly lacking in conclusions. It really needed an epilogue longer than two vague pages showing that they were all still friends at some later date after growing up.

NorthernDruid
Drift discussion 13 Jun 21:46
joined Feb 6, 2013

That ending just made me think "I'm not left handed either".

This was pretty chuckle-worthy. And kinda cute.

NorthernDruid
Walk Wit Me discussion 15 Jul 08:15
joined Feb 6, 2013

This is why I love two-shots. Increased depth in comparison to a oneshot, but not as drawn out as a series would be.

Quite a chilling work, even with those bits of sweetness in it.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Ah, favourite author is favourite.

I love how it has a few pages of epilogue that's full part of the main story. Really makes it more complete when we get to see a few snippets of their lives as a couple instead of just ending with an "and then they totally got together afterwards!"

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Smooth Ruby!

NorthernDruid
My Odile discussion 23 Dec 18:48
joined Feb 6, 2013

That was...

The feels T_T

I wanna see more from this author.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

I want shoes like that! :O

joined Feb 6, 2013

Ok, now to go read Butterfly 69 to get a similar story with a good ending.

joined Feb 6, 2013

Well this looks promising, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Hope it turns out to be a really good one, at least the first chapter was.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Ah, what a scumbag teacher.

Favoritism is one thing, but actively deriding someone for making friends...

At least it didn't work in the end.

And page 31 is just the best.

NorthernDruid
Cocytus discussion 18 Aug 09:29
joined Feb 6, 2013

I'm going to imagine they go to school the next day and she tells them not to bully her girlfriend.

Seconded.

Granted, maybe not the very next day, and it won't be a strong rebuttal, but this is what ought to happen next.

Other than that...

I feel like the ending was good enough. Could've been better obviously, but I figure there's a good chance that a continuation longer than 5 pages would've made for a worse overall story. Knowing when to stop writing because you don't have anything left to tell with it is a good skill to have really, and sometimes it might be better to stop early rather than late.

I like the ending well enough, but I think it could be well-served with an omake-epilogue.

Maybe?

shrug

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

So sweet!

Usually these kinds of really short short works get a bit too short for my taste, like It's over to fast to enjoy, or it rushes things and leaves the ending hanging.

But this, this was just perfect.

NorthernDruid
Cocytus discussion 06 Jun 20:35
joined Feb 6, 2013

Now this looks interesting.

I do love characters who reject social bullshit out of sheer ignorance.

I somehow feel like I can relate, and it lets me live out the wish that I could be as ignorant.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

So... Pure Marionation...

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/pure_marionation

But with growing up angst and without all the fluff and comedy?

And a slightly less airheaded protag!

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Wow, this is like the fluffy yuri version of Koe no Katachi...

So heartwarming! <3

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

I don't even want to go outside if it's over 20°C.

Finally someone who gets it!

I know right? While everyone else is out enjoying the summer sun like crazy people, I'm off in the corner, melting.

20 degrees is fine, when it gets over 23 though.

Imagine my pain. It's 43°C where I live right now.

That's inhuman.

People can't actually function in conditions like that right?.... right?

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

so sweet! Doesn't even need any romantic hints or anything ;D

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Wow, this was good.

I want to see more from this author.

Wanna sign up for Tumblr now just to give them kudos.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Wait, Vivid is being made into an anime!?

best b-day present yet, hearing that.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Teenager rushes into a relationship that is "abnormal" to begin with (older/same sex), has second thoughts.

I fail to see how being with an older partner is abnormal.......

I agree. even as a teenager I was always attracted to older women, so I too don't follow this logic.

From the straightest definition of "abnormal" it's far from the norm to be in a relationship with someone who's a third of your age older than you.

Add to that that the age difference is also the difference of the teenage years where you mature the most(YMMV). And a long-lasting relationship would be pretty abnormal.

That said I admire the protagonist for ending it before anything really painful had time to happen.

NorthernDruid
joined Feb 6, 2013

Well now we all want the answer to that question on the last page don't we?

NorthernDruid
HELLLOOOO WORLD 07 Aug 10:25
joined Feb 6, 2013

:O there was more of this!?

joined Feb 6, 2013

:O after such a long time something from comic lily is picked up!

Maybe there's still hope for the rest of it!

NorthernDruid
Kase-san discussion 29 Jul 08:12
joined Feb 6, 2013

@the ongoing gender/readership discussion:

I think it's right that the general male population don't expect to like romance-focused works, especially ones which don't have a stereotypical masuline male lead [main character] with masculine personality traits, traditionally male interests and so on.

Which is why I'll be surprised if I ever see a (romance focused) work with a weak, introverted, insecure, or otherwise non-masculine male lead.

I blame society for making femine traits taboo for males and for making too many great things feminine traits (like skirts -.-)

So there's definatively a bias from society that dictates what you feel you "should" be into and not, which influences what you're willing to try and how you're willing to try it.

That said, personally part of what attracts me is the main characters' perspective as a female. Because i've always been curious as to how being a girl would be like (lately i've been wondering if I might be somewhat genderfluid even). And also because because the main character will always be somewhat removed from the stereotypical male traits that men are supposed to conform to (I refuse to do so btw). So for those reason's I have a certain preference for female protagonists in general, as they pretty much instantly break the conventions I struggle with society having (even when I don't encounter them directly very often) while also satisfying my "curiosity" (for lack of a better term <.<).

Homosexuality in works in general is something which just interests me. At least in part because I can sympathize a bit as a member of a different minority group (asperger's syndrome), plus I like stuff which challenges society's conventions. Besides that, f it goes deeper than "different and exiting" I don't know yet tho <.<

Yuri in particular satisfies my desire for fluffiness, which you don't really find in sterotypical male interests.