Forum › Posts by OniXX

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

I only read titles with “bread” or “nsfw” tags

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

So wholesome that the only reason Harumi won’t actually slap Chiaki with her boobs is because she thinks Chiaki’s face is too cute to slap it

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

This chapter needs “wholesome” and “romance” tags

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Truck-kun foiled again!
What do we say to the Truck-kun of death? NOT TODAY! >=D

I had completely forgotten that truck-kun made an appearance in this manga. At least he used his powers for good this time.

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Fujio pouring a coffee into a to-go cup at 7-11

“Oh shit! I was drawing fucking manga, wasn’t I?”

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Yamada is just the purest creature alive, and I dearly wish that she could see herself the way Kase sees her. And this is a “man drawing woman” thing, but would it kill you to draw Yamada with a smile when Kase is fucking her? Thanks.

last edited at Oct 2, 2020 11:40PM

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sekai_de_ichiban_oppai_ga_suki_ch43#5

I do believe Harumi has creamed her knickers.

OniXX
VAMPEERZ discussion 21 Aug 14:29
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

I have a friend who is a licensed acupressure therapist, and apparently there is a pressure point for constipation that is on right along the “groin” line, so I think the author must have been aware of this...

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

The last page of chapter 60...

Koguma: I’m going to let Hino fondle my boobs as much as she wants!
Hino: Koguma will never let me fondle her boobs, so I baked replicas out of bread instead!

Hino-San no baka has never been truer

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Saeko: is driven to tears by the realization that her self-hatred is ruining her relationship

Dynasty-scans comments: Ph.D. thesis on gender studies

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

I really feel for Saeko in this chapter. Her self-esteem issues are very relatable.

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Am I the only one who has absolutely zero idea what’s going on? I can’t tell the new characters apart, I don’t understand their relationship to one another, no idea.

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Here's hoping this scuffle brings Tadokoro back to the light side (so to speak) in drawing hardboiled manga.

Yes, that’s the whole point of this setup. Tadokoro realizes that the protagonist for her manga has been Sakurako all along. So Sakurako is her manga protagonist and real-life-life protagonist. And it’s a huge hit! And the evil editor was wrong all along!

I assume this series is getting close to wrapping up.

Okay, called part one. Now the evil editor just needs to be vanquished.

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Here's hoping this scuffle brings Tadokoro back to the light side (so to speak) in drawing hardboiled manga.

Yes, that’s the whole point of this setup. Tadokoro realizes that the protagonist for her manga has been Sakurako all along. So Sakurako is her manga protagonist and real-life-life protagonist. And it’s a huge hit! And the evil editor was wrong all along!

I assume this series is getting close to wrapping up.

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

I don't really like the translators using that creepy incel "drop of coochie" slang in an earlier chapter.

+1

Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Nikaidou simultaneously learns what a top is and that she is one

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

I am disappointed to see more DV: daikon violence.

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Man, this girl just does not put up with any of miss delinquent's shit!

Let's take a moment to appreciate that she didn't just say if she had a daughter like her, she'd throw her out.
She said she'd throw her out the window.

Also known as “defenestration”.

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

The issue can be summed up under the sentence "the author is not very good at handling tonal shifts." Mikanuji also is basically making up drama and new characters as she goes along. This was what, originally an online thing that can end at anytime, but then it got picked up to be serialized. Where you can longer play that fast and loose with plot. Got to have a direction of some sort. Except we don't know if it's heading for the cliff or somewhere sensible.

I think the issue is more succinctly summed up as “if you read subtext into a story where there is none and it diminishes your enjoyment of it, that is not a failing of the author”.

For example, if you read Moby Dick and focus on how Melville’s portrayal of the disabled reveals his ablist agenda and due to this tonedeafness you hate the story - well, that’s okay I guess.

Fusoroi has a lot of faults, but an ultra-realistic representation of human relationships it is not.

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

In the NGL arc, a Chimera ant abducts two children and feeds them to the Chimera Queen alive.

Nice work on the “non-fantasy” example.

“My very narrow and very specific argument still holds because it only applies to this particular title. I will only accept evidence from no other titles, therefore, I cannot be disproven.”

Bullshit. I excluded fantasy because in that genre violence can have all kinds of variant meanings than in realism, like in the Bakemonogatari series, where the protagonist can get torn limb from limb and it’s funny because he’s a fucking vampire who regenerates faster than the enemy can injure him.

My issue is not moral, but artistic. The “comedy violence” tropes are a genre signal that the violence is notional and not to be taken seriously—everybody knows that, which is why the pious lectures about tropes are obtuse. But the Minami-abuse arcs send “realistic drama” genre signals—the basis of her character is that she’s a sweet, loving person with a history of being violently abused by people close to her.

When authors mix not just different but contradictory genre signals, the risk is what happens here—readers go “wtf—how are we supposed to take this?” The story sets up sympathy for Minami as the victim of unjustified violence, then shows Iori suddenly smacking her out of nowhere for being emotionally insecure, and that’s supposed to be funny. Good luck with that.

So if you are arguing that this title is “non-fantasy”, please direct me to this place in Japan that is populated exclusively with beautiful, young, wide-eyed lesbians who never have PMS or menstruate. This ‘realistic drama’ in which a teenager with very large visible tattoos and piercings is not chastised by every person over 35 they encounter. Where two women spend the night having sex in a love hotel and wake up with nary a puffy eye or hair out of place.

The artist doesn’t dramatize any ugly people in this title. Perhaps in this ‘realistic drama’, ugly people have bags placed over their heads and are rounded up to be placed in holding pens so the beautiful people never have to see them or interact with them. If you have a gummy smile, or crooked teeth, or are slightly overweight you are banished from this “realistic drama”.

You are perfectly okay with this example of fantasy in this title. You are not okay with the fantasy violence because you are literally citing only the examples that support your argument. It’s confirmation bias, pure and simple.

OK, I’m guessing you’re not that stupid as to think that this series meets any reasonable definition of “fantasy” as a genre, so all this has just been bluster to win an argument on the internet.

You “win”—you’re so awesome.

And if you think that a story about exclusively beautiful young lesbians doesn’t have fantasy elements, you are just reinforcing your own disingenuousness. Get over yourself.

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

In the NGL arc, a Chimera ant abducts two children and feeds them to the Chimera Queen alive.

“My very narrow and very specific argument still holds because it only applies to this particular title. I will only accept evidence from no other titles, therefore, I cannot be disproven.”

Bullshit. I excluded fantasy because in that genre violence can have all kinds of variant meanings than in realism, like in the Bakemonogatari series, where the protagonist can get torn limb from limb and it’s funny because he’s a fucking vampire who regenerates faster than the enemy can injure him.

My issue is not moral, but artistic. The “comedy violence” tropes are a genre signal that the violence is notional and not to be taken seriously—everybody knows that, which is why the pious lectures about tropes are obtuse. But the Minami-abuse arcs send “realistic drama” genre signals—the basis of her character is that she’s a sweet, loving person with a history of being violently abused by people close to her.

When authors mix not just different but contradictory genre signals, the risk is what happens here—readers go “wtf—how are we supposed to take this?” The story sets up sympathy for Minami as the victim of unjustified violence, then shows Iori suddenly smacking her out of nowhere for being emotionally insecure, and that’s supposed to be funny. Good luck with that.

So if you are arguing that this title is “non-fantasy”, please direct me to this place in Japan that is populated exclusively with beautiful, young, wide-eyed lesbians who never have PMS or menstruate. This ‘realistic drama’ in which a teenager with very large visible tattoos and piercings is not chastised by every person over 35 they encounter. Where two women spend the night having sex in a love hotel and wake up with nary a puffy eye or hair out of place.

The artist doesn’t dramatize any ugly people in this title. Perhaps in this ‘realistic drama’, ugly people have bags placed over their heads and are rounded up to be placed in holding pens so the beautiful people never have to see them or interact with them. If you have a gummy smile, or crooked teeth, or are slightly overweight you are banished from this “realistic drama”.

You are perfectly okay with this example of fantasy in this title. You are not okay with the fantasy violence because you are literally citing only the examples that support your argument. It’s confirmation bias, pure and simple.

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Bullshit snarking about “Japanese trope bandages” aside, are there any other examples of non-fantasy manga series that attempt to incorporate both comedic violence and dead-serious horrifying domestic abuse?

If you want to take a work of illustrated fiction literally, have at it. But then you’ll also have to accept that there are literally people floating over other character’s heads during flashbacks. Or that time is being represented in real time and flashbacks must happen after the time they’re being remembered by characters. Or that word balloons actually exist in this world and everyone communicates by reading each other’s word balloons.

You can’t pick and choose which literary and artistic devices you want to take literally and those you don’t just to make some non-point about a very serious real-world issue.

Have you ever read Hunter X Hunter? Children are beaten up by adults for both comedic and “serious” violence. For example, Bisky slaps Killua around to “smack some sense into him” and leaves him with facial swelling that disappears moments later. In the NGL arc, a Chimera ant abducts two children and feeds them to the Chimera Queen alive. Gon gets the holy crap kicked out of him by adults repeatedly during fights. And he’s 11 years old at the beginning of the story. But using your logic, it’s essentially a story about child abuse. And instead of going on to grow into surpassing his father as an elite hunter, the story should have ended in chapter 2 with CPS arriving and placing Gon into foster care. Because hey, there was some slapstick violence and because there is also serious violence that means all violence must be interpreted literally. Or else the author is making light of child abuse. Or something.

last edited at May 6, 2020 10:10AM

OniXX
Harumin
joined Jun 1, 2018

Yeah, Minami really needs those Japanese trope bandages to cover those Japanese trope...gashes...Iori caused with her...Japanese trope gashing...hits? I mean, those bandages are medically necessary and are not at all a manga/anime trope. They are meant to be taken very literally and seriously, why I myself have hit my head on a low doorframe and immediately a huge flesh-colored, bulbous, hairless protuberance appeared, and get this, it already had a bandage on it! Good thing I’ve watched a lot of anime because I knew that it would be gone completely by the time the next scene rolled around. But it was serious! Very serious.