Forum › Posts by Corypha

Corypha
Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

Loving the art, but man, it got predictable half-way through. And not in the good way.

Corypha
Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

It's hard to say whatever that is how author wanted to end it, but I assume the same thing that happened to any other manga with rushed/unsatisfying ending. It got axed.

Ah, sorry, there was a bit of a misunderstanding. I was thinking about making the manga overall. It may be just me, but I feel like the mangaka has some kind of goal by coming up with this story and drawing it. I thought the same for Kodomo no Jikan. I mean, they're mostly comedy, but sometimes I feel like the conversations get deep, probably too deep. Then again, I may be overthinking.

The only problem I see is the sentence "You are the only girl I'd ever go for..."

Which makes it another case of "If it's you, it's okay". So, you know... she's not gay. If Fujimaki gave her the okay, she'd drop the lesbian relationship.

It's a pretty underhanded way to water the gay down.

Nah, there are plenty of real world bi people like that. I used to know a girl that was like 80% strait but there was this one female friend of mine she was into. They actually got together a few times but outside of that I don't think she ever went for another girl. She's married with kids these days.

Anyway my point is bi people come on a spectrum and although I don't know if there is a word for it, there are bi people that are basically the bisexual equivalent of demi sexual when it comes to their less preferred sex. In other words they tend to be mostly strait but can become attracted to same sex friends they have developed emotional attachments to. I have also heard of people who are mostly gay, but who have ended up becoming sexually attracted to a member of the opposite sex that they developed a strong emotional bond with.

Seconded, though I understand what Nya meant. There would've been better ways to say that, thus far (and for the rest of her life), the only girl Sarina's attracted to is Yukimori, and just Yukimori.
Though the reason why it can feel off is because of her past hetbait with Fujimaki.

Corypha
Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

I never considered it a yuribait. Just a comedy story that happened to have a lesbian character. Yukimori was handled very well and just the fact her love was treated and addressed seriously, made it satisfying to me, so them getting together at the end was more of a cherry on the top. I would be perfectly fine if they didn't because that wasn't something I expected going into it. I thought it will be your standard het and having lesbian character (which I managed to guess from hints, before it was even revealed) was already a great surprise (especially since she is my favorite character in it), so the fact they not only end up together, despite clearly rushed ending, but we were actually shown it is serious (as in, they fucked) feels very satisfying.

I completely agree with you, and on everything you said.

Though, does anyone know why the ending was this rushed ? Is there some kind of postface from the author ? It'd be interesting to know the author's intentions by making this.

Corypha
Stretch discussion 02 Dec 12:39
Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

I'm a bit sad to see that most people (even in 2018 lol) got angry at that ending - though I suppose reading a manga for two years only for it to end this abruptly can be quite frustrating. That, and the few moments of subtext. But, honestly, when you read it in one go, that ending isn't all that bad, and the manga is really enjoyable.

I'd like to think of it that the author only wanted to show us a part of their life. People have their own troubles, their own life prospects, and though they both love each other a lot, supported one another during hard times, that's just how life goes. Doesn't mean that they can't remain SUPER friends - and potentially go out with each other, but that'd be a stretch for now. Though here and there I can clearly see bits of subtext from Ran, but I guess it's not enough for the manga (or the corresponding chapters) to have that tag.

But oh well. I wouldn't mind a sequel - tho it won't happen - with a more ... 'direct' plot. I mean, the manga was supposed to be only about stretching, so having actual plot with only a few pages per chapter felt weird.

Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

That timeskip got me off-guard. What.

Please don't end abruptly, it was just getting good ...

Corypha
Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

I thought at first that Tamaki is a manipulative woman/a player, and from what I can read in the comments I wasn't the only one left with that impression. So there's that... But this is very confusing from Nagi's POV. Yuu is definitely in love with Tamaki and, honestly, if they were to be together, it'd be pretty messed up... So yeah, we need that sequel.

Also, the art is confusing as well, especially the backgrounds. The characters are there but :
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/i_beg_of_you#3 Why didn't they draw at least their desks but made a detailed background in other boxes?

Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

Kaede is already in a committed Subtextual relationship.

She has multiples same-sex friendshipial relationships

Yeah, at some point Konatsu's frienship was stronger with Kaede than Koyuki lol

Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

You know Konatsu is a Tokyo Girl when her profile pic is her with a dog filter

Jokes aside: now that I read "The Salamander" (anything for the yuri.), I feel like I can finally give my opinion on the manga. And honestly I think the "Subtext" tag can't be anymore accurate of what the manga does...
I really like the many references to Ibuse Masuji's short story - though it feels like it's completely based on it when it comes to Koyuki and Konatsu's relationship. (Sorry if I'm about to repeat something that was already said in the previous comments)

Long story short (though it's a short story.), "The Salamander" allows the reader to interpret the salamander and the frog's relationship however they want. It doesn't set in stone what they think of each other at the end of it, only their dialogues and actions are written down. This is pretty much the same here. We have countless "flags" of Koyuki having her friendship with Konatsu going over 9000, but it feels like the Yuri Goddess swore to secrecy until one of the girls actually say something directly. That, and the lilies blooming in the background.
So honestly, even if it's frustrating, it feels like the author just wants to give the same freedom of interpretation as "The Salamander"...

... and then Kaede turns out to be the main love interest, that'd be perfect

Corypha
Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016

When I saw this I thought for a second it'd be the kind of doujin that pays no attention to the story, just drawn to satisfy some sort of shipping desire but ...
In fact, they did a pretty good job.
Sure it's disturbing, but it works. Actually, it's because it's disturbing that it works. So yeah, I didn't expect that.

One thing that seemed weird to me are the "kyute" here and there from Kotoko's speech - I'm used to the English's translation of the game, in which they said "adorbs". But hey not like it really matters.

Corypha
Image Comments 24 May 13:53
Umi_smol
joined May 1, 2016
Stopthat

Can we talk about the fact that Hanamaru and Ruby have each other's initials in their pseudo ?