Forum › Posts by Alice Cheshire

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Hagane Miku by Shinichi Tahara

They've actually drawn a fair chunk of my favorite vocaloid images. Out of the five I'm most likely to use they've drawn four of them including the above. Others:

MiKUSABBATH
MOKSHA
H-style Megurine Luka (Not Okurine Luka though, it looks to actually be just Hagane Luka.)
Calcium by Tuzki

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Citrus discussion 01 Mar 14:49
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Whenever a new chapter of Citrus comes out, my reaction is torn between excitement and extreme frusturation. -

People would probably be less dramatic overall if they weren't forced to be so patient, lol. This seems like one of those mangas you might enjoy overall but in the middle of it all you're just going to find it frustrating and it's the ending that makes everything better. Having to stop and wait after each and every chapter like this only serves to be frustrating. (I'm not saying the manga or translations should be rushed by the way.)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Citrus discussion 28 Feb 22:04
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

The sketchy, unfinished panels are flashbacks, as I read the sequence. It's a novel way to do that. Mei, current situation, finished, makes her recall something, that sequence, unfinished, back to Mei, real time.

That's another great way to read the sequence. And is certainly a pretty novel way to tell flashbacks on a printed medium.

Could be communicated a little more clearly why things are drawn that way though. I just found it jarring and confusing instead. A great way if the reader is actually aware of it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

At p46 it says the bath powder is lemon flavoured. Now I don't use bath powder, but that seems off... Regardless, I think we can all agree that lemons are the most tsundere of citrus fruits.

Are you telling me you don't eat bath powder? What the hell...

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Also, after graduation, Sugi is surprised to realize that Tamamin doesn't know what's up, so it seems at that point she's been assuming that their friends have figured it out.

She shouldn't be too surprised. Taguchi is inexperienced and Kuno doesn't care about anyone's love life but her own.

And Tamamin is kinda a bit of a dummy. The thought probably just hasn't crossed any of the threes' minds though since they're not quite as perceptive as Sugi-san seems to be.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Love Letter discussion 24 Feb 09:54
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

It's kinda ambiguous but I think it's lightly implied that there's at least a chance. Sayako obviously at least has some interest for her and the reason she gives for it being no good if they're reborn as girl was logical enough and only seemed to have anything to do with the fact they were a guy and a girl in their previous lives.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

What a coincidence... Do something bad, get hit by a truck.

If she legitimately felt bad about what she did it could have either been something she did on purpose (a suicide attempt for example) or she was simply distracted by feeling bad about her actions so she didn't notice the truck coming.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Stretch discussion 20 Feb 16:01
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

sometimes there's nothing that turns you on like a crying woman....

Wouldn't the normal response be to want to hug her to death? (Or at least until she stops crying. I suppose the death part is optional.)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well, she doesn't always want them to be happy. She did say that she'd considered having Mari and Akko separate at the end since she likes dramatic endings.

Wait. What?! No! I prefer how it ended. It'll ruin my yuri world if that's what she did.

It would have been a really awful ending after all that drama and build up too. Would have been about as bad as those ones that build up for several hundred pages and then end ambiguously or simply don't have an actual ending at all. (With it only winning out because even if it's a bad ending it's still an ending so the reader doesn't feel as screwed out of their time.)

last edited at Feb 22, 2015 10:01AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

If someone has a raw page that he thinks was pretty hard to edit and could direct me to that so I can look for myself how I fare, I'd be really thankful. I've read pretty much every yuri available in english, so instead of rereading my favorite series like once a week, I might as well help to get some new yuri onto this site.

You might try emailing Sachiko from Kawaii Scans since they're looking for editors right now. They look to have an editing sample lined up already for people which seems to be a good example of what sort of skill and time is required. It does seem to be a bit time consuming if you have no idea what you're doing though. The three pages I tried took me about 2-1/2 hours to do. (This included figuring out what from the script goes where on the page, putting the text on the page, then cleaning up the left overs from the original text and redrawing anything that needed to be redrawn.)

http://kawaii.ca/?p=614

last edited at Feb 19, 2015 8:12AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

did they use small scans? it was hard for me to read with the small resolution.

It was really difficult for me to read too. I already have bad vision but these scans are about a third of my monitor's resolution in height. Putting my hand up to my monitor to compare them they go from my wrist to the second knuckle on my middle finger. They're really microscopic.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
She-wolf discussion 12 Feb 22:10
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Though I do hear that a transgender's sexual preference can sometimes change during their transition between sexes, I think that is the only exception, and they have no control over that.

From what I've seen it generally tends to be a matter of societal pressure and refusing to admit how they feel to themselves. When they admit to themselves they're transgender they're normally a lot more resigned to just admitting to themselves "this is how I feel so I may as well just admit it".

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Their Story discussion 12 Feb 06:29
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This so cute Q shit I cant wait for the next !!!!!!

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ef4a1abd9938110a372672d8da66a84c/tumblr_njihzsAe0N1tjyeywo2_1280.jpg

http://36.media.tumblr.com/15e52f29e74521260b0820a5d2f4efd5/tumblr_njihzsAe0N1tjyeywo3_1280.jpg

You should probably make it more clear that those links are pages that haven't been published on Dynasty yet so people who are following it here rather than the scanlator's blog don't click them thinking they're something else such as an image macro and risk spoiling something for them.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

i like this, that last page had me scared for a while though. i thought Yuma was actually going to just think of the kiss as an overly friendly apology, thankfully though that wasnt the case....? well i am going to think of it that way regardless :P

I refuse to see it that way. Though Yuma does make it fairly clear she was fully aware of Madoka's feelings the entire time anyways so it would be kinda unrealistic for her to somehow not take it that way.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Sayaka's a girl? Never would've guessed.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
The Flower discussion 10 Feb 17:46
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Frankly, I don't see why it should be demeaning.

For one, trap is used on pretty specific contexts (mainly when talking about fiction) that rarely refer to people who fully identify as transgender and what is more, they never refer to transgendered women.

The term trap specifically mean a MAN that looks like a woman. Implying that a transgender woman being referred to as a trap is a man. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

I could believe some transgendered women feel offended by the "reverse trap" term but even then, it seems somewhat of a stretch

No shit, because it implies they look like a man when they are doing the best they can to do the exact opposite.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
The Flower discussion 10 Feb 01:52
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

A trap is when a guy looks exactly like a girl.

Which is exactly why it's demeaning to transgender women.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

can we just go back to the main storyline please... unless there's a twist where takako and yui turn into a real couple, i'm not interested... -.-

Well unless you wait to see the end you can't exactly tell whether there will be a twist like that or not, no?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

But the Nana and Hitomi stories are some of the most passionate, poignant, heartfelt stuff ever published in manga, yuri or otherwise.

I always thought those stories were better overall than Girl Friends. Not that Girl Friends was bad either way though. (And it's still the mango that introduced me to the genre so even if it was bad it'd always have that special little place in my heart.)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well that was a fair bit more dramatic than I was expecting. Still an alright end though. My only issue is that when Miu lets her hair down it's kinda like the inverse of most of Morinaga's main characters. Usually it's the light haired one with the long hair and the dark haired one with the short hair but I still find it slightly annoying that it seems to be impossible to avoid those default character looks in her mangas. Girl Friends, Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossom Pink, and Fall In Love all have basically the same sorts of main characters visually. The Secret Recipe has the club president whose name I'm completely spacing right now who looks the same with the exception of glasses. It's not the biggest of issues but it still feels a bit weird.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I love Candy Boy. But I think I like this side story even more.

This is exactly what I was coming here to post, lol.

Why does Yuri always have to end this way? One kiss in the end and then bam! one person has to move away.

It was fairly clear this was a temporary move though. They can't know how long exactly but they're just staying with the grandmother while her health is bad.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

since translations and TLC's are done up to chapter 21.

Probably a dumb question but what does "TLC's" stand for? I've seen this term a couple times and I'm honestly not quite sure what it means.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Waiting impatiently for the next chapter. :)

Wait, or don't. Under One Roof.

I think "Wait, or wait." would be a little more accurate, lol. We don't exactly have much choice but to wait after all.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This series is bad for my health...

Serriously, i have arrhythmia, and this is just...

HNNNNNG

At least when your heart fails it'll be totally worth it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
LOVE/DEATH discussion 02 Feb 11:12
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

TBH I personally think calling them yanderes is totally missing the point. Neither of them show the obsessiveness or crazed possessiveness that marks the classic yandere, to start with. But more importantly, it's clear that both of them are basically the archetype of the highly-trained, hair-trigger assassin type, put in a completely different context (girl-girl romance). All the stuff they do, if you remove the battles, would not be out of place in any issue of Yuri Hime or Hirari.

Violence is their language, but to me it's in a much different fashion to a typical yandere.

Fair enough point. I think they do show some possessiveness though. The parts where they tried to kill each other chapter 1 simply because they liked the other one and thought their feelings weren't mutual as well as the extreme jealousy on their date are definitely the sorts of actions a yandere character would take.

To make a proper judgment over whether they're actually yandere or not we'll probably just need to be patient and wait and see how the story continues to develop. Though the satire point aoinokansei brought up is also completely valid. (And in the end whether they're yandere or not I think is actually mostly irrelevant anyways. The story is hilarious yet adorable regardless.)