Forum › Posts by zensunni

joined Feb 18, 2015

Confirmation that the girl is still a minor... so she agreed to "date" her but is holding strong to the "not going to commit a crime" concept. At this point, she should just ask her parent's permission and go for it! I mean, their daughter approached her. She has a high-paying job from all appearances. "Sir, I'd like to ask for your daughter's hand. I'll take good care of her financially and will cherish her. I make more per year than most men in this city."

last edited at Sep 17, 2021 10:10AM

zensunni
joined Feb 18, 2015

Is that the same shrine where Reina takes Kumiko during the festival and they play the trumpet/euphonium duet of "The Place Where We Found Love"? The view looks very familiar. (And, yes... I use that song as my alarm music on my phone still to this day. It's a fantastic piece of music and that scene burnt it into my brain.)

joined Feb 18, 2015

End of page 3: fast forward to a wedding (with a "new" partner for the the girl I guess). The boy is in middle school, he wears a gakuran. The woman (his own mother?) , the little girl (his little sister?) and the boy are attendees of the wedding.

Not necessarily a new partner for the girl. She could have followed the boy's recommendation and been persistent with her girlfriend until she agreed to take her back, then they stayed together and eventually had a ceremony whether her mom approved or not.

joined Feb 18, 2015

And we never found out how she did on her exams...

joined Feb 18, 2015

This needs to be a series!

joined Feb 18, 2015

"-Please go out with me."
"-Hell no. ¿Dating a minor? That's crime, don't ever approach me with that idea again"

A year later

"Please go out with me."
"Yeah sure"

One would presume that she is 18 now?

'Sorry I refuse to date a minor'
->Date her anyway
Wee woo wee woo

You missed the "get to know each other for a year" part, during which the younger girl might have very well become a legal adult.

last edited at Sep 8, 2021 6:55PM

joined Feb 18, 2015

I'm not sure I understand that leap in logic at the end of chapter 8. What do I want for her, and I need to move house? As in move in with akebi or move out?

Not sure we're supposed to understand it yet, this author really really loves these little cliffhangers at the end of the chapter. (But other commenters already pointed out it could be something along the lines of "Akebi will be safer without the weird men magnet living with her").

I wondered if that was the leap of illogic that she made, despite the fact that there hadn't been any issues AT Akebi's house while she's been living there, just things outside of the house on her route to work, etc...

The beginning of this chapter was a bit of a stretch. It leaves a TON to the imagination from just the image of a guy in a medical mask in the bushes at the end of the previous chapter. Would it have been that hard to show at least a comic puff ball fight with Akebi landing on top of the guy like the Captain on a certain alcoholic beverage bottle and then freaking out about it?

zensunni
The Train discussion 07 Sep 16:40
joined Feb 18, 2015

I have one thing to say in defense of the girl who broke up with her college-bound maybe-girlfriend: self-esteem problems and feeling like you're just going to "hold her back" because you just aren't good enough are a real thing.

That's how I read that character...

joined Feb 18, 2015

When your loli dominatrixes interrupt your serious infidelity moment... That's a sentence I never thought I'd type...

zensunni
joined Feb 18, 2015

Am I the only person kind of weirded out that a magazine writer would track down and question children about their attempted double suicide to "set the record straight"? Were they that starved for stories that they had to corner a couple of hormonal powerhouses about why they made a dumb decision?

lesbian suicides or attempted suicides were all the rage in prewar magazines, it's not weird at all. Distasteful maybe, but not weird.

It was also the standard way to end a yuri novel or manga—with the tragic suicide (or for greater ambiguity the "accidental-death-that-looks-an-awful-lot-like-a-suicide") of one or both of the lesbians.

You find it in postwar fiction too, all the way to the last stretch of the 20th century.

That wasn't just in Japanese lesbian fiction. It is a large part of the reason that "The Price of Salt" was such an important novel. Prior to its publication, even pulp novels featuring lesbian (or gay) relationships ended with the "deviant" having to "pay" for their sins, as Patricia Highsmith noted in the 'Afterword' to the first edition of the novel that she allowed her own name to be attached to:

"The appeal of The Price of Salt was that it had a happy ending for its two main characters, or at least they were going to try to have a future together. Prior to this book, homosexuals male and female in American novels had had to pay for their deviation by cutting their wrists, drowning themselves in a swimming pool, or by switching to heterosexuality (so it was stated), or by collapsing—alone and miserable and shunned—into a depression equal to hell."

In short, the publishing industry treated gay and lesbian fiction as morality literature to try to "scare people straight". It continues on to this day or we wouldn't have the concept of shows that follow the "bury your gays" trope.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I know plenty of people who get emotional support from their friends rather than their lover/spouse.

This is a case where she considers the emotional support friend to be a romantic rival, though. There's an issue with her believing she understands Asahi's feelings better than Asahi herself, even if it's presented as true in the text, but being insecure to the tune of feeling second best isn't a good foundation at all. I think she was pretty mature to walk away.

I think even Asahi would believe that the people around her would understand her own feelings better than herself since she doesn't have a clue about them!

joined Feb 18, 2015

I wasn't even rooting for Fuuka and Asahi, but it's still sad. Of course I feel bad for Fuuka, but I also feel like she's giving up way too soon after hanging on for years? But I suppose it's maybe in character for her, who is said to go into and out of relationships quickly.

I don't think Fuuka gave up too soon. As you said, she's known, and been in love with, Asahi for YEARS. The only reason she actually tried to make her move is that she saw the writing on the wall. She watched how Asahi and Hinako acted around each other and could tell that, even though Asahi and Hinako were both far too naive about love, especially between two women, to really recognize what was happening between them, they were falling for each other, if it hadn't already happened and they just couldn't put a name on the feelings yet. Heck, earlier on the day when Asahi "ran away" to Hinako's house, Asahi mentioned that Hinako was staying home to clean her apartment and Fuuka snarked that nobody asked about Hinako and yet Asahi seems to bring her up even when she isn't around. And then she finds out that she went to Hinako to help her get ready for the date. The fact that she chose her own nail polish color was only a small positive in that for Fuuka. Everything else about Asahi's date preparations was a massive red flag. And even that small positive was still influenced by Hinako because Asahi normally wouldn't bother with nail polish. It's also kind of telling that Asahi didn't tell Fuuka the whole truth about the nail polish. When she asked if it was from Hinako, Asahi replied that she picked it herself. But it was from choices presented to her by Hinako and Hinako bought it for her as a present, so very technically the answer was "yes". The fact that Asahi felt the need to color the truth in that manner suggests that she understood by that point, at least to some degree, that it was her relationship with Hinako that prompted Fuuka to tell her about her feelings after all these years.

There's also the wording Fuuka used when describing what she "expected" from Asahi if they were "going out": "When you're suffering, I want you to rely on me the most." There was a reason Fuuka put that first. The thing that pushed her into confessing and asking Asahi out on this date in the first place was when Asahi "ran away from home" because of her argument with Subaru. And whom did she rely on when she was suffering then? Hinako! Finding out that Asahi also relied on that same person to help her look good for their date, even though she "didn't tell her it was a date" (like that worked), pretty much started the date off with confirmation that it was a lost cause.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I don't think I get the sensei's 'Ahh!' reaction in the last page of Ch. 9. Did she cum (or similar) from being asked 'Your answer?'

Someone explain it to me like i'm dumb because i'm dumb.

It's a sub thing. Kiddo is asserting her dominance by grabbing sensei by the hair and demanding an answer to her question, thus putting sensei in her place.

It's an "Ahh, I can't go against her and I'm delighted by that" kinda thing

I was trying to decide whether she was patting her head or grabbing her by the hair. I'll go with the latter interpretation...

joined Feb 18, 2015

Well, I think it would've been shitty if she had just given up on her current bf or handwaved it with "oh I never actually loved him anyway." like some stories do. Yeah, she probably has some feelings still, but truth of the matter is that Wakana was just too late--she's already committed now (in an assumedly happy, mutually requited relationship). Girl's just bi yknow?
(And yea, she could've been the one to take initiative back then--but that's not more her fault than it is Wakana.)

Also, I don't remember if there's been signs of her having feelings for Wakana; I might just have to reread it. But I kinda hope that Yuina was just messing around. It just feels kinda... cheap? when the story goes "oh, your best friend was the one destined for you all along!"
'Cause then, as others have mentioned, I don't see the point in this whole extra arc for anything else than some extra drama. Just let the girl find someone else? There's plenty of fish out in the sea.

Hmmm...

Yuina and Wakana, I could CRY! It feels kind of forced and rushed given the current situation but I could see it working in the end.

I don't know. I kinda got the feeling that Yuina was crushing on Wakana for a while now. I even entertained the idea that she was, somehow, the same girl that had taken piano lessons with her because she looked quite similar and because of the way she reacted to the story. Now I'm thinking that she's the cousin who invited Sara to come to their school festival. If that's the case, I'm sure she knew her cousin was dating someone already and probably did it in order to get Wakana to move on from her crush.

That said, volunteering to be Wakana's rebound girl isn't necessarily the smartest decision in the world! But that's not saying that it has no chance of working...

I am curious about what kind of training Sora is planning on putting her girlfriend through to get her over her tendency to collapse under pressure.

last edited at Aug 26, 2021 4:10PM

zensunni
joined Feb 18, 2015

This is fantastic! I absolutely love the interaction between the two. The complete cluelessness of Sasaki combined with the thirst of Ueno is pure yuri gold!

zensunni
joined Feb 18, 2015

Well... that's a super traditional "start dating on the last page" ending if ever I saw one... I do look forward to the epilogue in the final volume though.

zensunni
Hidden discussion 21 Aug 01:37
joined Feb 18, 2015

I’m a little confused,, could someone pls explain where tf did mona get her,, like,, tentacles from ???? Isnt she an elf

She appears to be a demon of some sort...

joined Feb 18, 2015

I think the funniest part about this, and possibly the factor that comes close to being a "redeeming quality", is that the author makes it very clear that the adult generally feels like these things are wrong and believes that things "just got out of hand" each time, meanwhile, the kid is intentionally arranging things to put the older woman into these situations, such as telling her she didn't kill the mosquito when she did or taking the milk carton and saying that condensed milk is the only thing she found. If it weren't clear that the kid is in the driver's seat and the adult is a clueless wonder who is being taken advantage of by the budding young dom, it would be much more disturbing... not that it isn't a bit distrubing as it is...

joined Feb 18, 2015

I'm wondering if Fuuko is the girl that got hurt in middle school?

zensunni
joined Feb 18, 2015

Page 7....who's that????? Oh no

I find it hard to believe that it was one of her classmates. The person looks like an adult.

Except that, for the most part, people who are in their late teens are fully grown and don't look all that different from adults, especially if you can't see their face. This is especially true for girls. They reach their full adult height sooner.

What is really amazing is that her friend was thinking she was kissing a man when the person she was kissing had a very feminine hairstyle. I guess the trenchcoat probably masks her curves and she is quite tall, but still, most guys with long hair don't wear it loose like that.

zensunni
joined Feb 18, 2015

And you realize that you're right outside her home and, since she doesn't seem to have come out to her parents or told them she's dating, you're tempting fate, right?

zensunni
Liberty discussion 16 Aug 03:06
joined Feb 18, 2015

That would be HER family in England...

joined Feb 18, 2015

So, MC, lemme get this straight (pardon my French): Amemiya is like the ultimate beauty on Earth, and a total ice queen, and she never looks at people or talks to anyone, but she went out of her way to talk to you and she was all smiley and friendly and stuff?

Time to buy a lottery ticket, girl, gonna be a lucky day.

Seriously! You just hit pay dirt! Buy her one of those cute things hanging on your bag and strike up a real conversation next time!

joined Feb 18, 2015

The poor cinnamon roll! Yes, it was a massively heteronormative assumption, but he thought he'd found someone he could use as a role model... now he's just embarrassed beyond belief!

zensunni
joined Feb 18, 2015

Man, am I glad that the jealousy/miscommunication arc is over! I'm looking forward to how Yamada and Kase's relationship grows from here on out.

That's UNTIL Yamada goes over to Kase's university festival and gets there right when Kase's roommate decides to do something about these feelings she's been having lately, totally catching Kase off guard and looking like she is ok with it until after Yamada runs away crying.