Forum › Posts by Blastaar

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Firefly Fanatic posted:

Nakatani....... is a god.

Please don't start another religion, last time we had a holy war and we lost half the forum populace... Yes, The Great Ejima Eri war.
That's when Nez chan got her famous Onepunch-ban nickname

I bear my scars proudly from that one (having taken care never to fall afoul of Nezchan).

Admittedly, I still tend to go into a fugue state when I hear the word “platonic,” but that’s better than a berserker rage, amirite?

Blastaar
Their Story discussion 01 Jul 13:09
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So this Chapter 189 ISN'T Their Story, right? Is it going to be removed (or at least listed as something else) at some point? People are getting confused.

It's still good though, and the translators went to the trouble of translating it, so I hope it stays on this site in some capacity.

Agreed—I think it’s a wonderful piece. It certainly looks like it’s not Their Story, though.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Any bets on what the prize will be? "Dinner with my parents"? "Screw your knuckles, kiss me openly"?

Calling it now, the cheesecake flag will finally be satisfied. It has been set up dozens of chapters ago, so the time has come! I can almost taste the words...

"Let me eat your cheesecake senpai."

But Yuu doesn’t know about the secret cheesecake-recipe exchange, so—Rei intervention?

They ain't talking about THAT cheseecake ;)

Oh, THAT?

That’s not cheesecake—that’s cherry pie.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Any bets on what the prize will be? "Dinner with my parents"? "Screw your knuckles, kiss me openly"?

Calling it now, the cheesecake flag will finally be satisfied. It has been set up dozens of chapters ago, so the time has come! I can almost taste the words...

"Let me eat your cheesecake senpai."

But Yuu doesn’t know about the secret cheesecake-recipe exchange, so—Rei intervention?

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

She'll miss the stop, right? Damnit. Why did she fall asleep.

Just spitballing here, but—because she’s an idiot?

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@Maximus66

Are ya fo real, bruh?

I could make a longer, more well-structured response, but BugDevil beat me to it.

That didn’t deserve the thoughtful response it got.

That’s literally the most ill-informed—not to mention idiotic—reading of a manga I’ve ever seen (and I’ve seen a lot of brain-dead nonsense about manga).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I never thought the day would come when Yagakimi would get an NSFW doujin. That day has come and far sooner than I thought.

I thought it was long overdue myself.

Pretty plausible characterizations, too.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But the main appeal of shoujo-ai is how cute and pure it is, so sex isn't something I see the genre broach a lot.

Is somebody gonna tell them?

Can’t we get a pinned post on this topic? Otherwise, there is . . . confusion, denial, sadness, repetitive posts upholding specious arguments, cross-cultural cross-talk, and did I mention confusion?

[Unlike in some other venues, for a variety of complex reasons the term “shoujo-ai” is not used on Dynasty.]

In this case, multiple criteria for “yuri” status have been fulfilled, including, but not limited to:

• Two girls falling in love with each other
  • Confessions of mutual love proffered and accepted
  • Indirect kissing via water bottle
  • French kissing
  • Dating, in public
  • Dating, bedroom makeout session
  • Hand holding, simple
  • Hand holding, intertwined fingers
  • Hand holding, reverse intertwined fingers
  • Indirect kissing via self-finger-kiss followed by hand holding

Even if “shoujo-ai” were a thing on Dynasty (which it is not), this series would have been “Yuri First-Class with Oak Leaf clusters.”

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I got a fair amount of pushback some time ago when I pointed out that Yuu actually initiated a lot of skinship and/or opportunities for such.

It seemed important to the pushers-back at the time that, say, Yuu grabbing Touko’s hand at the stuco election group photo or inviting Touko to her room and then getting up in Touko’s grille when she got embarrassed weren’t explicitly “romantic” and therefore irrelevant, but I’ve always been convinced that, although she has always taken a subordinate role to her senpai, Yuu has also always been a pretty proactive kind of girl when it counted.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While Morinaga's art style is cute and all, but I barely made it until the 16th chapter and it is really making me feel disgusted, because of all these het bitches and enko and male bastards who are just after JK to hook them up. Enough is enough.

Not enough frothing at the mouth.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It just depends on what Nakatani wants to do with it. Last hurdle or victory lap? I could see it going either way.

If ever a series deserved a victory lap . . .

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

By what measure would you rate quality of a translation, if not by how accurate and flowing it is?

Not quarreling with your main point—I’ve definitely seen some rushed translations, and the later ones, when available, do tend to be smoother.

To be honest I didn't see anything in your reply that even contradicted my words at all... So I don't really know what to reply.
Accurate, so that the meaning is transfered as closely as possible.
Flowing, so that it actually sounds like something an English speaking person would say, rather than an alien.

I think those two words reflect exactly the issues you've brought up. Quality takes time, I think we all know that much.

Just that there can be number of different “good” translations, and that “accuracy” can be a moving target when when trying to evoke both denotation and connotation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Kaede is ace wingman/guardian angel, taking all this time away from her friendship with Snarkmeister Glasses-chan.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I guess I am not the kind who cares about kinda awkward or stiff English/Spanish in translations very much xD Japanese is a very different language from those so i gotta see the effort behind translating such language even if the result is a bit awkward x.x as long as the ideas from the original are conveyed clearly

By what measure would you rate quality of a translation, if not by how accurate and flowing it is?

Not quarreling with your main point—I’ve definitely seen some rushed translations, and the later ones, when available, do tend to be smoother.

But there’s a fundamental issue that all Japanese > English manga translators need to finesse, which is transforming a story written for a high-context culture into one suitable for a low-context culture. Things just need to spelled out that are givens or understood for the original audience.

Either way a translation leans, something important is at risk for getting lost—tone and atmosphere for the original audience, basic information/narrative understanding for the target audience. I’d expect YagaKimi (among others) to be a challenge in that regard, with a lot of fraught conversations depending on the reading of a word or phrase for their impact.

This kind of translation is not quite the same as transforming a lyric poem into technical instructions. But it’s in the same neighborhood. :)

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

BugDevil posted:

Darkness within darkness awaits in this thread. Does this mean the low quality translation is already out?

Only in Spanish... and is not very good haha so yeah, I won't spoil any further

3 chapters left then (officially announced) but I don't know what they gonna do with that... Well, I wouldn't complain if they just go around having dates or whatever until [The End] haha

Yo no hablo español.
So that means most of the people here just looked at the raws. Must be pretty self-explanatory if they didn't need text.

Yeah I'm totally okay with 4 chapters of fluff tbh. After all drama only exists to lead to resolution and what lies beyond that should not be more drama.

There are self-explanatory aspects of the raws, to be sure, but mostly we were speculating under the black bars.

Blastaar
Their Story discussion 28 Jun 03:31
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It couldn't be better to be honest

Only if it came out more often.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

... But my point remains in the fact that Touko was not only her love interest but also her best friend so she had no one to talk after the field trip ... Except at the cafe shop! it would've been a nice scene to include at some point, but I guess it was too used in this kind of stories? we will never know~

Oh yeah, that would be a great scene. I just think the timing’s not right for it in the story. It would make a good special, or curtain-call scene, though.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Still weird how Sayaka is acting normal... I just can't buy it you know? wish Nakatani could make a scene with her venting with the teacher's partner in the coffee... Because I just can't believe she's dealing with a breakup alone just like that

Well, besides Sayaka being a preternaturally chill and level-headed person, it wasn’t really a “breakup” as much as a long-shot confession. She knows Touko still cares about her as a friend, too. It’s not like anybody did anybody wrong.

Now, I always made sure my breakups involved something I could get mad about, even if I had to make it up myself.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

What does that even mean? The art style is highly sophisticated and, although unusual, highly professional.

No, you're talking about "fanart". I meant story-wise. I am actually quite fond of the art. Reminds me of cute twitter manhwas.

The further question, as implied by my post, would be: since the art itself does not seem to resemble non-professional drawing, and since this does not seem to be a takeoff on or extension of a preexisting franchise, what exactly about the story, theme, characterization, etc. has whatever features are being associated with "fanfic"?

Well, I suppose the fangirl meeting this super-sexy seductive authoress could kinda be a self-insert scenario that'd be somewhat comparable to what fanfiction likes to do, and since we know so little about the authoress - just those snippets - it could easily be a character from a wider-work where she plays an entirely different role ...

So. But I don't think that's particularly different from many other manga.

Exactly. Thank you. I am not talking about the art, it's just that the whole setup screams AO3 fanfic/ Wattpad lesbian story [ Falling for the Mysterious Beauty (GirlxGirl)...lol]. And not like that's a problem, I just felt like pointing it out. But as I said, maybe that's just me.

Sorry I didn’t make it clear from the start that I do know the difference between fanart and fanfic.

“Not particularly different from many other manga” was my starting point as well.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't think they meant the art style, that's an odd conclusion to make.

Well . . . right.

The further question, as implied by my post, would be: since the art itself does not seem to resemble non-professional drawing, and since this does not seem to be a takeoff on or extension of a preexisting franchise, what exactly about the story, theme, characterization, etc. has whatever features are being associated with "fanfic"?

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 11:37AM

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

My, my who knew Yuu had such a strong bowing arm

She’s always been a sports chick.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This whole manga feels fanfic-ish for some reason. Maybe that's just me.

What does that even mean? The art style is highly sophisticated and, although unusual, highly professional.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ The MCs, me, or both?

Drinks all around.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Somebody’s getting thirsty.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The fact Nene is jealous / envious of Amane's cuteness is pretty well confirmed at this point, I think. What needs explanation is "why" she ended up feeling that way. Generally you want your romantic partner to be as cute and attractive as possible; it's not exactly normal to grow jealous of their attributes. So why and how Amane ended up feeling that way definitely calls for some explanation.

We'll have to wait and see.

I guess I’d put it that the more personal and emotionally intense Nene’s reason for the breakup (whatever it might be), the less her agreement to “stay friends” with Amane makes sense.

If, on the other hand, the breakup is motivated by romantic indifference (as she claims) or by some external factor (one of the lurking villains), then the cruelty of her responses to Amane seems disproportionate.

And, as has been pointed out, that cruelty is at odds with her apparent pleasure with and what looks very much like affection for Amane in the early photo-shoot and beach scenes. Etc.

Again, there are potential explanations for all this, but (assuming it’s not just erratic storytelling, which at this point I do not think it is) the longer it takes for us to get that understanding the more unstable and inconsistent Nene looks as a character.