Forum › Posts by fauce

joined Aug 21, 2017

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kaguharas_fetish_notebook_ch06#16
Jumpscare!

As others have said, this manga is crazy funny and absurd. Somehow, it's just delightfully whimsical, like the author is really having fun with it.

fauce
joined Aug 21, 2017

How hard is it to make up a career choice which you have no intention to go after?

What a piece of scumbag.

You answered your own question. She has late stage scumbagitus, there's no way she will think that far ahead.

joined Aug 21, 2017

I'm liking this manga more than I thought I would. I think the author is really, really good at juxtaposition.
For example, in this chapter, we have:

• The incredible astronaut art vs. Kaguhara's crude drooling face
  • The shounen-style power explanation vs. the absurd reality of gaining power from Kaguhara's fetish
  • Kaguhara's fetishism vs. literally everyone else's thoughts
  • Shitori's seriousness vs. Kaori's self-consciousness
  • Shitori's sportiness vs. Kaguhara's humorousness vs. Kaori's introspection

and so on.
It's like each character is taken from a different manga, but the author plays them off each other so well that we still feel some drama and tension despite being laced with the humor of such a weird premise.

joined Aug 21, 2017

So, is she going to warn them about WWII, The Cold War, and so on, or...?

joined Aug 21, 2017

Wow, we actually got poly. The ending definitely felt kind of rushed, but I think the series was good overall.

joined Aug 21, 2017

I was kind of looking forward to a deeper exploration of Shiina's desperation, but I guess Okada is cool.

joined Aug 21, 2017

No kissing till after marriage? Alright Riri is out. I can't ship that.

But that will make it exciting when she realizes she really, REALLY wants to kiss her... far, far before marriage~

She already wanted Mei to fondle her, which I think usually comes after kissing, so we're about halfway there...

joined Aug 21, 2017

The avocado and soy milk hotpot honestly doesn't sound too bad.

joined Aug 21, 2017

On the plus side, it's easier to see where this is going now.

Somehow, I did not see it going this way... maybe in retrospect it makes more sense.

joined Aug 21, 2017

I think this is one of the most quietly unusual manga I've ever read. Something about Takahashi and Yamashita and how they interact with each other and the rest of the world feels vaguely off-balance in a way that's difficult to put a finger on. Given the title of the series, that might've been what the author was going for. I enjoyed it all the same.

joined Aug 21, 2017

This was one of the first yuri stories I ever read, and it's certainly quite moving to see it arrive at a conclusion. Sometime's a writer I find quite interesting, since there runs through a lot of their work, longer and shorter, an intent to play around with expectations of genre and appearance, not necessarily looking to 'subvert' them (a term that often tends to impose a false homogeneity upon the subject of its presumed overturn), but to texture them with queerness. This is manifested, of course, in their foregrounding of queer characters themselves, but this also extends into a wider illumination of queer readings and themes implicit in the conventions and appeals of a genre- in case of this story, the transforming sentai heroes who become truer and grander versions of themselves (I love how they yell "Trans Up!") in recognition of a common, generally outside threat such as aliens, are 'claimed' by queer characters who use them to protect their status quos, finding a sense of self and a place in the system by recognizing the virtues of humanity and working to protect it.
Sometime is thus able to masterfully deploy and interweave themes of queerness into the series at levels so deep that it goes beyond just being 'tokusatsu with lesbians' and is able instead to breathe into the tropes of the genre an entire micro-epic of queerness, lending it incredible relevance and vitality and letting it become every bit as cathartic, heart-pounding and inspiring as a more traditional sentai series might be to a child nostalgically looking back on the past. Sometimes, then, doesn't merely revive that past, but is able to actively reclaim it, to engage with the exclusionary tropes of a genre that may make queer viewers feel alienated and meaningfully challenge them, even as they also present us with queer heroes and queer optimism, allowing their characters to be more than heroes or villains firing at each other across lines in the sand. The transformations, combinations, costumes and explosions key to the genre are made delightfully camp, bringing to the forefront the implications of fluidity, transitions and fulfillment-in-cohesion that younger or less prudent viewers may have missed, even as those performances necessarily reveal the falseness of an absolute virtue and vice and emphasize instead authenticity in the moment and the interweaving of personal rhythms into a symphony that celebrates individuality, the masquerade that bursts joyously into unity and revelation. All in all, it works delightfully to not only recolor a popular genre in queer hues, but to assertively create within it a space for both subversion and expansion, and is a shining example of what a skillful 'queering' of a traditionally masculinist, cisheteronormative genre can achieve, making it both truer to itself philosophically and capable of socially-relevant reinvention. I loved this series, plan to reread it soon, and am also quite interested in Sometime's current Afterschool Re-Reincarnation, which seems to be aiming for a similarly innovative queer-rebuilding of the DQ-inspired-isekai genre.

I was going to post a meme reply but I think you are quite correct. I didn't realize it while reading the manga, but your argument that the story is deeply related to queerness really resonated (heh) with me, as a lot of what you mentioned about alienation, transformation, utopian normalcy, and so on in the manga align with what I understand about queerness and becoming accepted by yourself and your community, when I thought about it a little. Really great comment.

fauce
Matazoro. discussion 15 Jul 03:47
joined Aug 21, 2017

I've rarely seen school life manga on the topic of repeating a grade, so that already has my attention. On top of that, I think the author has managed to weave ordinarily comedic or grim subjects like poor physical health, poor mental health, and general delinquency into the story without going full slapstick or creating a jarring tone shift (School Zone comes to mind). I find the pacing pretty pleasant too. I'm usually not big on 4koma, but in this case I don't think it really takes away from the manga. I look forward to any future chapters.

fauce
School Zone discussion 14 Jul 03:02
joined Aug 21, 2017

I swear to god if this ends up being one of the series that ends right after they get together I'm gonna shit

sorry what

They're gonna shit.

fauce
joined Aug 21, 2017

This was really sweet. It's also one of the few times I've seen a girl in a manga drawn "bigger" without being outright chubby, which is neat.

fauce
joined Aug 21, 2017

I think this is actually pretty accurate. For example, in the teacup ride chapter, Kibako calls out to Futaki without thinking, so the attention is there. Also, Futaki brought up Sachi's previous insult, so she's more socially conscious than her expression would let on, hence her whisper, which was calculated to fluster Kibako. Finally, Futaki's apathy at Sachi's desire to avoid fixing the ride matches with Futaki's mischievous "LOLOL" at the end, since Futaki does what she wants without a lot of consideration for others.

joined Aug 21, 2017

I know we're kind of teasing the content of this manga a bit, but it does feel nice to read an action manga that's just "beat shit up cool-style" with a little drama thrown in to spice it up.

fauce
joined Aug 21, 2017

->You see that GF i searching an estate
-> You spotted said GF in front of the estate with another girl
-> Somehow you can't make 1+1 and realise it's just the real estate agent and jump to the worst conclusion and nearly break up.

The story is nice but by god she is a bit dumb.

Exactly what I was thinking... but then you gotta remember that Shion has been working late and acting super cagey up to the proposal while giving no acknowledgement to their anniversary. Aoi is probably thinking, "Even if Shion isn't cheating on me, that lady is getting more affection than me. Shion won't even come to bed with me." Which would be pretty gnarly in light of Shion's aforementioned behavior even to somebody who felt more secure about their relationship.

I think if the author had more time or faster pacing this kind of anxiety would feel much more natural, but I think I can see what they were going for.

joined Aug 21, 2017

no, this is heaven

Head in the "clouds", huh?

joined Aug 21, 2017

Wow, I didn't even make the connection that the redhead from ch. 36 was probably time-traveling Elsa. That's a crazy plot development.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Just some nice, lighthearted fun. Besides the cannibalism, of course.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Great news everyone, I've made a Tvtropes page for this series here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/ShoujoMangaProtagonistXRivalSan

Very nice.

joined Aug 21, 2017

girlboss moment: isolating your friend from others so you can monopolize her to satisfy your unrequited feelings

joined Aug 21, 2017

Possibly my favorite part of this manga is that the two lackeys really want to be generic mean sidekicks to the generic mean popular girl, but said popular girl is actually a weirdo. They can't turn the tables and start bullying Hiyama or even stop being her lackeys because she is still at the top of the social hierarchy but they just try their best to be assholes, anyways

Even better, when Hiyama is TOO mean, they try to pull back. Like "Yeah, we're bad!" to "Oh shit, we're not THAT bad." when Hiyama brought out the voodoo doll.

joined Aug 21, 2017

I enjoy how oblivious Hiyama is to bullying, whether it's her own or others'.