Forum › New Game discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

"Highly Sociable" Nene is in fine form today as well.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Jeez, can't think "straight"? Well she sure is straightforward about it at least!

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

I really dont want to bring the discussion down or anything but the recent chapters have honestly kinda cemented this series as true queerbait status to me.

Like more and more in this series I'm seeing a lot of implied gay but no following through ever, just implications because that sells copies and its far worse than I've seen in any series that isnt sound euphonium so its really sticking out to me and starting to affect my enjoyment of the series immensely.

I'd actually argue its worse than sound euphonium because they actually acknowledge these as crushes and/or homosexual attraction but never do anything with it at all, just continue to tease and tease and tease.

While I see your point and I agree with it to a certain extent, I can't deny that I'll still be reading it all the way through 'cause it's lesbians making video gamez, for God's sake. I'd argue, though, that it's better that they acknowledge Rin's and Hifumi's and whoever else's crushes as legitimately legitimate attraction as opposed to Hibike's "SCHOOLGIRL LOVE THEY BOTH GROW OUT OF" or whatever they tried to pass it off as. And since New Game ain't over, at least we can hold on to the hope that something may happen at some point as opposed to Hibike... (I haven't watched it 'cause of the queerbaiting, but I swear I'm actually gonna binge watch the entire thing in a day if KumiRei becomes canon somehow in that new movie that's coming out soon). I mean, that's what we've always said about Supernatural, and it's, what, the 12th season now and nothing fucking happened, so, yeah, nothing's gonna fucking happen here either but one can hope...

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I really dont want to bring the discussion down or anything but the recent chapters have honestly kinda cemented this series as true queerbait status to me.

Like more and more in this series I'm seeing a lot of implied gay but no following through ever, just implications because that sells copies and its far worse than I've seen in any series that isnt sound euphonium so its really sticking out to me and starting to affect my enjoyment of the series immensely.

I'd actually argue its worse than sound euphonium because they actually acknowledge these as crushes and/or homosexual attraction but never do anything with it at all, just continue to tease and tease and tease.

I don't think you understand what queerbaiting is then. Having crushes but never following through is not queerbaiting. You don't call a series that has a boy liking a girl but never actually going out "relationship baiting". Queerbaiting is straight people acting gay to attract a certain demographic. Hibike is queerbaiting, Love Lab is queerbaiting. Yuru Yuri and Maid Dragon are not queerbaiting despite the lesbians never actually getting in a romantic relationship with each other.

Rin is not straight, she's just a gay girl who is having trouble confessing her feelings for her best friend. It's simply part of the story and a frequent source of comedy.

Badass%20yuyuko%20-%20avatar2
joined Dec 4, 2015

Too lazy to read the other comments, so for now I'll just say that reading New Game listening to Lastation theme is really good.

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

I don't think you understand what queerbaiting is then. Having crushes but never following through is not queerbaiting. You don't call a series that has a boy liking a girl but never actually going out "relationship baiting". Queerbaiting is straight people acting gay to attract a certain demographic. Hibike is queerbaiting, Love Lab is queerbaiting. Yuru Yuri and Maid Dragon are not queerbaiting despite the lesbians never actually getting in a romantic relationship with each other.

Rin is not straight, she's just a gay girl who is having trouble confessing her feelings for her best friend. It's simply part of the story and a frequent source of comedy.

Thank you. People use queerbaiting as a complaint for any series that involves lgbt but isn't 100% explicit and its really annoying. Not everything needs to be 100% out in the open.

joined Mar 22, 2017

People seem to complain about same thing over and over for a while now. This community seem to get more serious stuff recently and I sort of lazy to read it.

BTW this chapter I think at least 3 more ship is possible now in NewGame!

joined Jul 26, 2016

Jeez, can't think "straight"? Well she sure is straightforward about it at least!

Rainbows think straighter than Momo? ( ͡¬ ͜ʖ ͡¬)

joined May 23, 2015

Romance isn't even one of the genres for the series. It's all secondary stuff for extra character development.

It's like reading a hot-blooded battle manga and complaining it doesn't have enough comedic gag elements.

joined Mar 22, 2017

Romance isn't even one of the genres for the series. It's all secondary stuff for extra character development.

It's like reading a hot-blooded battle manga and complaining it doesn't have enough comedic gag elements.

Yeah I totally agreed with that.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Aoba is such a sinful senpai, raising all kinds of flags.

joined Mar 22, 2017

Even in seniority she is senpai. But with age she never actually become anyone senpai yet, Poor girl. XD

Hifumi also raising a bunch recently after season 2 aired.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

At some point when your "roommate" and you do "breast massages" in the nude, the answer requiring the fewest assumptions is that the gaydar says the power level is over 9000 is this reference still relevant are you entertained yet

joined May 23, 2015

Yeah I totally agreed with that.

I've noticed a certain segment of users seem to have extremely narrow tastes and loudly complain about anything that doesn't fit those. They seem to only want to read a single genre, with stories that follow a single pattern of plot developments and characters that fit into a single set of archetypes.

Which I guess is fine if people want to read essentially the exact same thing over and over again, but I don't think they really have any place complaining about things which aren't that.

And with that in mind, it's much easier to ignore them.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

This manga isn't a romance and it's not required to have romantic relationships in it, but I see how the treatment of the "subtext" could be frustrating, even if it is ostensibly there for comedic purposes. Definitely some teasing going on IMO no matter how you slice it, even if it's not really queerbait.

Which I guess is fine if people want to read essentially the exact same thing over and over again, but I don't think they really have any place complaining about things which aren't that.

People have complained about unresolved gay subtext for ages now, it doesn't mean they want to read the same story over and over, just that they feel the relationships in the story aren't being treated entirely respectfully (YMMV on the RIn and Kou dynamic).

Divalshfgd_400x400
joined Jan 18, 2017

That Momo girl has some interesting "assets" as it were

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

This manga isn't a romance and it's not required to have romantic relationships in it, but I see how the treatment of the "subtext" could be frustrating, even if it is ostensibly there for comedic purposes. Definitely some teasing going on IMO no matter how you slice it, even if it's not really queerbait.

People have complained about unresolved gay subtext for ages now, it doesn't mean they want to read the same story over and over, just that they feel the relationships in the story aren't being treated entirely respectfully (YMMV on the RIn and Kou dynamic).

Cant really respond to everyone so I'll just respond to this as it better conveys what I was trying to get across.

It's incredibly frustrating being a lesbian and seeing so many queer relationships being just jokes or constantly teased and then never done anything with at all, im not asking for everything to be sakura trick but I would just like for once one of these series to actually have the brass to have it be more than just a crush because otherwise its honestly starting to feel like my sexuality is just being exploited for some quick cash.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Cant really respond to everyone so I'll just respond to this as it better conveys what I was trying to get across.

It's incredibly frustrating being a lesbian and seeing so many queer relationships being just jokes or constantly teased and then never done anything with at all, im not asking for everything to be sakura trick but I would just like for once one of these series to actually have the brass to have it be more than just a crush because otherwise its honestly starting to feel like my sexuality is just being exploited for some quick cash.

So you get mad every time there is a gay crush? That just sounds unreasonable. You say that you don't want everything to be like Sakura Trick but when it isn't you get frustrated? And what other series are you talking about? There are quite a few series that do take the crushes beyond subtext and some that don't, just like how some series keep het crushes just that instead of going beyond with an actual relationship. Hell, most harem garbage doesn't end with an actual relationship between MC and any of the girls.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Also, in many "romance" manga, the actual romance is the end-game, that will only get "real" at the very end of the manga, so everything before that point is just flirting, subtle or not. So yeah, that's not even relevant to the yuri genre, just that most authors seems unable to figure out how to keep their book going after they actually start dating.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

So you get mad every time there is a gay crush? That just sounds unreasonable. You say that you don't want everything to be like Sakura Trick but when it isn't you get frustrated? And what other series are you talking about? There are quite a few series that do take the crushes beyond subtext and some that don't, just like how some series keep het crushes just that instead of going beyond with an actual relationship. Hell, most harem garbage doesn't end with an actual relationship between MC and any of the girls.

You do realise theres a middle ground between kissing every single waking moment and "oh look at this homosexual crush we'll joke about but never actually go through with lol" right?
Also the comparison lacks merit because on the whole you'll generally find that most of the het crushes in manga eventually happen even if its just in the epilogue, homosexual relationships rarely if ever have this luxury, they just remain jokes and shipping fuel forever.

The harem comparison is straight up not applicable because harems exist to self insert the main character into a situation with a ton of guys/girls all vying for them so the audience member can pick their best girl/boy while also not alienating any of the audience that might come from one actually picking a definitive character to pair with, most harem manga literally just exists as a quick way to get popular and most of it is utter trash.

And no I do not get mad at every gay crush that doesnt go anywhere, I get frustrated when it becomes a trend of which it has certainly become, not nearly as bad as the good ol' bury your gays but it is starting to feel exploitive, specially since I just got off talking to my girlfriend about a bunch of kyoani shows and remembering just how many of those bait the living shit out of the audience.

Finally for this series specifically its honestly just boring writing that EVERY relationship in this series can be summed as "gay moments sometimes, never followed up on" ugh this is why K-on is one of the only CGDCT series I can honestly say was actually good and not just enjoyable (till the movie anyway which is something I personally despise)

Also, in many "romance" manga, the actual romance is the end-game, that will only get "real" at the very end of the manga, so everything before that point is just flirting, subtle or not. So yeah, that's not even relevant to the yuri genre, just that most authors seems unable to figure out how to keep their book going after they actually start dating.

And this is what I consider a lack of creative effort on the part of a lot of authors, its why I tend towards manga that do not do this and instead just focus on the relationship now that its happened and how it affects the characters involved.

last edited at Aug 12, 2017 6:58AM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

last edited at Aug 12, 2017 7:13AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

You do realise theres a middle ground between kissing every single waking moment and "oh look at this homosexual crush we'll joke about but never actually go through with lol" right?

Well seeing as how Sakura trick is no sex and no actual relationship between the main two girls other than their daily kisses there isn't much room in between those two.

Also the comparison lacks merit because on the whole you'll generally find that most of the het crushes in manga eventually happen even if its just in the epilogue, homosexual relationships rarely if ever have this luxury, they just remain jokes and shipping fuel forever.

That's just simply not true. A lot of het crushes go completely unrequited. Mathematically most crushes in harem shit goes no where. Gay relationships are no different. Some progress and some don't. You are acting like none of them progress, which is just not true.

The harem comparison is straight up not applicable because harems exist to self insert the main character into a situation with a ton of guys/girls all vying for them so the audience member can pick their best girl/boy while also not alienating any of the audience that might come from one actually picking a definitive character to pair with, most harem manga literally just exists as a quick way to get popular and most of it is utter trash.

So you are saying that harem manga is literally just het baiting? Nothing but tease with no actual end game relationship? How is it not applicable?

And no I do not get mad at every gay crush that doesnt go anywhere, I get frustrated when it becomes a trend of which it has certainly become, not nearly as bad as the good ol' bury your gays but it is starting to feel exploitive, specially since I just got off talking to my girlfriend about a bunch of kyoani shows and remembering just how many of those bait the living shit out of the audience.

Now that just doesn't make sense. If you are mad that gay crushes has become a trend then how you are you not getting mad at every time it happens? Also, you are just wrong in general. Izetta, Flip Flappers and the currently airing Princess Principal are all recent shows that progress beyond just subtextual crushes. It sounds like you want slice of life shows like New Game and GochiUsa to go from sitcom to romcom and that isn't going to happen. They have their genres and they are going to stick to them.

And the whole KyoAni thing is way overblown. What shows have they done that are queerbait except for Hibike?

Finally for this series specifically its honestly just boring writing that EVERY relationship in this series can be summed as "gay moments sometimes, never followed up on" ugh this is why K-on is one of the only CGDCT series I can honestly say was actually good and not just enjoyable (till the movie anyway which is something I personally despise)

Except Kou and Aoba's sempai/kohai relationship that is purely professional. Aoba has a purely professional relationship with almost every character, so your claim that "every" relationship is queerbaiting just seems bizarre. Every character has about 1 gay-heavy relationship with another character while their others are purely friendship/co-workers. And funny that your favorite CGDCT is k-on despite just saying how much Kyoani queerbaits.

joined May 23, 2015

I want to be fair to people, but I've seen people drop series and complain about them for absurdly general reasons, such as the simple existence of male characters or explicitly straight characters or the fact that a series has no romantic element at all. (Not even unresolved subtext; I mean series that have essentially no subtext at all without reading way too deep in to things.)

Which is a bit more than just whining about unresolved subtext. It's demanding that every series be a serious romance containing exclusively homosexual women.

And honestly, after seeing how specific some of the complaints can get, it starts getting difficult to take many of them seriously.

For instance, I recall there being complaints when NG introduced Hana-chan in the spinoff. A male character who you could not make less threatening if you tried. Who was on-screen for all of two pages. Exclusively in the bonus material.

last edited at Aug 12, 2017 2:46PM

joined Mar 22, 2017

Big Fat Thumbs Up! XD

last edited at Aug 12, 2017 10:06PM

joined Jul 22, 2016

Aoba is such a charmer. Is this senpai power? lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.