Forum › Person of Interest Discussion (Warning: Spoilers)

joined Mar 25, 2013

Considering there's only 3 episodes left not much use for this thread but, we've polluted the Yuri in Other Media thread xD

Now, here's my archive of Root/Shaw fics http://www.mediafire.com/download/hq7isya0veav1ov/Fics.rar Also, files that have (ch#) are unfinished fics.

There are around 180 of them. There may be a few that I haven't read (like 2-3%), but otherwise they're more or less cherry picked.

I recommend the hic ibi dracones series (a Harry Potter AU) and 'for you, for you, for you' by phwaa.

Otherwise, http://centaurianthropology.tumblr.com/tagged/review scroll down for the season 4 musings (and for those more familiar with tumblr, if there's a way to show only those reviews, tell me so I can edit the link) and general predictions that were very accurate.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Person_of_Interest - firearms database for the series, though I don't know if it's up-to-date.

And finally a link to Root/Shaw fanfiction http://archiveofourown.org/tags/Root%20%7C%20Samantha%20Groves*s*Sameen%20Shaw/works

I will edit more pertinent information as it's provided (by people here, or when I find something interesting to add)

Discuss away (even if there's nothing much to discuss xD)

last edited at Jun 6, 2016 4:26PM

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

The Black Barpocalypse has been averted! Anyways, Ep 10 was intense. I thought for sure that Harry was gonna die, and then unleash the Machine with his dying breath. Then Root got shot in the car and it all clicked, the Machine choosing a voice, everything Root said to Shaw and Harold about simulations, that the machine knew them better than they did and that everyone dead wasn't actually gone. So in a sense, Root's dead but not gone. Still sucks though.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I also thought initially that he was gonna die, but when Root mentioned that she left a backdoor only for him, after that, it was obvious that he wasn't gonna die, until the end episode probably. I thought that Root was dead for sure when the police stopped them, and breathed a sigh of relief when it was reported that she was in critical condition, but the moment the phone rang and Root's voice came through. Well that was that.

But man, I really want to see a no-rules Finch xD We didn't get much of a reaction from Shaw, but it's likely to be when Carter died. Showing no emotion and then going off on people xD The next three episodes are gonna be good. I only hoped for one more episode with them together though. It was plenty clear that one of them was gonna die.

Also Elias. I really liked him.

So, any predictions on who is gonna be alive at the end? xD

I think Shaw and Fusco will be alive (as well as Bear).

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 12:17PM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I sense some badassery coming... greater than we've ever seen in this show. And that's not an easy task.

It's hard to predict who will live because they all have potential to have heroic death... I want to say only Fusco alive at the end. (And Bear too of course)

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 1:41PM

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

This episode put me in a very philosophical mood, and a crazy idea came to me while I was thinking about who would die and such. In short, they all die, but they 'live' on as simulations inside the Machine, like the Matrix, only without the whole using humans as batteries part. This way everyone dies and we get a happy ending, kinda. That said, I don't think this is what will actually happen though.

joined Mar 25, 2013

This episode put me in a very philosophical mood, and a crazy idea came to me while I was thinking about who would die and such. In short, they all die, but they 'live' on as simulations inside the Machine, like the Matrix, only without the whole using humans as batteries part. This way everyone dies and we get a happy ending, kinda. That said, I don't think this is what will actually happen though.

The thing about that though is that the writers/producers said they left it kind of open ended but with a firm ending about this particular 'arc' as it is. So there's gotta be one or two survivors. Granted, they could twist it around for them all to be dead, and could get away with it now that the Machine chose Root's voice.

Either way, I don't think they'll 'live' on as simulations, Root more or less said (or at least I took it that way) that they are in a simulation because the Machine knows them so well, and the implication was that much like a person who lives on in the memories of people close to them, they are kind of eternal in the memory of the Machine.

I really wanted for the last two episode to be a two hour special but noooo, they decided that now they're gonna stick to a normal episode-per-week calendar xD Which is kinda funny considering only the first episode aired on it's own, the rest only a day apart (and two were back-to-back)

Knightingale
joined Mar 13, 2016

I actually also think that this will be all about Team Machine dying and living on in The Machine. Remember the beginning of this season where we heard the people of Team Machine talk about their achievements?

Also, I think this will be what will enable the Machine to beat Samaritan: It will take on a human perspective instead of the perspective of an super-AI. In the recent episode Root mentioned how Finch had never treated the Machine like a human being (the Machine has no name, no voice etc.). And what, I guess, Root was trying to get at with her whole talk about giving the Machine more power was about giving her a chance to become more of an individual. In addition to that, Samaritan's perspective is all about how humanity sucks. Maybe the Machine will be in contrast to that about the hopeful potential of humanity to do good.

It's sad to see Root die... But (this is me, I guess, just basically writing fanfic) since it's been established how good VR is in this world and with Root making the argument that essentially everything is a simulation in some way or other and Root talking about how she will be preserved through the Machine... Shaw could still "technically" go on dates with Root in a virtual simulation, right? RIGHT?!

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

Well however it ends, we gotta wait three more weeks for it to finish. It's gonna be worse than watching "Hibike! Euphonium." Though I wonder how an open ending would look, obviously Samaritan will be defeated, but beyond that I can't really think of anything. If it ends like I said, I do know what I would want the second series to be about if it ever got made (Though I'd be just as happy to leave it as is), or it'd be an awesome idea for a fanfic.

They do a timeskip, cyborg technology is safe for use but maybe not widespread. The Machine notices a new threat, cyborg related or not, and creates bodies for the team, downloads a perfect simulation/copy with all their memories into them and have them save the world again.

I will be very surprised if it does happen though.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Actually a form of living, yes. Forgot about the simulations Shaw went through. I guess it all depends on whether or not everyone will die.

They wouldn't go on dates though, 'missions' yes. The missions would be basically dates for Shaw anyway xD There was a one-shot Valentine's Day fic in the archive I posted that Root does just that. Buys her guns (instead of flowers), gets her a fast car, and watches her devour a really good stake and that's that xD.

I will be very surprised if it does happen though.

Don't know how it would be, but I think I've seen the writers/producers kind of hope for Netflix to pick it up. Though, for me personally, I wouldn't want that. They would include too much graphic sex for the series, and that's not the series at all.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 5:08PM

Knightingale
joined Mar 13, 2016

Worse than "Hibike! Euphonium"? Have you seen the OVA? I mean, I ship Kumiko and Reina, too... of course. The way they were written in the anime, it's only natural. But I thought the way that series treated its more serious relationships was kinda confusing. The supposed blooming of a romance between that dude and Kumiko was as poorly developed as that so-called "romance" between Reese and Carter in POI. And the relationship between Kumiko and Reina is like if Shaw and Root had continuously flirted with each other but the series would have treated it like they're just REALLY good friends.

Hibike! Euphonium is a series I really do not like...

I'd be happy if the series were to end with this season. If there were more seasons, it would be great - but at least the writers could approach this whole season with a series-finale in mind. Things could be worse.

@telamon: Naturally, their date would be some sort of action-packed mission where they can kick ass :D .

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

Worse than "Hibike! Euphonium"? Have you seen the OVA? I mean, I ship Kumiko and Reina, too... of course. The way they were written in the anime, it's only natural. But I thought the way that series treated its more serious relationships was kinda confusing. The supposed blooming of a romance between that dude and Kumiko was as poorly developed as that so-called "romance" between Reese and Carter in POI. And the relationship between Kumiko and Reina is like if Shaw and Root had continuously flirted with each other but the series would have treated it like they're just REALLY good friends.

When I said worse, I wasn't talking about the show itself, I meant the wait between episodes. Like, I don't get emotionally attached all that often to characters and relationships in shows, but when I do, I do it hard. Ever since the mountaintop scene, I was pretty much a wound up ball of anxiety for the rest of the show. And I will probably be that, and more for these last three episodes since I just love PoI so much. I actually teared up during that flashback scene where Harold implemented the nightly memory wipe of the machine. And I rarely cry when it comes to fiction.

Ninja Edit: I haven't actually watched the OVA of Hibike! Euphonium.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 5:41PM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

What ?! They tried a romance between Reese and Carter ? When was that, I didn't even noticed... Or I don't remember ?

Wow memory is awesome, make me totally forget the bad things x)

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 5:52PM

Knightingale
joined Mar 13, 2016

I'm sorry, bob2alien, for ranting about that. The OVA makes the series seem so dumb. Remember that friend of Kumiko who was in love with the guy but got shot down by the guy pretty much immediately after the confession? In the OVA there's a scene where that girl talks to that other bubbly friend and she's like "Oh man, it seems like that guy's already in a relationship with Kumiko... I shouldn't interfere...". But the bubbly girl's like "No, go for it! You have to be honest about your feelings no matter what!". Talk about dramatic irony... And then it all ends with her telling the guy "Man up, dude! Kumiko's waiting for you...". And then it leads to the fist-bumping-scene. You're left to wonder: Was Kumiko really just waiting for the dude to be more honest about his feelings? Who knows...

Yeah, third season... Reese kinda suddenly had a thing for Carter - only in time for her to die. And remember, there was this whole thing of Reese disappearing and Fusco had to bring him back... Not the greatest moment of the show.

79769fb62fb8crop
joined Dec 7, 2014

What ?! They tried a romance between Reese and Carter ? When was that, I didn't even noticed... Or I don't remember ?

Wow memory is awesome, make me totally forget the bad things x)

Sort of. They actually kissed when they were hiding in the morgue. Their kiss was unscripted though. Reese's actor just felt that it was appropriate for the scene. I personally never saw any romantic subtext between Reese and Carter prior to the kiss, but other people did.

joined Mar 25, 2013

I'd be happy if the series were to end with this season. If there were more seasons, it would be great - but at least the writers could approach this whole season with a series-finale in mind. Things could be worse.

This is the last season. The show was canceled, and they kind of knew it from before they fourth season finished I believe. Kind of the same as 'The Mentalist' they were given a last season. So yes, this is the last season.

@trafi, they didn't really try a romance and more they kissed in the episode where Carter dies. I took it as more a promise for something in the future. Makes more sense that way, instead of the declarations of love that were made in that episode more or less.

And remember, there was this whole thing of Reese disappearing and Fusco had to bring him back... Not the greatest moment of the show.

It's natural to grieve. I don't see anything wrong with that.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 6:08PM

Knightingale
joined Mar 13, 2016

The kiss being unscripted makes sense. It was unexpected (at least to me). And when Reese briefly left Team Machine it seemed like it happened because Carter wasn't just an important member of Team Machine but was also someone he loved. The series committed to this idea of Reese actually having loved Carter. So, depending on whether you've bought into the idea of Reese being romantically interested in Carter, this certain character-arc was either tragic or just frustrating.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 6:23PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

I don't know, I saw it as natural. It was the first serious loss since Jessica he had, regardless of whether it was romantic or not, but the loss of a dear friend. And he also blamed the Machine a bit for it as well, for not giving the number as swiftly as it generally does. Cause one could argue that the phone ringing just when Simmons is about to kill her is a little odd. Then again, if he was somewhere where the Machine couldn't see him I can slightly understand, but then again, it works on prediction, so really, the phone call just before Carter gets shot is a little dubious to me.

Knightingale
joined Mar 13, 2016

Well, it kinda underlines the "unscripted"-part, doesn't it? The romantic subtext didn't need to be there for that story-arc to work but since it got added to the mix...

What you're saying, telamon, makes sense. For me, I got all that but the whole romance-subtext didn't feel right to me. And so when the series tried to communicate why Reese was so distraught, the sense of "falseness" surrounding the romance was distracting.

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

@Knightingale No harm done, I always enjoy a nice rant now and then.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Well, it kinda underlines the "unscripted"-part, doesn't it? The romantic subtext didn't need to be there for that story-arc to work but since it got added to the mix...

What you're saying, telamon, makes sense. For me, I got all that but the whole romance-subtext didn't feel right to me. And so when the series tried to communicate why Reese was so distraught, the sense of "falseness" surrounding the romance was distracting.

Oh no, it left me gaping when it happened as well. I had to re-watch the series a few times for me to come to that conclusion. I guess I got used to that. But as I said, I don't see it as something of a romantic nature as more of a promise that it could develop into a romance and just putting it out there in case they die in the morgue.

joined Mar 25, 2013

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

wtf best thread ever pls op you are fucking beautiful

joined Mar 25, 2013

No need for sarcasm @machigai

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

I never watched the actual show but I was kind of interested and I heard of the news that yet another one took the bullet, literally. Is this a joke?

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

No need for sarcasm @machigai

no i am not being sarcastic ;_; i have a huge boner for amy acker

To reply you must either login or sign up.