Forum › Kodama Naoko discussion

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

No topic yet? Shame.
Really like the art and drama

joined May 18, 2016

I really like your stories i always though of searching it since i read your manga could you please do more i want to read more

joined May 10, 2017

Worst yuri author to ever exist, she should be the one with cancer.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

1) Seriously, get a sense of scale. She's an author whose work you personally don't like.

2) This is a shitty thing to say.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

1) Seriously, get a sense of scale. She's an author whose work you personally don't like.

2) This is a shitty thing to say.

I bet they're that mad because Kodama Naoko refused one too many contracts

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

It's amazing how this author produces so much stuff that I like and so much stuff that I hate. They have two of the most graphic and unpleasant stories containing rape, and three absolutely amazing other books. Maybe it's just that the author is really good but I can't stand the heaviest stuff

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I really like almost all of her works. In the afterwords of several of her manga, Kodama Naoko says she loves writing stories of twisted relationships in a very melodramatic style. And her self-description seems to be accurate, since even her most "normal" works, like Renai Manga, still wallow in character drama, and tend to present love as a situation of complete and utter dependency. The characters are somehow always enslaved by their love - it's never just fondness or admiration, it's always some kind of obsession. Characters rarely think things through and make decisions, they always impulsively react to their overpowering emotion. If they do think things through, the solutions they come up with are often manipulative, underhanded, and in complete disregard of their partner's feelings.

Netsuzou Trap epitomizes this style, and takes things a bit far for my taste, since so much about it is just so trashy (especially the way every chapter ends in a cliff-hanger, which is always resolved or walked-back immediately in the next chapter, which then also ends in a cliff-hanger. Some of the sudden reveals were even recycled from chapter to chapter several times). But it was still enjoyable, in its trashy way.

joined Feb 28, 2017

Your art is amazing and topics are always on the edge. You do cool shit.

Sans%20titre
joined Jul 12, 2015

Best Author of Yuri Drama I ever seen
Thanks Kodama <3

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

The worst Yuri author that I've ever seen in my life, hell, how much ideas for do a good manga and ALWAYS had to make a manga with: Milf and bisexual stuff (I'm sick of that stories hell) I WANT A MANGA LIKE I WANT TO SHUT MY PARENTS!!!! THAT WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT I LOVE!!!

Sans%20titre
joined Jul 12, 2015

These works represent all the circumscriptions of reality, that is bad ?
The perfect yuri are boring. Her Dramas are good and different from the others.

last edited at Feb 3, 2019 2:57PM

1a%20berserk%20jill
joined Aug 5, 2014

These works represent all the circumscriptions of reality, that is bad ?
The perfect yuri are boring. Her Dramas are good and different from the others.

Most the stories and characters that she writes are actually similar and she admitted that it was what she likes. Unless you want to prove me that the things that happened in her mangas are very commons IRL.
As for the second parts of your comment, it's just your opinion.

005ejqrjgy1fzoq9y1j6fj319c1sw7sj-
joined Jul 6, 2018

I actually like her drawing style. If you hate her works because of how twisted and different they are, just ignore this author and read yagakimi instead.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Why do I relate with both the "she's a great mangaka" and "she's the worst mangaka" commenters? XD

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Why do I relate with both the "she's a great mangaka" and "she's the worst mangaka" commenters? XD

Anyone who can say, "I really like writing trashy characters, but my publisher puts a limit on how trashy they can get, so I made this doujin to show off a truly trashy character. But she ended up being less trashy than I wanted. Oh well," is someone who I don't think would mind being called "the worst mangaka ever". Who knows, maybe that's even her goal.

joined Apr 23, 2019

She should publish those secret sex scenes.
I'm telling, because she always develops the story until the hottest point, and the next pic is always what happens after, but almost never during "the act". You should know what I mean...

last edited at Jul 24, 2019 9:26AM

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

There's a sort of 'darkness' in the stories she created which I personally like. She's created characters that are naughty and villainous to the point you ask 'does this happen in real life', 'do they really exist?' But in the realm of literature in general such characters exist. Frankly, I'd rather have that than spice-less almost PC stories (not just in Mangas but in other medium of literature).
Not the best mangaka, but she's not the worst either in my opinion.
Granted, I haven't come across so many Mangakas to actually gauge how 'worse' they are.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Resorting to melodrama and edgy character traits to "spice things up" is a sign of bad writing generally speaking. It means the author has either no interest or not the ability to let their characters and plot carry the story.

The interesting thing about Kodama is that she can indeed do both. She has a near bipolar attitude to writing. It's either a lot of cute fluff with some interesting commentary or good comedy... or it's a trashfire like NTR. No inbetween.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Logged in just to defend Kodama, the Lesbian Manga Jesus lol

Kodama is authentic, unlike most authors out there. You know what to expect with her, and it's definitely not PC. Again unlike most authors she shows that her characters experience love with mixed feelings, like self-hate, jealousy, envy, selfishness etc. Which is, in fact, a very realistic take on how most of us experience love and being loved, even if (hopefully) not to the same degree present in her stories.

As for NTR, I'm not sure what all the hate is. I can only imagine a lot of readers in this forum are male and got triggered by a guy being "cheated on". Which by the way, the situation of 2 people fighting for the same girl and one of them using underhanded tactics to get her is so common lol Yuma's reaction of extreme obliviousness combined with acting on her feelings without realizing what it means, again, one of the very common forms of coming out. Just because it's played up for the drama, doesn't mean it's not one of the most realistic stories out there in terms of the theme and how it's handled.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Matsuri_wins, the term “PC” and the projection about readers who dislike NTR are both cheap shots. You’re smart enough to make your points without that kind of trash criticism.

I didn’t like NTR because all the characters seemed like idiotic assholes, except the one guy who just an idiot.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Logged in just to defend Kodama, the Lesbian Manga Jesus lol

Kodama is authentic, unlike most authors out there. You know what to expect with her, and it's definitely not PC. Again unlike most authors she shows that her characters experience love with mixed feelings, like self-hate, jealousy, envy, selfishness etc. Which is, in fact, a very realistic take on how most of us experience love and being loved, even if (hopefully) not to the same degree present in her stories.

As for NTR, I'm not sure what all the hate is. I can only imagine a lot of readers in this forum are male and got triggered by a guy being "cheated on". Which by the way, the situation of 2 people fighting for the same girl and one of them using underhanded tactics to get her is so common lol Yuma's reaction of extreme obliviousness combined with acting on her feelings without realizing what it means, again, one of the very common forms of coming out. Just because it's played up for the drama, doesn't mean it's not one of the most realistic stories out there in terms of the theme and how it's handled.

I think most people disliked NTR because it's just really trashy. There's a big cliff-hanger at the end of every chapter (which never actually develops into anything), the whole narrative is structured around a bunch of "shocking" reveals emphasized by really big pictures of anguished faces, and none of the characters really act like normal human beings. They all seem to have some really extreme personality disorders. And they're just so dumb. People can be surprisingly blind about people they're close to, but nobody is this fucking stupid.

Those are exactly the reasons I like it (it feels very forthright in its trashiness, it's kind of charming), but I can see why other people don't. It doesn't have anything to do with "PC" or being triggered by a male getting cheated on. There's fucktons of yuri about men getting cheated on, any everyone loves that shit. The unfulfilled housewife or unassuming young woman being tempted away from her under-appreciative lover by an open, alluring lesbian is its own subgenre, with a very long history.

NTR is "realistic" in the sense that, yes, in the real world sometimes people are unfaithful. Relationships can be really messy and cause a lot of emotional anguish. But I don't think NTR is at all a realistic portrayal of how human beings end up in those situations or how we think and feel about them. It just seems like a fairly poor example of fiction about cheating. Both cheating and being cheated on are written basically as fetishes, rather than real problems that people face. When I think of realistic manga about cheating, stuff like https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/roche_limit comes to mind.

last edited at Jul 24, 2019 10:32PM

10455963_830638436992044_5645511050433336598_n
joined Jun 27, 2019

Now I'm getting curious. Maybe I should start reading some of her works then.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

@Matsuri_wins

It's enough for me to read the first sentence in order to give a reply (even though I went to the trouble of reading the paragraph after it, but this comment is only about the first sentence of your comment):

press X to doubt

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Kodama is authentic, unlike most authors out there. You know what to expect with her

This is blatantly wrong. As I mentioned above, she has two very different approaches and when you start a story of hers you will never know which way the coin lands.

As for NTR, I'm not sure what all the hate is.

First of all, this is a yuri forum and as hypocritical as it is, most readers here actually quite enjoy when a woman takes another woman from her male lover. It's a whole genre. Well most of my points were already mentioned, but I just wanted to repeat that lol

NTR has dozens of glaring issues outside of "triggering" people. It's pacing is bottom of the barrel, especially in the last third. I have rarely seen a case of "This could have been resolved 10 chapters ago, but we meander for no reason" this bad. If it was stretched any thinner one might think it was secretly a commentary on how the industry forces mangaka to elongate their manga unreasonably... except I cant imagine anyone thought NTR would need to be longer.

The only semi-likeable character was the guy who was cheated on of all people. Which is kind of the point of the NTR genre... I suppose. But this story tried to be "realistic" as you said and instead made everything feel like fetish bait. But unless you are making a pretentious statement about the shittiness of the world at large, common sense is to make at least some of your characters likeable or at least relatable. Neither of which NTR achieves. Hotaru's reasoning for causing this entire conflict is beyond stupid. And not the endearing kind.

Oh and the ending was the most half-assed thing about it. Honestly the hook was the only decent thing about it.

In summary: NTR represents all of Kodama's weakest traits as a writer and deserves the hate. But where other authors would be doomed by that, she has at least some good works to fall back on.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

There are tons of boring mangas out there. Yet this is the trash? Trashy characters is different than trash manga. It's like reading for example Dexter, then saying the book was bad because the guy was a serial killer. That's exactly the point of the story. To showcast characters like that. It is not supposed to be a happy cUtE story.
Hotaru is not a good person. But it's interesting to explore things from someone's like that perspective. Why she ended up with that abusive guy, and how are her feelings connected to Yuma?
I also disagree that Yuma was a bad person. She was naive, but she wasn't unlikeable (to me). The only unredeemable character imo was Fujiwara.
The ending was a bit rushed, but I'm not saying this is a perfect story.
I personally like Kodama for this exact reason. I also liked her Cocytus story.

last edited at Jul 25, 2019 7:50AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.