Forum › Nini (Novel) discussion

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

An interesting read. A tad anticlimactic by the end i guess.

joined Oct 10, 2016

... I don't understand a single thing.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

This is, interesting. And old, so old. This was the first LN posted on here. That's some history.

I couldn't help comparing it to Adachi and Shimamura, but besides the really weird thoughts and dialogue and lesbians, there's not much that's similar. Or MC is bi, whatever the label. The part with Natsuko and being Indian in the past life and eating curry every day was wtf. No idea what that had to do with anything.

But so I guess main plot is Nini dated/liked girls in middle school, which she seems pretty open about; Ayumi becomes interested in her because of her personality and because a quadruple-timing guy Ayumi dated for half a year said she resembled Nini (which he apparently said to all 13 at min. people that he's dated? Wtf is up with that too); they go on a date where they seem to both be crushing on each other; Natsuko gets creepy with harassing Ayumi for info on their hangout/date; and finally it appears Nini was missing for days because something relationship-related.

The last two points are the most confusing. One interpretation of why Natsuko shows up so much is because Nini actually liked Natsuko and confessed to her on saturday, since Natsuko says "the day before last" (which would be a saturday since she says that on a monday) a girl confessed to her. But that doesn't really make sense because Ayumi and Nini had their date that day and they talked at night. Ayumi also asks her for what happened on sunday. Plus I doubt Natsuko would be so calm if Nini had tried to ask her out, and she very flippantly mentions how she's not a lesbian.

Interpretation #2: Nini has a crush on Ayumi, and while saturday was great, on sunday the gaynst hits her and she's depressed about liking somebody she believes is straight. When Ayumi says she's willing to cut her nails and listen, it would then be to signal that she likes Nini back and that she's ready to hear a confession. All things considered this makes the most sense though it took time to logically work out.

Interpretation #3: If Ayumi relating how Nini was acting to her breaking up with the guy was to be taken more literally, then perhaps Nini was in a relationship with someone and had just broken up with them, while having begun to develop feelings for Ayumi. So again Ayumi saying the nails thing indicates she likes Nini, and the listening is just willing to listen to whatever because of that care.

Honestly, they're presented in such a bizarre way, and their conversations make no sense except with the most surreal lens possible. When it's broken down to something more manageable though, seems like a typical story of falling in love. The ending could have been much stronger. It only adds to the confusion when the main text has already done a great job of being hard to decipher. But well, an interesting presentation overall.

Edit: Actually I don't know which of the interpretations is more accurate anymore. Rereading the bottom of page 181, I think Nini is the one who points out Natsuko and is expressing admiration for her, which makes interpretation #1 more plausible. And then maybe Natsuko would have found out about their date because Nini mentioned it during the confession or something. That last part is what makes no sense and what I don't get. Why the hell is Natsuko even in this story?

I also had some other realizations while rereading. It's sort of weird that the short nails seems to be the glaringly in-your-face sign of lesbianism in this story, when that's related to sexual acts? Is that an intended implication? And leave it to a story like this to casually mention a 15/16 year old Japanese high schooler has a Dolby Surround Sound System. XD Like what. What is with that detail.

I don't get the composition of this story at all. Its absurdity removes any emotional impact. And yet that's also what makes it so fascinating.

last edited at May 20, 2020 6:01AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.