Forum › Subtext discussion

joined Jan 5, 2016

I can't get what the subtext tag about. Can anybody tell me?

joined Oct 17, 2014

For the purposes of Dynasty-Scans, subtext refers to works where characters are close enough to each other and act in a way that they could be in love with each other, but no defining event happens that outright confirms it. The Love Live anime and a lot of animes where the main cast is made up of females that have no male love interests are a good example.

joined Dec 18, 2014

NO DONT LOOK AT ME!!

last edited at May 8, 2016 7:02PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Haha nice one xD

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

@deemar what title is that?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What do we want?

SUBTEXT!

When do we want it?

WELL, WE DIDN'T ACTUALLY COME OUT AND SAY WE WANTED IT

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

adyatma16 posted:

It is page from Citrus if I'm not mistaken. Dialog of course is changed.

joined Dec 18, 2014

adyatma16 posted:

Yes. Found it on Reddit.

Untitled%20(1)
joined Aug 24, 2016

NO DONT LOOK AT ME!!

well said my friend

last edited at Apr 12, 2017 10:57PM by Nezchan

Untitled%20(1)
joined Aug 24, 2016

NO DONT LOOK AT ME!!

Hallelujah!!! Amen!!!!!!!

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

adyatma16 posted:

Specifically changed to a quote from a Demolition D video https://youtu.be/dLoRO87lu_8

joined Jul 21, 2016

Because Dynasty Scans isn't quite as populated as other manga sites, I can't help but wonder how many other subtext series are out there? I know of a few not uploaded here that fall under that category.... Does anyone have a link that could point me in the right direction?

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

If you're looking for me
you better look under the text
because that is where you'll find me
suuuuuubtext
underneath the text
suuuuuuubtext
at the bottom of the text.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

joined Dec 30, 2018

I wish subtext wouldn't exist and authors were FORCED to make only yuri content
That would be pretty epic i think

last edited at Sep 21, 2020 1:44PM

Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

For the purposes of Dynasty-Scans, subtext refers to works where characters are close enough to each other and act in a way that they could be in love with each other, but no defining event happens that outright confirms it. The Love Live anime and a lot of animes where the main cast is made up of females that have no male love interests are a good example.

To be fair to LoveLive, the creator is literally the mangaka of Strawberry Panic, the Famous Classic Yuri Manga, so the Subtext is there, probably habitually or just as a teaser from a Yuri Author (not to mention how Eli and Nozomi even have a canon song where they’re literally singing ab getting married and making love)

bloodonthewater
Bigj
joined Jul 7, 2021

AKA "It's fucking nothing!"

Vietcong Soldier
Monkey-smin
joined Aug 6, 2020

More like gateway yuri

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Yuri without the romance tag is diet yuri! Subtext is just masochism

I think the weird thing about this tag is that discussions about what series should be tagged with yuri vs subtext are debating subtext vs romance, not subtext vs yuri. Why are the tags considered mutually exclusive? Seems more like a 4chan way of viewing the genre

last edited at Mar 27, 2023 12:42PM

Ichimatsu_kohina_11153
joined Jul 25, 2014

I think the weird thing about this tag is that discussions about what series should be tagged with yuri vs subtext are debating subtext vs romance, not subtext vs yuri. Why are the tags considered mutually exclusive? Seems more like a 4chan way of viewing the genre

I haven't seen the conversations, but I assume it would be because whether or not there is yuri is generally pretty clear.
On the other hand, it's possible for a budding slow paced romance to look like it's merely subtext at first glance. Especially if it's in a genre that have a habit of featuring subtext, like the oh so prevalent school girl slice of life.

To reply you must either login or sign up.