Forum › Sequel discussion

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Hmm. What to do with this tag...

It's a useful tag for the time being, as it helps people know that there's something they should read before it, so they don't get spoiled. It's good for releases that aren't actual series.

Having said that though, if something is part of a anthology or similar, I'm not sure it's necessary to tag it. Take this for example, http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/acoustic_blue_hour which is a sequel to http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/flaxen_twilight . But they're both part of the anthology Flower Bouquet and Prismm so should it be tagged sequel? I wouldn't think so, but it's hard to say.

Not sure what to do with this tag in general.

last edited at Oct 14, 2015 8:58PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Wouldn't putting the releases in a new grouping be easier/better?

last edited at Oct 14, 2015 9:05PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I personally think there's no need if they're in the same volume. Your example isn't necessarily great, because they weren't made into a volume on the site until well after they were originally uploaded, so a sequel tag would have been useful then. Now, not really necessary since they're "packaged" together.

A better question is, how to clearly mark where the first part of the story is located when you can't put that in the first comment.

joined Mar 25, 2013

If there are a lot of stories in an anthology though, how would we be able to find the connected chapters?

Is it possible to add a button alongside the 'resize' and 'fullscreen' that says 'prequel/sequel' depending on which it is?

last edited at Oct 14, 2015 9:28PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Is it possible to add a button alongside the 'resize' and 'fullscreen' that says 'prequel/sequel' depending on which it is?

Currently there aren't additions like this being made. The tag is all we have to work with.

For the sake of completion, I'd say adding a Prequel tag and tagging everything appropriately is best (eh). Or simply adding new groupings for every two-part story (eh). Consider that many read directly through the Magazine link, which means the "Next Chapter" button would bring them to the next story there, and they may never even know of a possible sequel.

Which brings me to another point, and that is, many anthologies will space out the sequel to a chapter to fall at the end of the volume, regardless of where the original chapter lies. Thus again, the "Next Chapter" button wouldn't bring a reader to the sequel. To make this even more bothersome, Nezchan (unintentional, but credit due) made an additional point that volumes are sometimes added "as necessary," or a chapter entry is created without any knowledge that it will be placed into a volume later. Should those chapters then have the tag removed? Conditional rules add needless complexity.

Of course in a perfect world the system for handling two-part stories would be completely different. But as we are now, these are my feelings.

(Please pardon my sloppy paragraphs)

last edited at Oct 14, 2015 10:00PM

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

My assumption was the tag would only be used when it wasn't otherwise obvious the release was continuing the story from another one.

drpepperfan:
Take this for example, http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/acoustic_blue_hour

I tagged this based on Pekoe's suggestion in a prior thread. When stories appear in the same volume (especially consecutively) I don't think the tag is really necessary, though I also don't think it would hurt in any way.

joined Mar 25, 2013

If a button is not possible, then probably a little space after the title and the tags which could say 'prequel to/sequel to' and then a link to it? It would only add text and not any new buttons. Or that could be after the title and author at the top, so as an example with what @drpepperfan gave it would be "Flaxen Twilight by Vivit Gray; Prequel to Acoustic Blue Hour"
Or "Flaxen Twilight by Vivit Gray; Sequel Acoustic Blue Hour"

Would that work?

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

I'm still not sure how this tag is supposed to work. I can see Sequel tag suggestions for a number of chapters in Couleur de bijoux d'amour, but probably about that tank is sequels. The problem is that some chapters are linked by Yui's presence, but then Helter Skelter, which has nothing to with Yui but is a sequel to Up and Down. Does it even make sense to use this tag in a tank like this?

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

The argument for using it within tankoubons would be that if you reach an individual story through any other route, there's nothing to indicate that you're about to spoil yourself. And even having read it, you may never suspect that you missed part of the story.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

The argument for using it within tankoubons would be that if you reach an individual story through any other route, there's nothing to indicate that you're about to spoil yourself. And even having read it, you may never suspect that you missed part of the story.

That makes sense—though obviously it would still be better if we had a way to link stories together more explicitly. It does suggest that the first work in the route shouldn't be tagged Prequel, though...

last edited at Nov 7, 2015 10:26PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.