Forum › Any thoughts on Steven Universe?

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

So I was suggested by a couple friends to watch it and honestly I was skeptical at first but boy was I WRONG. This show is amazing!! I think you guys should give it a try if you haven't yet. It would be awesome to get some some fan pics too in Dynasty scans. I am actually proud of cartoon network, hell I can see how much they are flourishing.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

CN is the 4chan of tv. 030

Never watched it, whats it about?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's about 20 minutes, yuk yuk.

Also: space lesbians.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

No thoughts at all because I have no legal ways of acessing it

joined Jan 30, 2013

The show is about this kid named Steven Universe (hence the shows name). Long story short Steven's mom is a gem who fell in love with a human. But because she was a Gem she had to give her form up to be able to give birth to steven. Steven grew up with three other gems Pearl, Amethyst and Garnet (who were life time friends to steven mom and companions). The three of them raised Steven alongside his dad who I believe had some part in raising him but he wasn't as involved till some later eps. From the explanation you would think "oh it sounds like the typical cartoon..."
Actually this show is far from being typical. NOW I will go into some spoilers so be warned to not read ahead unless you really dont care and still want to know.
Before going into details let me tell you that even though this show is about Steven youll be surprise that it really isnt JUST about him. This show treats every character (of the main cast) as equally as important as steven (there is no "is all about the main character look how cool he is blah blah").
THE relationship between every single one of the characters is amazing. AND GET THIS believe it or not there is character development, characters that feel so real that sometimes I forget that I am watching a cartoon network show, it actually makes me think that I am watching an anime hahahaha (I bet your wondering "weeeeeellll ok why post it on Dynasty scans...") Well Ill tell you why lol
Well other than the fact that the Gems have no genders BUT they seem to take preference in taking the female human form. There are gems in relationships lol yup "female relationships". Garnet being one of them and Pearl loves Stevens mom. LIKE LOVE LOVE. And they don't just (passively try to hint it, or pass it by) NO they actually specify and say it lol. This show is the first show other than "some of advanture time" show gay relationships this open!!. LIKE legit for real even their fusing is so suggestive!! Now in the earlier ep you get to see a lot of slice of life with comedy but seriously ANOTHER thing I love about this show is how plot heavy it is!!! for real and it will make you CRY!! at 21 and this shit made me cry!! Everything about this show is just like I dont even know how to describe it lmao. I went in literally like this "aaaaaaaaagh ok lets see the new shit show." and after that second season episodes I was left like "my god I...I...wha?...wow...what the hell JUST HAPPENED!!!!??" seriously I'm hooked and I am not ashamed of it lol

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I've only seen the first three or four stories, but doesn't Steven have some nonbinary gender moments himself?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I will just leave this here http://i.imgur.com/iYCj55W.jpg I haven't watched the show but I want to .... One of theeeeese daaaaaays~

joined Jan 30, 2013

I've only seen the first three or four stories, but doesn't Steven have some nonbinary gender moments himself?

thats one of the thing I love about steven, he doesn't really act a specific "gender" literally he is just Steven. Like I don't know how else to explain it.

joined Jan 30, 2013

I will just leave this here http://i.imgur.com/iYCj55W.jpg I haven't watched the show but I want to .... One of theeeeese daaaaaays~

Love it. Also you should really see it, you wont regret my friend.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I may had to check it out... for SCIENCE!

joined Jan 30, 2013

I may had to check it out... for SCIENCE!

FOR SCIENCE!!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

@Ushio: You seem so exited xd. Anyway ditto Serenata's comment.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

I may give this one a chance if Rebecca Sugar know anything about Saya no Uta,but I highly doubt it.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

There's this guy who i've been trying to convince to watch Gundam Unicorn for some time but he doesn't feel like it 'cause he prefers watching Steven Universe instead, likewise he's been trying to make me watch Steven Universe but i don't feel like it 'cause i'm ass blasted about it, so until he watches Unicorn i'm afraid i'll never be able to watch it
This lasagna tastes awful

last edited at Aug 21, 2015 5:30AM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I think CN maybe trying to recapture it's glory days too hard... not sure what to think of this show. o.o

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

I think CN maybe trying to recapture it's glory days too hard... not sure what to think of this show. o.o

Cartoon Network (and Cartoon shows) never had more glorious days than these, I love Animaniacs and Superman/Batman: TAS and Gargoyles but you always still got that feeling that they just couldn't really freely express themselves in so many areas like they can now

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Cartoon Network (and Cartoon shows) never had more glorious days than these

Sometimes I wish I was born like 10 years later just so my childhood experiences would include todays cartoons. And it's not even like there was a shortage of awesome cartoons when I was a kid. The english intro kinda sucks in comparison. Just saying.

Regarding Steven Universe, I'll second the oneofthesedays motion. Definitely intrigued but not willing to spend the time on it right now.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Cartoon Network (and Cartoon shows) never had more glorious days than these, I love Animaniacs and Superman/Batman: TAS and Gargoyles but you always still got that feeling that they just couldn't really freely express themselves in so many areas like they can now

Well, they actually couldn't. There's an image Bruce Timm did, showing various things he wasn't allowed to put in Batman: TAS. I have friends in the animation industry who talk about the restriction television animation has been under for a long time. Reboot had several jokes about "BS&P" which refers to the regulating agency in the 'States.

I wasn't aware of any changes, but a number of shows have managed to subvert where they can.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

When I said glory days, I meant the shows like Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, PPG, etc. It just seems like they aren't even trying to put out quality cartoons anymore.

I'm only speaking for myself of course.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

When I said glory days, I meant the shows like Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, PPG, etc. It just seems like they aren't even trying to put out quality cartoons anymore.

I'm only speaking for myself of course.

Wait, what?

Well, they actually couldn't. There's an image Bruce Timm did, showing various things he wasn't allowed to put in Batman: TAS.

You can't tell me this and then not link it if it's out there sunshine

Probably this one

last edited at Aug 21, 2015 1:21PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, they actually couldn't. There's an image Bruce Timm did, showing various things he wasn't allowed to put in Batman: TAS.

You can't tell me this and then not link it if it's out there sunshine

Probably this one

That's it. If you look around, there are versions with text on the bottom telling what the forbidden aspects are. I posted it here in the forums before, but I forget which thread it was.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Probably drugs, religious icons, bodily injuries, children getting hurt, alcohol and cigarettes.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Nah, I see just Batmans clinginess to little boys ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Probably drugs, religious icons, bodily injuries, children getting hurt, alcohol and cigarettes.

Also strangulation, bullet wounds and broken glass.

It's also children being endangered, rather than hurt.

Story a friend used to tell when he was working on Ollie's Under-the-Bed Adventures, where the characters were trying to convince the local rich kid to help them or something. In the scene, he was on a lounge on his lawn, and when he refuses them the security goons throw them onto the sidewalk.

Well, one of the characters was a girl, and the animators were told they couldn't get away with having her thrown onto the sidewalk. So they had one guard push her while she dug in her heels, making furrows in the ground. Sent that to Legal, and word came back it was unacceptable. So they re-did the scene with a guard on either side lifting her by the arms, carrying her to the sidewalk and setting her down. Sent that to Legal, and word came back that the guards weren't allowed to touch her at all. So the final version of the scene had the goons walk up to her, and all three of them just walked off the lawn.

That's pretty much how things go in TV animation. The younger the audience aimed at, the more restrictive it is.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

But adding to that, I remember the animated version of Wild C.A.T.s ended up being made for direct-to-video, because if they went to TV they would have had to put pants on all the female characters, because having any bare flesh on their legs was unacceptable. And that was aimed at an older teen and up audience.

To reply you must either login or sign up.