Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I think what motojin means is that Seven Seas officially used "Gal" for "Gyaru" in their manga, and others official licensors have as well. I don't really care either way, myself, but when I read "gal" in manga it's usually referring to the gyaru-type girl.

Hmm. I'll take that into account. Still, before now if I saw gal in a manga I would've assumed the English speakers meaning. Edit: I'm going to discuss this one with the QC-er and get back to you.

I am suddenly making way to many posts. I'll try to cut back.

last edited at Jul 1, 2015 11:59PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Aw, I really like this so far. Light-hearted romantic comedies are my favorite, especially by Milk.

They're both decent, but c'mon, Mare was her masterpiece.

I wonder what Milk thinks of her old work, considering she's made nothing like that since then...

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

is this mari's and akko's new reincarnation? :P

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

A new Morinaga series!! Sign me the heck up!!

I thought it was only going to be a one-shot until i noticed it was chapter one, kekekeke. Super excited for this!

I definitely prefer her more recent yuri over her old stuff, it sticks with me. Yeah you can say they're "simple" in terms of story line school girl that kinda stuff, but have a lovable depth to them for me.

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

Expecting something like embarrassment and misunderstandings for 30 chapters, not being able to convey one's feelings and "what do i do she doesn't like me!!!" stuff. And of course a kiss in 31 chapter. Spoilers, spoilers.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think what motojin means is that Seven Seas officially used "Gal" for "Gyaru" in their manga, and others official licensors have as well. I don't really care either way, myself, but when I read "gal" in manga it's usually referring to the gyaru-type girl.

Hmm. I'll take that into account. Still, before now if I saw gal in a manga I would've assumed the English speakers meaning. Edit: I'm going to discuss this one with the QC-er and get back to you.

My first introduction to the term was the manga Gals! which confused me a bit because at the time I didn't know there was a subculture in Japan by that name and confused it with the more generic English word. I've learned since, but to be honest at the time I would have found it a lot less confusing if they'd "translated" it as "gyaru" and put notes on it the way you did.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Expecting something like embarrassment and misunderstandings for 30 chapters, not being able to convey one's feelings and "what do i do she doesn't like me!!!" stuff. And of course a kiss in 31 chapter. Spoilers, spoilers.

To be honest I'd rather have that than a retread of Secret Recipe.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Yeah, way to may posts, shame on you!

... What's a hypocrite?

I wonder what Milk thinks of her old work, considering she's made nothing like that since then...

She probably knows it's her best, and therefore doesn't even dare to try once more to emulate it's epicness.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 12:13AM

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

I sure hope not. Mari and Akko had better be living together in a huge mansion now with 2 adopted or science babies.

Itshappening
joined Feb 13, 2013

ALL MY EXCITEMENT

Tmp_11996-nanofate-3-11937795520
joined Dec 6, 2013

Love Milk Morinaga's work. Her arts are alway's cute =^^=

Ushi-nooo
joined Aug 20, 2014

I'm so happy! I love Morinaga Milk sensei and this story seems really cute!! I totally called it that Hina would end up being younger :D

PrettyMitsuki
Glasses
joined Feb 21, 2015

yeah. I'm rather disappointed of Secret Recipe and its main characters relationship progress. they couldn't actually confess and be lovey dovey until the last chapter were they are finally lovers and they show little sweet moments between the two :(

I think the owner looks like an adult Akko :P

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 1:12AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Yay a new Morinaga and it looks very promising :) And Hana x Hina look different enough in face / height, personality to distinguish them from her other characters that use these archetypes. I like that the smaller girl is the sempai - even if it's only by a year.

1w
joined Jun 17, 2015

Morinaga sure can really bring out the cutesy feels effectively. Another series to look forward to!

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I like that the smaller girl is the sempai - even if it's only by a year.

That's actually the same idea as in The Secret Recipe though so it's not terribly new. Looks interesting regardless though.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I dunno. Morinaga's not the greatest with ending angst. If there's one thing Secret Recipe did right, it's that it tied everything together and ended satisfyingly without sputtering to the end (for what she had to work with), something she's a little too good at it for my taste. But maybe she learned something along the way to now. We've seen plenty of authors grow by leaps and bounds over the course of us following them.

Either way, I'm looking forward to this. It's got a good, nice premise that's pretty barebones and simple with a good flavoring of fun mixed in. I'll probably like these two a lot in a few month's time.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 3:39AM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Is it serialized the same way as Ohimesama no Himitsu? How can a reader support Morinaga-sensei?

And I reiterate my undying affection for Himitsu no Recipe :) I think it goes well with the Shinozaki-san stuff, for instance.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 4:04AM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

What are the mcs' names?
Emori Hinako and ... What Hana?

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

About school rules: my experience in Japan was the better schools, maybe they are pretty strict about no part-time jobs and even no hanging out. After all, they have so many applicants and a reputation to uphold. the lower down schools, they're happy if they can keep the boys from climbing out the windows, etc.Isn't it the case that Morinaga Milk is from an earlier generation of students (maybe late 80s or early 90s -in which case it's the one that I know)? If so, if her manga's schools have anachronistic rules, maybe that's why?

joined Jan 30, 2013

How does having students working at part time jobs interfere with their reputation?
If you can't hang out after school, when would you?
Besides, how is anything the students do after school outside the school's property part its business? It isn't a boarding school.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 4:59AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

How does having students working at part time jobs interfere with their reputation?
Besides, how is anything the students do after school outside the school's property part its business? It isn't a boarding school.

Well, from what I gathered in my time in japan, the issue is more that they want the kids to go straight back to their home so they change out of their uniform and back in the care of their parents before doing whatever they do.

The uniform is really the "issue" there. We can see that Hana is wearing it when changing out of her working uniform to go back home. And the uniform kind of advertise for the school. If parents see some kids wearing a school uniform while going to fast food or arcade after school, they might think that the school is too lenient and don't have "proper" students, then think twice about sending their own kids there. So yeah, it's more about the kids having "bad" behavior while wearing their school uniform. Once they're back to their place and wearing their own clothes, they have less chances to be related to the school.

It might seems stupid to us westerners, but education and school is quite a big deal in japan.

As for the ban on part time job, not quite sure, might be because seeing Hana walking home late, people might get strange idea as for the reason why she was out so late... And if comuting takes too much time, students can't go back to change in casual clothes then go to their job in time.

Anyway, glad to see more of Morigana's work. Would be nice indeed to get a cameo of Mari and Akko, maybe as customers of the shop for their daughter ? :3

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Well, from what I gathered in my time in japan, the issue is more that they want the kids to go straight back to their home so they change out of their uniform and back in the care of their parents before doing whatever they do.

The uniform is really the "issue" there. We can see that Hana is wearing it when changing out of her working uniform to go back home. And the uniform kind of advertise for the school. If parents see some kids wearing a school uniform while going to fast food or arcade after school, they might think that the school is too lenient and don't have "proper" students, then think twice about sending their own kids there. So yeah, it's more about the kids having "bad" behavior while wearing their school uniform. Once they're back to their place and wearing their own clothes, they have less chances to be related to the school.

It might seems stupid to us westerners, but education and school is quite a big deal in japan.

As for the ban on part time job, not quite sure, might be because seeing Hana walking home late, people might get strange idea as for the reason why she was out so late... And if comuting takes too much time, students can't go back to change in casual clothes then go to their job in time.

Anyway, glad to see more of Morigana's work. Would be nice indeed to get a cameo of Mari and Akko, maybe as customers of the shop for their daughter ? :3

Couldn't they solve that by simply taking a spare change of cloths to school with them, so they don't have to go back home to change and won't be advertising the school when they do whatever?

Profile160x160
joined Nov 20, 2014

Can confirm. Had no idea "Gal" was a Japanese sub-culture, nor that "Gal" was the Romaji(?) word in question. Seeing "Gal" in place of the explanation would just have seemed out of place with how the character usually speaks.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Hum... don't they look a lot like Mari and Akko?

To reply you must either login or sign up.