Forum › Music is love music is life

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I've only recognised Opeth so far...

I usually only listen to one main band per sub genre for some reason, with a few songs at best from others.

~ means one or a few songs follow.

NWoBHM - Iron Maiden ~ Hallowed be Thy Name (music literally perfected). (Judas Priest ~ the Hell Patrol, a few Motörhead and Saxon songs, should I put Bruce Dickinson's solo stuff here? Don't hate 90's Maiden like most, but Accident of Birth and Chemical wedding were there best albums of the decade. Anyway, ~ Ghostof cain, the Book of thel or Arc of space, can't decide.)

Power Metal - Blind Guardian ~ And then there was Silence (if Hallowed be thy Name didn't exist, I'd probably think this was music perfected). (Demons and Wizards ~ the fiddler on the Green (so sad, and sadder still for it's basis in real life), though it is Hansi from BG's side project, so kind of cheating, One or two Power Quest songs are okay, find some cheesy fun in Heavenly's Ode to Joy, Manowar is kinda right-ish to put here, can listen to most and not kill myself. Yes, even Dragonforce.)

Atmospheric Black Metal - Agalloch, though I've rarely seen people agree on their genre, this one seems to crop up most often. ~ You Were but a Ghost in My Arms (Gallowbraid are okay too.)

Gaijin rock - Area 11 are the second most plugged by me things ever, and being beaten only by Palletforce is quite the feat. ~ Heaven Piercing Giga Drill (loved it's TTGL references before I knew TTGL) or Movement Four of Bosozoku Symphonic, though only the album version can possibly beat out HPGD. Euphemia and Knighmare/Frame both have awesome lyrics for my Code Geass loving heart, and shi no Barado makes death Note into such an amazing romance. Especially in Japanese.

Melodic Death Metal - Amon Amarth. ~ Twilight of the Thunder God, Fate of Norns, Father of the Wolf.

Regular old Death Metal - Death.

Controversial Metal (for where bands that some people are adamant aren't metal and others that they are belong) - Avenged Sevenfold. Huge nostalgia points for being the band which made me like music at all. I'd gone the first twelve to thirteen-ish years of my life hating all music until I heard Nightmare. Other than that, A Little Piece of Heaven was depressingly influential on my development, Strength of the World I think has alwaqys been my favourite A7X song.

Never got how thrash became so popular, but liked some slayer and Rust in Peace, a few other Megadeth songs and not all of Metallica's disocgraphy is terrible, even if the tired old, 'the first three/four/five (depending on the person) albums were good!' is FAR from true. I'll probably try to dig deeper into the genre at some point though, hopefully will find some decent stuff.

Wherever Dio sang was great as well. ~ Only Sabbath I like outside of covers, Holy Diver, And All the Fools Sailed Away, Don't Talk to Strangers.

Only ever liked two anime OP's, Mnemosyne's and colours by FLOW. Liked CG's sound track in general though (outside of non-colours OP's and ED's (I have no idea if I used ED correctly, I'm tired and kind of typing on instinct by now.) of course.)

Speaking of soundtracks, I listen to LOTR's a lot. Loved it so much.

Listen to a bit of Baroque, Classic and Romantic as well, the big three Mozart, Beethoven and Bach senior. Purcell, Tchaikovsky and other fairly big names as well, though not as much as I would have liked.

The late, great Christopher Lee put out some great music as well, though I've not listened to all I intend to.

I'm sure I was thinking of more, but I can't for the life of me remember, though that's probably for the better of any who've read this.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Amon Amarth. ~ Twilight of the Thunder God, Fate of Norns, Father of the Wolf.

Aw, no love for Under The Northern Star?

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Amon Amarth. ~ Twilight of the Thunder God, Fate of Norns, Father of the Wolf.

Aw, no love for Under The Northern Star?

Of course, much love for under the northern star.

And holy crap, I didn't realise how long that post was until just now.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

EUIV soundtrack is pretty great, especially Guns Drums and Steel I&II and the Christmas ones.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I'm a sucker for cheesy 90's pop like Aqua, Scatman John, Carlito or The Bloodhound Gang

For something more recent and less cheesy, I've become quite fond of Bastille

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Old but Gold

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm a sucker for cheesy 90's pop like Aqua, Scatman John, Carlito or The Bloodhound Gang

DANGEROUSLY cheesy!

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Not sure how it sounds for non-german speakers the lyrics are awesome

Yes

last edited at Jun 12, 2015 9:15AM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I was just about to say how I mostly listen to US rap because german rap really sucks aside from a few exceptions and then somebody just posts Dendemann. He's definitely one of those few exceptions. Here' another good song with him.

Right now I'm pretty much stuck on Tech N9ne, Strangeulation, Speedom, and Aw yeah? are such good songs. Kill Shit with Kaliko, too. Other rappers I usually end up stuck with are Sandpeople in pretty much any line up, solo or as a group. and stuff like Royce.

last edited at Jun 12, 2015 9:41AM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

My big brother really likes Alligatoah, tough I was more a fan of F. R.

Again, the lyrics are awesome if you can read them

last edited at Jun 12, 2015 9:47AM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I listen almost exclusively to japanese pop/rock, a list of my favorites :

Other than that I sometime I surprise myself and am ashamed of x) listening to some K-pop songs (F(x), IU, block B for exemple) influenced by my sister. A little less but still ashamed, I like to listen to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. And also some music form anime : K-ON, Otsu Terakado from gintama, girls dead monsters from angel beats (well, not much anymore) and some opening/ending

I have some My Chemical Romance and Green Day in my playlist since middle school/begining of high school

last edited at Jun 12, 2015 1:06PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I forgot Sabaton, much shame is mine.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

1000 words, this post isn't

last edited at Jun 13, 2015 6:22PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

In light of recent events Thank you Yoko Shimomura

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Suppose it's a good time as any to share some shreds ...

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Nobody sharing the greatest song ever?

Neither this beautiful site?

Blyat
joined Sep 12, 2012

No touhou music fans here?
I am greatly disappoint.

Well, my favorite non-touhou bands are

• Nevermore (RIP)
  • Arch enemy
  • In flames (RIP good in flames)
  • Opeth (RIP good heavy opeth)
  • Blind guardian
  • Symphony X (new album hype!)
  • Iced Earth
  • Dream Theater
  • Metallica (RIP)
  • Manowar (RIP)
  • many others who're not important

I still love them, especially Blind guardian, Dream theater and Symphony X, but since touhou and doujin in general music came into my life back in 2012 the term metalhead is no longer applicable.

Favorite circles are, with no particular order other than the very first:

-------POP/ELECTRONIC POP/ELECTRO/TRANCE/ETC------

• ShibayanRecords - The best there is, Shibayan is one of the few humans who can be called God without exaggeration. Pretty much every vocal song he has conjured is a journey.
  • Halozy - sample
  • Eastnewsound - sample
  • NJK record -sample - Mostly a notable mention, since they made too few, but good, albums.
  • ZYTOKINE - sample
  • Syrufit (RIP ;_;) - sample
  • Digital Wing/ デジウィ - Some of their songs are way too catchy to be real, like this or this, if Three magic didn't exist my horizons wouldn't be this broad now.
  • Amateras Records - sample
  • Lila'c Records - Good trance is rare. sample
  • 堕悪祭怪&昼 (Mohican Sandbag) - sample
  • 幽閉サテライト - aka Yuuhei Satellite, you probably know them from this
  • IZMIZM - sample - Why is izna singing instead of making music???
  • Liz triangle / りすとら ( could also be classified as Rock sometimes) - sample
  • 発熱巫女~ず - Their music, especially as of late, is exceptional (Incorporate jazz and other music elements)
  • Alstroemeria Records aka the guys who made Bad Apple - DOMINATED DANCEHALL and before era

-----METAL/ROCK-------

---------------JAZZ/LOUNGE/SWING/CLASSICAL/INSTRUMENTAL/FOLK--------

• 交響アクティブNEETs aka Tokyo Active NEETs - sample 4 views?
  • AssaultDoor - sample
  • オーライフジャパン aka O-LIFE.JP - sample - These guys could have been in everything as well.
  • Tutti Sound - sample
  • Golden City Factory - sample
  • CarrotWine/ARA - sample - Really diverse artist, has also made quite a bit of 16/8-bit music.
  • 狐の工作室 aka Fox factory, Kitsune's Workshop - sample
  • 街角麻婆豆 (Machikado-Mapoze) - sample -Multitude of different folk genres and dances from all around the world. The main guy of this circle can play like 50 different instruments.
  • DDBY - sample
  • Azure&Sands - sample and another one
  • As/hi Soundworks - sample - Also a diverse circle, love their classical pieces most.
  • SWING HOLIC - sample - Initially part of SOUND HOLIC, seems to have became a circle of its own now.
  • OrangeCoffee - sample
  • ついったー東方部 (tanigon) - sample
  • flap+frog - sample - As chill as it gets.
  • Probably more I forget

--------EVERYTHING/RD-sounds--------

• SOUND HOLIC - sample - sample - sample - sample
  • IOSYS
  • Pizuya's Cell - sample - sample - He's made some piano solo albums but I don't really like them.
  • RD-sounds - sample - Genre of their own. Recommended to anyone. Try finding videos with lyrics as they are integral to the experience. - more sample - last

Sorry for the extremely lengthy post, but it pains me that music this good is left unnoticed.Also excuse me if any of the videos have bad sound quality, I don't use youtube to listen since I already have a good collection, I just use it to share. There are many more good circles out there. But these are the ones I've delved in. And many of them need much more recognition from the western community I think.

Sorry for advocating secondary-ness but I love the music too much. Everyone should play the games of course!

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I feel like making myself unpopular, so here is Tech N9ne proving again that rappers are the better poets, at least on a technical level. Seriously, those are like 18 rhymes on the same 4 syllable word in 15 lines. And some other rhymes for good messure. I wish I could do that.

This and this are the best soundtracks from games ever by the way. Just saying.
The second one kinda has spoilers for Hate Plus and Analogue: A Hate Story, I guess.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Miami Disco was the moment Hotline Miami flipped my switch, combined with the colour seizure nightmare that was the mission, placed the game on a special place. It even got reused in the extra mission

joined Mar 23, 2013

I feel like making myself unpopular, so here is Tech N9ne proving again that rappers are the better poets, at least on a technical level. Seriously, those are like 18 rhymes on the same 4 syllable word in 15 lines. And some other rhymes for good messure. I wish I could do that.

This and this are the best soundtracks from games ever by the way. Just saying.
The second one kinda has spoilers for Hate Plus and Analogue: A Hate Story, I guess.

Literally rhymes for days

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Yeah, Eminem is definitely one of the best lyricists.

Speaking of awesome rhymes... ( really offensive if you actually understand German, so beware I guess.)

Ich bin der Sohn von Unvernunft und Wissenschaften
und ne Untergrundvernichtungswaffe.
Wenn ich komm hast du besser ne Unfallschutzversich'rungsakte.

8 syllables is the longest rhyme I've ever heard in a song, I think.

last edited at Jun 16, 2015 11:55AM

21bd50a9-fb4d-47b7-a52f-4864e2af91fc
joined May 8, 2015

Isn't High on Fire new album out this week? All the metal heads I know are crazy about it.

On topic about rap, is kendrick lamar as good as how the media hyping him? I don't listen to rap but I do enjoy his part in Flying Lotus album and to pimp a butterfly is currently the highest rated album in metacritic

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Isn't High on Fire new album out this week? All the metal heads I know are crazy about it.

On topic about rap, is kendrick lamar as good as how the media hyping him? I don't listen to rap but I do enjoy his part in Flying Lotus album and to pimp a butterfly is currently the highest rated album in metacritic

Kendrick is pretty good in relation to a lot of mainstream rappers, but he can't really compare to most of the less money driven rappers (for the lack of a better word) like Masta Ace, R.A. The Rugged Man, Talib Kweli or Rock Bottom.

That's how I see it at least. Music is always gonna be more or less subjective.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

''.... this are the best soundtracks from games ever by the way. Just saying.''

You. Were. Right.

repeat

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Whiplash. 'nuff said

To reply you must either login or sign up.