Forum › Music is love music is life

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Post your favourite bands and musics and recent discoveries and what-not, don't post Moulin Rouge, that movie scarred my childhood

Me? I'm quite into alternative metal, especially melodic death metal, just to name a few examples:

Scar Symmetry
Disarmonia Mundi
Devin Townsend
Soilwork
Between The Buried And Me
Bury Your Dead
Blood Stain Child
Universum
Being
Opeth
Terror 2000

Among a few others
Outside of Metal i don't have much to share aside from Sound Horizon (Which i suppose used to be quite underground but must be a little more known now that the main dude got involved with Attack on Titan and Bravely Default) and Hardline
Of course there's the obligatory game and anime songs but i'll leave that for latNO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO!

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Some all-time favorites: Bowie, Portishead, Billie Holiday. Some favorites which I've been listening too much to recently: Warpaint, ZAZ. Other really awesome stuff: Moondog, Chet Baker.
Also, obligatory anime stuff.
And yes, I like too many too different stuff. And these are just a small portion of 'em

last edited at Jun 10, 2015 6:54PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, I won't bother with links, y'all can just look up stuff yourself. But I like a pretty broad spectrum of stuff. Here's a sampling:

Boards of Canada - IDM
The Real Tuesday Weld - Neo-lounge
Beefy - Nerdcore
Kellylee Evans - Vocal jazz
Deep Forest - World music
Dan Mangan - Alt folk
Buck 65 - Weirdo hip-hop
Crashfaster - Chiptunes
Apollo Ghosts - Alt rock
Cardboard Crowns - Ska
Gypsophilia - Gypsy jazz
Frank Turner - Disillusioned punk
Torrentz - Nerdcore
Carolina Chocolate Drops - Oldschool folk
The Hot Sardines - Prohibition style jazz
Styx - Oldschool rock
XTC - Anything from punk to introspective pop, depends on the album
Moxy Früvous - Alternative pop with sweet harmonies, pity the lead singer turned out to be a serial rapist
Tom Waits - Broken down carnival
Tomas Dvorak - Ambient game sountrack
Adam WarRock - West coast nerdcore

Honourable mention to all the great artists of OverClocked Remix for their great re-imagined game soundtracks.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Of all that stuff, I know only a few things of Tom Waits and XTC. Definitely looking some of these up later, though.

Alternative pop with sweet harmonies, pity the lead singer turned out to be a serial rapist

What.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Hah, Ghomeshi was the lead. Well yeah, let say it hasn't been the greatest for him recently.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Of all that stuff, I know only a few things of Tom Waits and XTC. Definitely looking some of these up later, though.

Alternative pop with sweet harmonies, pity the lead singer turned out to be a serial rapist

What.

Jian Ghomeshi, it turned into a really big deal since he was a celebrity at CBC after leaving the band, and leaving a trail of abused and threatened women all the way down the line. The music he and the rest left behind was amazing though, often funny with beautiful harmonies. Feels a bit weird listening to it because of what happened though.

21bd50a9-fb4d-47b7-a52f-4864e2af91fc
joined May 8, 2015

Taylor Swift

Yeah my taste is bad

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Taylor Swift

Yeah my taste is bad

BANNED!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

AAWWW I had a good title for a music tread too! "Dynasty High light music club (music thread)" or something similar.

I mostly listen to anime/vg soundtracks but I like old bands/music like Kiss, Guns N' Roses, Bon jovi or stuff that my family likes...I guess my music taste is extremely random. As for the OSTs that would take a whole page so I'd rather not mention anything or I'd be editing my comment for hours.

I'll also link this for any sexy situation in manga or something like that.

Taylor Swift

You're probably just young. BAN indeed

last edited at Jun 10, 2015 10:41PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I have a different choice for music in sexy situations in manga

Taylor Swift

Not bad

last edited at Jun 10, 2015 10:56PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I said sexy not sexual! but I suppose this one good for Hardcore NSFW stuff like Yuri Mekuru Hibi.

joined May 8, 2015

Lol I jest (but I do listen to Taylor swift a lot)

Anyway 2015 has been a fantastic year for music fan so far. Some of my favorite artist who release new album:

Slater Kinney
Father John Misty
Sufjan Stevens
Courtney Barnett (WHY IS THIS WOMAN NOT ABSURDLY POPULAR)
Waxahatchee
Bjork
Purity Ring
Yowler
Kendrick Lamar
Brandon Flowers

And we still have new Lana Del Rey, Grimes,and Chvrches coming out later this year. Will definitely losing my shit on new Grimes.

Yes I like pop music

Kyonne: I see you like metal, then I recommend you to read The Black Market column in stereogum which is, IMO, the best music blog in the world. The latest metal album to earn Album of The Week there is Children of the Night by Tribulation, rings any bell? (I know nothing about metal Lol)

joined May 8, 2015

I said sexy not sexual! but I suppose this one good for Hardcore NSFW stuff like Yuri Mekuru Hibi.

People said that The XX's song is song for having sex, maybe you'd like em.

My favorite adult song is by FKA twigs tho

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Kyonne: I see you like metal, then I recommend you to read The Black Market column in stereogum which is, IMO, the best music blog in the world. The latest metal album to earn Album of The Week there is Children of the Night by Tribulation, rings any bell? (I know nothing about metal Lol)

As the name implies that blog seems to focus a lot on Black Metal and similars, i'm not that hardcore, most of the stuff that i listen to has beautiful clean vocals in the middle of the brutal growls, and the ones that doesn't gotta have some high level of energy that makes me want to mosh

Now stepping out of metal for a little bit, allow me to spread a bit of culture with my favorite classical music, this song touches me in places that i can only show to my cats only 3 of the 4 though, the one with the huge tail doesn't like me... I just want to be loved...

last edited at Jun 10, 2015 11:58PM

joined May 8, 2015

As the name implies that blog seems to focus a lot on Black Metal and similars, i'm not that hardcore, most of the stuff that i listen to has beautiful clean vocals in the middle of the brutal growls, and the ones that doesn't gotta have some high level of energy that makes me want to mosh

Well actually stereogum also has column for pop (written by the fantastic Chris Deville) and rap and regular music coverage. Metal make up for really small part of their scope.

Do any of you guys listen to Sun Kil Moon? Beautiful music written by asshole human being.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Funk,Soul,Jazz and House like Kool and the Gang and pretty much anything from these "fake" radio stations.

http://gta.wikia.com/CSR_103.9
http://gta.wikia.com/Fever

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

Wow, looking at the lists of musicians/bands here, I am disappointed that my music range is extremely limited. I only recognised 2-3 artists from everyone's list.

For me, I'm a huge fan of alternative rock, bossa nova and a little bit o' jazz. But I do listen to pop too, it's my guilty pleasure.

My all-time favourite alt. Rock band is Coldplay, although I'm not keen on their recent stuff like ghost stories. It's too much pop. I am forever in love with their album Parachutes though.

alt. Rock: Coldplay, Onerepublic, Imagine Dragons, Sugar Ray, The Script (this one's more of Pop rock), and Sum 41 are some that I can remember from the top of my head.

Bossa Nova: Marcela Mangabeira, Stacey Kent and Olivia Ong to name a few.

Jazz: Norah Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, Dianna Krall and Nat King Cole.

Some others that I'm fond of are: Feist, Adele, Hoobastank, Avril's earlier music, sixpencenonethericher, The Corrs, Jason Mraz. Heck I think even Lorde's music is quite cool. And of course, Queen. :)

joined May 8, 2015

Satsuki: if you want to discover more music I recommend to subscribe to streaming service like spotify or rdio, you'll discover a heap of new artist with their algorithm. Or if streaming is not your cup of tea there's last.fm. Or if you're not a fan of sharing your listening habit to faceless corporation you could always read music publication like stereogum, pitchfork, paste mag, etc. Lastly, I know critics score is not a good measure for how much you enjoy an album but metacritic is pretty reliable to discover newly released stuff

last edited at Jun 11, 2015 6:30AM

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

^thank you very much! I actually do use spotify and do visit the pitchfork website.
I'll check out the other things you listed.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Love Love

....and Pain

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I listen to pretty much anything and everything, so long as it doesn't insult my intelligence. I'm much more into soft - Idk how to even describe it - or electronic music right now though. But I'm kinda disappointed in the topic at the moment.

Where is all the weeb music???? Bonus kpop

Me? I'm quite into alternative metal, especially melodic death metal, just to name a few examples:

Scar Symmetry
Disarmonia Mundi
Devin Townsend
Soilwork
Between The Buried And Me
Bury Your Dead
Blood Stain Child
Universum
Being
Opeth
Terror 2000

Metal!! I feel a bit intimidated by this list given that I actually only know about 1/3 of them. You picked a great Opeth song, though, that just about made my morning.

How about some thrash? Black Dahlia Murder, which I guess is kinda melodeath-y? (Based on what you said earlier I imagine these are a bit outside your purview)

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

You picked a great Opeth song

Was debatting if i shoul pick Ghost of Perdition or Harlequin Forest

Black Dahlia Murder, which I guess is kinda melodeath-y? (Based on what you said earlier I imagine these are a bit outside your purview)

Huh... Kinda interesting actually

Where is all the weeb music????

Hope this is weeb enough

Christ, can't believe i forgot to mention Demon Hunter It is the band that made me go gay after all long story

joined Apr 19, 2014

Where is all the weeb music???? Bonus kpop

did you call

KOKIA
FictionJunction/Kalafina (they share most of their band members and the composer, Yuki Kajiura, who also composed for Madoka, El Cazador de la Bruja, and a lot of other stuff. Also, Keiko <3)
Haruka Shimotsuki
Akiko Shikata

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014
Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Akiko

Son of a bitch

Edit: Ricordando il passato

last edited at Jun 11, 2015 2:31PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.