joined Jan 11, 2015

what is this tag about?

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Basically the evolved form of Drama.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

About one or more people engulfed in sadness because of reasons, may have a really satisfying ending or not

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, where drama comes from characters in conflict either with each other or themselves, angst takes it to another level with the sheer agonizing about it. Think Hamlet's soliloquy turned up to 11.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

When characters go out of their way to overreact to drama, crying, screaming, punching walls or windows, fits of rage, etc...

A classic device to turn up the feels over 9000.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Now you're okay for the theory test, time to study to the practical test

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'd think this mess would be a better example.

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Good read.

I'd think this mess would be a better example.

You mean the manga or the forum thread? The manga was great, the thread was just terrible. One star out of five.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Weird, I don't remember Lonely wolf as being particularly angsty

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

It gets pretty angsty.
There was the injuring yourself because of pressure thing and the love triangle in the end was major angst, too.

joined Jan 30, 2015

I wonder what is the angstiest manga with the tag. Not in the sense of, "which has the most unpleasant stuff happen to the main characters?", but in the sense of, "which focuses the most on being miserable, and never talking about/reacting inappropriately to issues?"

I'd say one of Takemiya Jin's works. I love her stories, but I think she has a fondness for characters that feel that they can do nothing, or can only pick a worse option. Like, the kind of person that feels trapped by their unhappiness.

(I apologize if that is vague, or if my starting question is too off-topic.)

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

It gets pretty angsty.
There was the injuring yourself because of pressure thing and the love triangle in the end was major angst, too.

Yes but the fact that all this is resolved quickly make it seems less angsty. What I find angsty is when the drama keep going forever without sign of resolution

These resume pretty well my view of angst :

Like, the kind of person that feels trapped by their unhappiness.
which focuses the most on being miserable, and never talking about/reacting inappropriately to issues

last edited at Apr 14, 2015 5:45PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'd agree, Lonely Wolf is really low on the angst scale. Might even be better as drama when it comes down to it.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I think the opposite actually, Lonely Wolf has less drama 'cause it doesn't go on forever, but drama covers a wide spectrum of plot devices and could be pretty much about anything, the main issue in Lonely Wolf is pretty much about the characters accepting themselves, short but it's all about their angst

Untitled
joined Aug 14, 2014

Any good angsty yuri favorites, y'all?

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Half of the stuff Jin and Shuninta do. Also Sasameki Koto.

Yes but the fact that all this is resolved quickly make it seems less angsty. What I find angsty is when the drama keep going forever without sign of resolution

Well, I get where you're coming from. I never really judged angst by like, how long it took to be resolved but I see why you would.

last edited at Apr 14, 2015 11:35PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Everything Jin and Shuninta do. Also Sasameki Koto.

Yeah
Jin's
shit
is
SO
ANGSTY
!!!!

Assuming of course you ignore half of what she's done. Easy.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Totally edited it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Also Sasameki Koto.

Especially that one scene where what's her face throws such a fit she ends up putting her arm in a cast for awhile.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Would Shitsuraken count?

joined Jan 30, 2015

I'm invoking the old school and saying Oniisama E (God, I forgot I left this unfinished ages ago, so I'm going to read it too.)

But anyway, it's the kind of glittering angst that only 70s shojo can really manage (through, Utena draws very well on that time and genre).

Everyone is prone to just the grandest goddamn gestures and speeches in its boarding school, it's hilarious and captivating. Sorta like a soap opera, or its modern mainstream equivalents, the pro-wrestling program and the prestige drama. But, you know, fabulous and anime as fuck.

last edited at Apr 15, 2015 1:52AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Also Sasameki Koto.

Especially that one scene where what's her face throws such a fit she ends up putting her arm in a cast for awhile.

That would be Kazama... >.>

(see avatar :P)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

That would be Kazama... >.>

Yeah, that's her name. I can never remember it for some reason. Sumika and Koi are the only names I can ever remember without being in the middle of reading it, lol.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I LIKED THE PART WHERE SHE MADE OUT WITH ULTRAMAN, ULTRAMAN: FUCK YEAH!

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

angst has often a negative connotation, but there are good examples, one sure is sasameki, but the first that come to my mind is girlfriends, mari's angst is less violent, but as great (i'm not sarcastic)
if in sasameki there's even comedy, girlfriens is a great manga for its angst parts

that lonely wolf was the first title in this 3d is strange, that wasn't even in the age target, the characters are working woman, not teenagers

last edited at Apr 16, 2015 4:38AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.