Forum › Downloader

joined Jun 20, 2018

I was bored last night and wrote a simple downloader.. It's faster than downloading the images individually, but easier on the server as it doesn't require visiting every page.. Any objections (from the server admins) to posting a link to it?

joined Jun 20, 2018

First off, this was quickly put together.. There is no error handling, so if an image is faulty on the website, the downloading will just hang (I ran in to a couple of issues while testing)..

Secondly, my testing was all on macOS and a single run on Windows 10.. I don't have a Linux installation to test on, but it should just work..

Lastly, it only downloads the anime listed on the Series directory page < https://dynasty-scans.com/series > This list gets cached on your computer so as not to hammer the server.. If you need to delete the cache it will re-download it the next time you run the application.. (see below for the paths)

Usage
- run the program
- the list gets filled in (the first time is a little slow as it has to download the list and parse it)
- select a manga from the list
- click the Download button
-- you will be prompted for a save location, this is a general download area that all the manga will get download to, you will only be asked for the location the first time, on every launch)
- watch the progress bar go across the screen

Notes
- I tried to make this as friendly as possible to the server, so the manga list gets cached
- when downloading a series, it downloads each image one at a time (the same as if you were doing it in your web browser)
- if the download stalls, take a look to see if there is an error with the image on the website (quit the program so you can use it again)
- there are no features and no error handling
- source code is available (scroll to the bottom of the web page)
- tested on Mac OS X 10.10 (code-signed)
- tested on Windows 10 (not signed)
- untested on Linux (not signed)

Path
- the manga list is cached, as a JSON file, at the following locations
- Windows
\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\tk.shaosean.dynastyscansdownloader\
- macOS
~/Library/Application Support/tk.shaosean.dynastyscansdownloader/
- Linux
~/tk.shaosean.dynastyscansdownloader/

Download
https://shaosean.tk/dynastyscansdownloader.html

I'm due to depart, and the end of this week, from the civilized world for the next couple of years, so I won't be updating this until I come back.. Enjoy :-)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This probably isn't going to be allowed. To my knowledge the main cost of bandwidth is images and thus chapter downloads as well. So even if you're using the available api to not download any extraneous stuff this will still bypass the download limit and increase server resource utilization.

joined Jun 20, 2018

Well, the download limit is only for the ZIP files, you can download as many images as you can click..

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Of course, which basically nobody is going to bother doing because it's tedious. There's no point in banning that if nobody is going to do it.

joined Jun 20, 2018

I was doing it, hence the reason I wrote the program..

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Which is still basically nobody? "Basically nobody" implies few to no people. Kinda has some leeway there for a reason.

You still seem to be missing my point though. Even if it's not technically against the rules (which is debatable but you'd need an admin/moderator to clarify that) it's still completely against the spirit of the rule. The reason there's an 8 chapter limit per day is for server health reasons. Giving people a way to bypass that, even if one naturally exists but is tedious to make use of, is basically outright stating you couldn't care less if the site stays up or not.

doublesidedsushi
joined Jul 31, 2023

let us download our shit PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

To reply you must either login or sign up.