Forum › Smiling Broadly discussion

Shadowring123
joined Feb 19, 2011

OOOO this is one of my fav Konami doujins. Love the art and its just on hiatus? I thought it was done O.O YAY~ X3

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

There is a 4th book, but (to my/our knowledge) it hasn't been translated. If ever it is, we'll get it up.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I just can't make sense out of the Kagami x Yuu and Konata x Tsukasa stuff at the end of the first chapter. It really doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it, since neither of them seem otherwise inclined toward anyone but each other.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Ah, that. I was having trouble with it too, as the shift in pairings comes out of nowhere.

I assume there is some better explanation of it in the actual released book (i.e. artist comments, a break for a title page, or something similar), but these are two self-contained stories. The first, written by Mikami, is continued in subsequent chapters; the second, written by Hirosaki, is a one-shot that has no relation to anything else within the series.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Same with the 2nd chapter. First half is a continuation of the main story by Mikami, with the 2nd half being a standalone oneshot (presumably by Hirosaki again, but there's no credits). 3rd is entirely by Mikami.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

At least in the second chapter there's a separation between the two stories. Even a blank page in the first one would have been nice. But it is what it is, and I'm mainly happy to be less confused than I was.

Shadowring123
joined Feb 19, 2011

AGGHHH!!! Dies of joy*....Frack! Now i cant read it!!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I am LOVING those little dance sketches on the last page!

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Page 14, bottom left: Komata's doing some product placement~

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

My heart melts so fast with this doujin... Like, this is exactly what I wanted from the anime at some points, the same hype MioxRitsu gives me.

Rfrf
joined May 31, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/smiling_broadly_ch04#14

Are those books on the bottom of the page K-On and Yuyushiki? It is, isn't it.

last edited at Jun 21, 2013 2:36PM

Moukou_avatar
joined Apr 2, 2013

Holy crap a continuation. Never thought I'd see the day. Either way it was fun re-reading this doujin and then reading the new chapter. Definitely a nice trip to the past.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

YUP ! I thought it was nice, I love yuyushiki

last edited at Jun 24, 2013 10:24AM

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

I honestly never thought this would continue ever??? Genuinely waited years for this, I'm actually shocked. Assumed the author was busy with their new work / bored of Lucky Star (A Lucky Star doujin scanlated??? in 2013???? this is a christmas miracle.)

YUP ! I thought it was nice, I love yuyushiki

Considering the author of Smiling Broadly also does Yuyushiki, that is some pretty sneaky product placement.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 4 is actually incomplete, I submitted the complete version that was translated recently.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'll be honest, I'm not as fond of this translation of the first part as the one originally posted, I found the language flowed better. On the other hand, it's really good to see the part that was missing so it's a worthwhile trade-off.

It is interesting to learn that the "unpleasant situations" Konata was talking about was living as lesbians together, which doujins generally gloss over. Although am I reading it right as Konata suggesting it might keep them from being together after they're adults?

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

I'll be honest, I'm not as fond of this translation of the first part as the one originally posted, I found the language flowed better. On the other hand, it's really good to see the part that was missing so it's a worthwhile trade-off.

It is interesting to learn that the "unpleasant situations" Konata was talking about was living as lesbians together, which doujins generally gloss over. Although am I reading it right as Konata suggesting it might keep them from being together after they're adults?

Yeah, I was debating whether to replace it or not. The font and editing in the new one is way better, but the translation seems a bit more off.

Still, the 2nd half is definitely worth replacing it. And OrangePekoe went ahead and did it while I was pondering it anyway. :p

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Still, the 2nd half is definitely worth replacing it. And OrangePekoe went ahead and did it while I was pondering it anyway. :p

Cos someone was busy not being available in chat :P

You know it is possible to mix and match. I just wanted the extra bits.

It is, and I think you're at least somewhat correct. A part of me feels pretty confident they wouldn't split up - after all, Kogami wasn't convinced, and drama was replaced shortly afterwards with lovey dovey time - but the other really just wants Mikami to release another.
Of course after a tiny bit of searching for various reasons, it's safe to assume that with no new releases in ~3 years this series is over (though there was a 2 year gap between the fourth book and the earlier ones...).

last edited at Sep 27, 2013 9:12PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Of course after a tiny bit of searching for various reasons, it's safe to assume that with no new releases in ~3 years means that this series is over (though there was a 2 year gap between the fourth book and the earlier ones...).

Hey, the classic underground comic The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (featuring Fat Freddy's cat) had an ELEVEN YEAR gap at one point, but still claimed to be keeping to a regular schedule. I can handle a mere three.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Cos someone was busy not being available in chat :P

You know it is possible to mix and match. I just wanted the extra bits.

I like the old translation too. A mix of the old comic with the missing parts sounda like a good idea.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

I hope no on minds, if someone still prefers the old translation, this folder contains the old translation, plus the missing pages from the new translation. Also, the opening/intro pages was left untranslated since it was the author explaining what happened previously, but it was translated by Kamikakushi so I replaced that one from the raw one. (it also has both covers, since one was from a diff. angle, not sure which one you guys would preffer). This is my preference so you guys can decide which ones would you rather read.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5g3bhhk0ghhc5g/%5BMikami+Komata%5D+Classmate+Shock+4+Hagan+Shishou+%28U%26Kamikakushi+translation%29.rar

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Thanks EvilDevil, the extra and missing pages were really nice! and I wonder why I didn't notice that it was the same autor of Yuyushiki !
No doubt, this is the best pair... Even better than Mio and Ritsu.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Thanks for your various thoughts on this, we decided to go ahead and mix them up. The version offered on the read includes everything from Kami's version, but replaces pages 4-17 with /u/'s translation. If you download the archive, you will get both the altered version and the complete release by Kamikakushi, each in its own separate folder.

Also made note of this on the series' page.

last edited at Sep 28, 2013 3:52PM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Hey, the classic underground comic The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (featuring Fat Freddy's cat) had an ELEVEN YEAR gap at one point, but still claimed to be keeping to a regular schedule. I can handle a mere three.

Gilbert Shelton works in mysterious ways.

A great KonataxKagamin doujin. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to 100% nai nai nai.

21bd50a9-fb4d-47b7-a52f-4864e2af91fc
joined May 8, 2015

This doujin still holds up really well (the mikami komata's one obviously) and goddamn do I still experience so many feels re-reading this

To reply you must either login or sign up.