Forum › Yuri in Books (actual books)

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

So I've been reading a lot of ''yuri'' books like Annie on my Mind and Empress of the World.

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on what to read next because there are so many and I'm completely lost. I usually read but I took an unintentional break from it due to lack of motivation, lack of time and laziness in general.

Now that I've picked it up again I would love to focus more on books with yuri as main focus, if possible in multiple genres aswell.

I like fantasy and (psychological) thrillers the most. Of course just romance focusing on the relationship of two women would be great aswell.

So far I've read:
Annie on my Mind
Empress of the World
Second Mango

edit: Annie on my Mind is by far the best one so far, imo.

I've ordered:
Keeping you a Secret
Fried Green Tomatoes

PS: Here's my Goodreads page, if anyone even uses goodreads that is.

last edited at Mar 11, 2017 5:20AM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Read Sarah Waters books :)

Tipping the Velvet, Affinity, Fingersmith, The Paying Guests

MAYBE (cuz I didn't read it yet) The Night Watch too

http://www.sarahwaters.com/books/ :)

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

I did watch all of her movie adaptions, I was thinking about reading Fingersmith but I wasn't sure the movie ruined it for me because it's usually less exciting once I know what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Are you looking for books with lesbian romance (sub)plots or for books with the specific combination of archetypal tropes found in yuri manga? The latter is only a subset of the former, and it's not clear which you are referring to the opening post...

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

books with lesbian romance (sub)plots

This one.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

There's lots out there. Anything by Karin Kallmaker, Georgia Beers, Marianne K. Martin, Kenna White, etc. if you're looking for straight-up lesbian romance. Loads of stuff in the Sapphire Books catalogue, including genre fiction. Same goes for Riptide.

Personally, I'm about to read Flowers Of Luna, which was described to me as "girls getting their smooch on, on the moon!" which is highly relevant to my interests. I'll check back once I'm done to let folks know if it's worth reading.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

This one.

Alright. One I've read most recently was The Masked Empire by Patrick Weekes, although I'm not sure whether you're into video game tie-in novels. It does have the romance between an empress and her spy master as one of the central subplots.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Some of the ones I've read:
Silhouette of a Sparrow. by Molly Beth Griffin
The Red Tree (if you enjoy horror) and The Drowning Girl (this one is incredible), by Caitlín R. Kiernan
Sputnik Sweetheart, by Haruki Murakami
Quicksand, by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I still need to finish Sputnik Sweetheart. I got about half way through and got distracted.

I hear The Red Tree and all I can think of is the game Deadly Premonition, though.

last edited at Mar 11, 2017 2:45PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

I did watch all of her movie adaptions, I was thinking about reading Fingersmith but I wasn't sure the movie ruined it for me because it's usually less exciting once I know what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

BOOKS ARE MUCH BETTER

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

I still need to finish Sputnik Sweetheart. I got about half way through and got distracted.

I hear The Red Tree and all I can think of is the game Deadly Premonition, though.

I'm not much into Murakami's books, but this one I've read more than once. It grew on me somehow.

About those Caitlín's books, I'd say The Drowning Girl is vastly superior. In fact I liked it so much I own two copies of it, since the publisher here decided to give us a luxurious and gorgeous hardcover edition, which I had to get.

Masako2
joined Jul 6, 2012

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. A coming of age story. Incredible when it was written. It was like a dope slap by the Goddess for me.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

This one.

Alright. One I've read most recently was The Masked Empire by Patrick Weekes, although I'm not sure whether you're into video game tie-in novels. It does have the romance between an empress and her spy master as one of the central subplots.

I love Dragon Age, haven't read The Masked Empire yet.

I'll be sure to check all these recs out, thanks!

(Also love Deadly Premonition, so it's perfect)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

This one.

I love Dragon Age, haven't read The Masked Empire yet.

I'm glad. :-) Though, if you've already played DA:I, you probably have a pretty good idea of how the book ends...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I mentioned before that I started to read Flowers Of Luna by Jennifer Linsky. Well, I just finished it, so as promised here's the rundown.

It's a lesbian romance set on the moon, long after it was colonized. The main character, Ran Grey, is there for college at Sankt Vladimir University, and on her very first day ends up being challenged to a duel by another student, which leads to them dating. It's a pretty affable duel, what can I say. Ran carries the baggage of a famous family who were the catalyst for significant social change among the colonies, as well as the social drawbacks of growing up on a mining vessel. Nevertheless, she navigates friends and love pretty well.

It's science fiction in a pretty classic mold, with some overt callbacks to Robert A. Heinlein and others, but with a much more modern sensibility. There's a lot of references to Japanese stuff, but it doesn't come off as weeaboo at all, which is understandable given the author herself has Japanese heritage despite growing up in Arizona. The worldbuilding is pretty dense, a bit too dense at times, and heavy on fashion references, both historical and technical. That can get a bit overwhelming when all you really wanna do is get to the girls smooching. The ending is a bit more abrupt than I like as well, I could have stood another chapter or so to flesh it out, but it's not too bad as it is.

Overall, a pretty fair read and better than a lot of other stuff I've read. Just be ready to roll with the punches when she starts talking about fabrics and embroidery, is all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.