Forum › Cheating and NTR

Nws
joined Jul 1, 2014

Do people secretely like these kinds of doujins? For as much hate as they get in the comments section I was surprised to see the two most popular ones currently (Obsessed and Scandal) both use cheating/NTR.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Fuck no, people just tend to comment more on things they hate because its easier to voice distaste than it is to articulate on why you like something.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

That, and people do love it, or love to hate it. Don't forget, Netsuzou Trap is one of the biggest yuri manga hits lately, big enough to get a anime.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

And then we're getting an anime adaptation of a manga with "NTR" literally in the title...

Edit: DPF beat me to it... =A=

last edited at Mar 7, 2017 8:04PM

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Fuck no, people just tend to comment more on things they hate because its easier to voice distaste than it is to articulate on why you like something.

Lol

last edited at Mar 7, 2017 9:04PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

its easier to voice distaste than it is to articulate on why you like something.

I wish this phrase was automatically displayed every time anyone connected to the internet.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Lol

I dont see where in that sentence I implied that I do not also do this?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Lol

I don't even see why it should be controversial. While "I love it" without qualifications is accepted by most people as fine, saying "I hate it" without explaining why is generally looked down upon. Lots of different reasons for this, but it's expected that if someone doesn't like something they have reasons why, which generates conversation. And of course disagreement when people who do like that thing get involved. It's pretty normal and expected, and not actually a bad thing in fact.

Back to the topic, there definitely are people who like cheating and NTR stories, and at least in the former case stories are often morally grey. It's hard to say "cheating is wrong 100% of the time" particularly in fiction, and people are going to bring different perspectives to the table and so the threads get longer with stuff like that.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Lol

I don't even see why it should be controversial. While "I love it" without qualifications is accepted by most people as fine, saying "I hate it" without explaining why is generally looked down upon. Lots of different reasons for this, but it's expected that if someone doesn't like something they have reasons why, which generates conversation. And of course disagreement when people who do like that thing get involved. It's pretty normal and expected, and not actually a bad thing in fact.

Back to the topic, there definitely are people who like cheating and NTR stories, and at least in the former case stories are often morally grey. It's hard to say "cheating is wrong 100% of the time" particularly in fiction, and people are going to bring different perspectives to the table and so the threads get longer with stuff like that.

Wasn't really implying it should be controversial either, some people just dont like things and that's fine, OP just asked why cheating and NTR (something that is well known to be an extremely unpopular niche) gets more posts in general so I just gave the most factually correct answer.

Anyway on topic while there are people who like this stuff I still think that from my experience it is heavily outweighed by the amount of people who just despise it enough to want to voice their distaste when it shows up and since this is a forum and not reddit everyone has the chance to voice that.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, I was agreeing with you, don't get me wrong. I just wanted riff on your initial comment a bit.

The "controversial" was aimed more at what you were responding to.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Thing about cheating is that despite internet culture discouraging empathy and actually caring about stuff, people can imagine (or in some cases remember) what it feels like to have that happen to them. It's unpleasant, and generally speaking people don't like to feel unpleasant things. Now since they're stories there's a little detachment that allows for discussing stuff like dramatic purpose and conflict and so forth, but most readers are going to focus on "this is a shitty thing to do". But as I mentioned earlier, it's not so clear-cut as one person being in the right and the other being in the wrong. Depending on the story, the one cheating might have more complicated motives, or the situation might not be what it seems at first glance. Maybe the one being cheated on is manipulative, or neglectful, or there are personal issues that either of them might have. Where things aren't so black-and-white, you tend to get long discussions.

Plus of course even if something is obviously terrible, there's always someone who will strenuously defend it.

As to NTR, I always see it as way more....awkward than regular cheating stories. Like an artificial setup that you'd hardly ever see in the real world. It's possible, but way less relatable. Going by the ones I've seen here, at least.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Do people secretely like these kinds of doujins? For as much hate as they get in the comments section I was surprised to see the two most popular ones currently (Obsessed and Scandal) both use cheating/NTR.

People, including me, spit their hatred on it because in addition to often being poorly done / bad-written, it's something almost everyone consciously hates.

However, if they are so popular, it's because lots of people have experienced cheating or NTR, whether it's on the cheater or the cheated on side; and thus they read this kind of stories because it sends them back to situations they've coped with, and they can empathize or relate with a character, have their heart twisted ect... To put it simply, it doesn't leave readers indifferent, and a majority unconsciously- if not likes, at least doesn't dislike these stories this much.

Personally speaking, I hate Netsuzou Trap because it's complete shit. There are lots of better, and several good or even great stories involving cheating / love triangle / ntr; don't know why people enjoy this one out of every other this much.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Imo NTR/Cheating/Love Triangles is a genre that needs to die. It's just really obnoxious to see character's split up because of some bullshit misunderstanding, Or the fact that our MC (or her girlfriend/Love interest) cheats on her partner with some other person then keeps it a secret. It's really just fucking atrocious to see it happen with character's we are supposed to root for. Or when our Main Couple's relationship is threatened by some bitchy character thats never been introduced before.

I got tired of Citrus because the drama got really old and it just felt like I was reading the same Volume over & over again, But at least that had some good characters like Yuzu so I'll give it that. I extremely dislike Netsuzou Trap because it pretty much has all the quality's of a shit Yuri: NTR, Love Triangles & Cheating. And some god forsaken Het to add insult to injury.

I'm also kind of displeased with the fact that's getting an anime adaption. But I'm not displeased with the fact it's getting an adaption because it has all of those shitty drama cliche's I mentioned, No here's why. The Anime Man
made a video talking about the future anime adaptions of Citrus & NTR
, He goes on and say's that we don't get enough Yuri in Anime and I agree with him 100% on that, he then says that these two adaptions are the first real Yuri anime and that other anime like Strawberry Panic, Marimite & Sasameki Koto aren't real yuri but rather should be known as "Shoujo Ai". Because Yuri focuses on the sexual aspect of the relationship instead of the romantic aspect. He say's that these two adaptions will make japan take Yuri more seriously........and that's where my displeasure with this adaption of NTR comes in.

Because while NTR is Yuri, It's tainted with shitty drama cliche's & Het. So when this adaption of NTR come's out, Japan will A) take a liking to it and will want to make more Yuri similar to NTR, Or B) Hate it and think that Yuri sucks & quit making Yuri altogether. I would fucking hate for either of those to happen. So I really dislike these crappy NTR/Cheating/Love Triangle bullshit & when I see it, It just tells me that the author can't write drama.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

You'd be surpsied by how much people like these tags in hentai.

People like that dark-edge feel/tone, like fueling a fetish.

last edited at Mar 8, 2017 7:28PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Because while NTR is Yuri, It's tainted with shitty drama cliche's & Het. So when this adaption of NTR come's out, Japan will A) take a liking to it and will want to make more Yuri similar to NTR, Or B) Hate it and think that Yuri sucks & quit making Yuri altogether. I would fucking hate for either of those to happen. So I really dislike these crappy NTR/Cheating/Love Triangle bullshit & when I see it, It just tells me that the author can't write drama.

now... I'm depressed...

b-but... what if... maybe... something thats actually good is picked to be adapted? maybe we will have 1 good one out of 10 shitty picks =/

last edited at Mar 8, 2017 7:33PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Just popping in to remind people that this isn't the place to vent about an anime or manga series you personally don't like, and doing so doesn't answer the OP's question in the first place. So take it to your Tumblr or whatever if you want to vent, that's what it's for.

As to the original question, the answer is yes. Also some people don't make a secret of it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.