Forum › Gone Home free this weekend. (Yes, FREE)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

Real spoilers, be warned.

Actually, I was hoping for and kind of expecting a good end. And of course at no point was it implied that anyone was suicidal and it wasn't that kind of game. And yet with what was being heard from the sister toward the end, I still half expected to find her corpse in the attic. I was super glad that wasn't the case and the sister found her happy end.

I think most people felt more or less the same way at that point. Even if it's a fairly cliche development and the outcome is to be expected they at least did a decent job at making that bit tense.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

Actually, I was hoping for and kind of expecting a good end. And of course at no point was it implied that anyone was suicidal and it wasn't that kind of game. And yet with what was being heard from the sister toward the end, I still half expected to find her corpse in the attic. I was super glad that wasn't the case and the sister found her happy end.

I think most people felt more or less the same way at that point. Even if it's a fairly cliche development and the outcome is to be expected they at least did a decent job at making that bit tense.

Well, it's kind of happy, but then you realize that both of them gave up their families and your sister probably gave up her dream of becoming a writer. So they did have to sacrifice in order to be together.

Plus, there's that whole side plot of your dad and uncle, and what happened between them that made your father obsessed with writing about someone who nobody would believe. Not to mention the uncle's eventual fate. Kind of a happy, or at least hopeful, ending for dad though.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

So I finished it. I have to say I never played one of those games before, but I did enjoy it. Most likely cos it was yuri, because nothing else really grabbed my attention. Maybe I'd got more from other stuff if my main reason to play it wasn't because it had yuri in it. Gathering pieces of info was pretty entertaining, though I have to say after a while it become a bit tedious. At first I was grabbing everything ready to discover some secrets, but sadly there was barely anything to discover this way except of things that were obvious. I know it might not exactly fit into story and it isn't that kind of game, but I wish there was more puzzles and things to discover by examining different objects. Also combining items and using item on item was really underused. Somewhere around middle point, I stopped bothering to pick up pens, pencils, glasses, soda cans and other stuff that was obviously not going to have anything. Also it might be kinda obvious, but game is not going to jumpscare you or anything, though the mood is definitely there.

BTW. One scene towards the end is a bit racy, so I don't know why this game isn't rated R, but I guess they thought nobody will notice it.

Alice Cheshire posted:

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

I did have thought that sis might commit suicide once or twice, but it was really brief and honestly, towards the end I was more suspecting to find her sleeping in the attic. I really thought MC will get to see her and maybe Lonnie at some point.

Nezchan posted:

Well, it's kind of happy, but then you realize that both of them gave up their families and your sister probably gave up her dream of becoming a writer. So they did have to sacrifice in order to be together.

I'm not sure if giving up their families is such a bad thing in their case. They both weren't really happy with them and especially Sam's parent didn't even accept their relationship. They will probably be better on their own. Only lose is Katie, but from the way this story is told I feel like she is totally cool with her sister and they will meet up one day and get back in touche. There is no reason why Sam can't still become a writer. All she has to do is write. It isn't like she has to finish school or something for it. If anything, it is Lonnie that give up her dream to be with Sam.

On the side not. I really liked how Katie didn't want to read Sam's note about her and Lonnie having hot lesbian sex xD

last edited at Nov 14, 2016 6:27PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

I'm not sure why she'd have to completely give up her dream. She may have to out it off for awhile but it's definitely something she can get back to later. I can't speak for other girl's family but the main character's sister's family seems likely to at least accept it eventually even if they disapprove of it. Especially if the main character is fine with it and shows her support.

Plus, there's that whole side plot of your dad and uncle, and what happened between them that made your father obsessed with writing about someone who nobody would believe. Not to mention the uncle's eventual fate. Kind of a happy, or at least hopeful, ending for dad though.

I remember there being a subplot with the dad but for the life of me I can't remember anything about an uncle. (I actually haven't played it in quite awhile myself.) I do agree that the bits of side plot are interesting though.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I remember there being a subplot with the dad but for the life of me I can't remember anything about an uncle. (I actually haven't played it in quite awhile myself.) I do agree that the bits of side plot are interesting though.

It's the uncle who willed your family the house. The implication is that he (likely sexually) abused the father when he was a child, and was later cut out of his life entirely, leading later to the father writing books about a man who no one believes. As for the uncle, he felt so guilty about it he became a recluse, and later a drug addict. He made one last effort to reconcile, but in the end died alone.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

There's also a non-plot-relevant suggestion that the reason for all the secret passages is that the house was involved in the liquor trade during prohibition.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

It's the uncle who willed your family the house. The implication is that he (likely sexually) abused the father when he was a child, and was later cut out of his life entirely, leading later to the father writing books about a man who no one believes. As for the uncle, he felt so guilty about it he became a recluse, and later a drug addict. He made one last effort to reconcile, but in the end died alone.

Huh, I think I missed a good chunk of that somehow. Either that or I forgot it because only parts of what you're saying sound familiar to me.

Nezchan posted:

There's also a non-plot-relevant suggestion that the reason for all the secret passages is that the house was involved in the liquor trade during prohibition.

That would explain a lot. Though I wonder how big of a deal Prohibition was here in Oregon. Basically everything I've ever personally heard about it always focuses on the SE US.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Actually if you listen to the developer commentary you'll know everything about the game. And the reason for those things is more simple than what you guys are explaining.

To reply you must either login or sign up.