Forum › Gone Home free this weekend. (Yes, FREE)

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Yuri?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yuri?

Go find out. It doesn't cost you a penny (although if you choose to pay on itch, all proceeds are going to Lambda Legal).

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Yuri?

Go find out. It doesn't cost you a penny (although if you choose to pay on itch, all proceeds are going to Lambda Legal).

Can't you be a little nicer? "Go find out" -_-

There are many free games on Steam too but very few are good. I know shouldn't be complaining about free just wanted to make my doubts clear.

Lambda Legal, huh? Will see it.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Yuri?

Can't you be a little nicer? "Go find out" -_-

There are many free games on Steam too but very few are good. I know shouldn't be complaining about free just wanted to make my doubts clear.

Lambda Legal, huh? Will see it.

It is yuri and it's absolutely worth it, more than any LN out there.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm sorry about stupid question, but I never used the itch.io before and I have no clue how it works. Do I just need to download it and it will work fine or I need to create account and claim it now, cos if I don't, once the promotion is over I won't be able to play it anymore? Or do I need account to play it in the first place?

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I downloaded it on my G3 connection which took 3 or 4 hours.

I tried to install it on my Windows 7 laptop; it hangs up and when I get any response at all, it talks about to many 16 bit files open in other programs and increasing the FILES in config.sys.

I tried installing it on my old Windows XP desktop. it installed but when I ran it, it immediately erred out saying "GoneHome32.exe - Entry Point Not Found" "The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

Does anyone have any idea how I can get it to work on one of these machines?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nevri posted:

I'm sorry about stupid question, but I never used the itch.io before and I have no clue how it works. Do I just need to download it and it will work fine or I need to create account and claim it now, cos if I don't, once the promotion is over I won't be able to play it anymore? Or do I need account to play it in the first place?

I don't think you need an account to get it unless they changed that at some point. And you should be able to continue downloading it since the download link can be sent to your email. However it's best to make an account just to be safe. (And if it still works like it did when I made my account you should be able to migrate stuff from your email to your account if you get stuff before making an account.)

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

I downloaded it on my G3 connection which took 3 or 4 hours.

I tried to install it on my Windows 7 laptop; it hangs up and when I get any response at all, it talks about to many 16 bit files open in other programs and increasing the FILES in config.sys.

I tried installing it on my old Windows XP desktop. it installed but when I ran it, it immediately erred out saying "GoneHome32.exe - Entry Point Not Found" "The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

Does anyone have any idea how I can get it to work on one of these machines?

I have no idea what the Windows 7 issue is since 16-bit programs shouldn't even be relevant for Gone Home. Are you running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 on that laptop? If so it could just mean that you have too many background processes running for the game to be able to run. Not entirely sure what the one for your XP desktop is since the game can run on XP SP2. If your computer isn't running SP2 or SP3 that might explain it though, in which case you'd need to update Windows for it to run on that one.

last edited at Nov 12, 2016 8:32PM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I have no idea what the Windows 7 issue is since 16-bit programs shouldn't even be relevant for Gone Home. Are you running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 on that laptop? If so it could just mean that you have too many background processes running for the game to be able to run.

It's a 64-bit version. It's an old computer and has a ton of background threads most of which I don't know what they are.
The game doesn't even start to install, it hangs up until I try to reboot, then it gives the error message I mentioned above.

Not entirely sure what the one for your XP desktop is since the game can run on XP SP2. If your computer isn't running SP2 or SP3 that might explain it though, in which case you'd need to update Windows for it to run on that one.

Ah, I forgot! I'm running SP1 since my old copy of Starship Titanica won't run on service pack 3. Guess I'll try reinstalling it if I can find where I put that download. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

It's a 64-bit version. It's an old computer and has a ton of background threads most of which I don't know what they are.
The game doesn't even start to install, it hangs up until I try to reboot, then it gives the error message I mentioned above.

Well that's even stranger then. 16-bit programs can't run on 64-bit Windows to begin with. They have to be emulated and 64-bit Windows drops 16-bit emulation support in favor of 32-bit emulation support since that's more relevant. So I really have no idea what's up with that one.

Ah, I forgot! I'm running SP1 since my old copy of Starship Titanica won't run on service pack 3. Guess I'll try reinstalling it if I can find where I put that download. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Hopefully that'll fix it so you can play then.

Edit: After a bit of looking around it does seem like there can be issues with 64-bit Windows and errors like the one you had. ( http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/272691-16-bits-program-error-message-64-bits-w7.html ) Can't find much on what exactly causes it though and the fix in that thread may not necessarily fix the problem for you either. I've seen the same solution in several places so far and some of them have reported the fix working for a few days then coming back.

last edited at Nov 12, 2016 9:18PM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I got SP3 reinstalled on my XP machine and reinstalled GoneHome. Now it runs... but it just gives me a blank screen with a mouse pointer. And Starship Titanic won't work even in compatibility mode. Oh well.

Is that windows pc repair tool that forum points to really ok to run? I've always avoided random software packages claiming to repair or update your computer on the grounds that they were sketchy, and instead relied on automatic updates and restore points.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

I got SP3 reinstalled on my XP machine and reinstalled GoneHome. Now it runs... but it just gives me a blank screen with a mouse pointer. And Starship Titanic won't work even in compatibility mode. Oh well.

Is that windows pc repair tool that forum points to really ok to run? I've always avoided random software packages claiming to repair or update your computer on the grounds that they were sketchy, and instead relied on automatic updates and restore points.

Well that's unfortunate. You might need to try updating your graphics drivers and reinstalling the game if it still doesn't work.

And I don't see a pc repair tool on that link so it's probably an ad. (Unless I'm just overlooking something really blatant.) Sevenforums, however, is a decently reputable site as far as I'm aware. I find their problem-solving threads to be far more useful than the ones on Microsoft's own site since these people actually try to give useful answers rather than the typical "reinstall Windows/run X utility you've probably already run or is blatantly not going to fix it/etc." answers you find on their site.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

The only fix I saw was

16-bits program error message in 64-bits W7...
Recommended Fix: Download Here

And it points to that windows pc repair tool. Am I overlooking something?

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I still don't know what's going on with my old XP, but here's the update on my Windows 7 laptop.

I rebooted the machine, then tried to run the setup again. After it just sat there with the hour glass again for a while just like before, I left it to it and started looking at other things on the net. Then, several minutes later, setup finally started running and properly installed the game.

So the game finally seems to be working properly on my laptop; thanks for all the help and sorry for all the trouble. I'll post something about my impressions of the game later.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

The only fix I saw was

16-bits program error message in 64-bits W7...
Recommended Fix: Download Here

And it points to that windows pc repair tool. Am I overlooking something?

There's a fix in the first post:

While Windows 7 64-bit does not have a "config.sys" file, one has been added to "C:\" that contains:
Files=130
Buffers=1000

though to be fair they worded things strangely.

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

I still don't know what's going on with my old XP, but here's the update on my Windows 7 laptop.

I rebooted the machine, then tried to run the setup again. After it just sat there with the hour glass again for a while just like before, I left it to it and started looking at other things on the net. Then, several minutes later, setup finally started running and properly installed the game.

So the game finally seems to be working properly on my laptop; thanks for all the help and sorry for all the trouble. I'll post something about my impressions of the game later.

Well that's good at least. Hopefully you find the game worth the trouble.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Yes the game is interesting, very immersive. And it does seem to be Yuri. I'm only part way through it so I'll say more later.

And then I suffered another duh moment. I said my desktop is old, but this from a lady who remembers pagers and car phones and suitcase computers. It's around 13 or 14 years old and low end when I bought it. It's got the 2 GHz speed and now at least XP SP2, but memory? It has 512 megs if I remember right and the game wants 2 gigs. It'd be surprising if it did run right! (Self slap to forehead.) When I looked at the requirements, I said "my laptop has that" and put them out of mind. Then I decided to try it on my old desktop and never even considered them again. (Harder self slap to forehead.)

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

I don't think you need an account to get it unless they changed that at some point. And you should be able to continue downloading it since the download link can be sent to your email. However it's best to make an account just to be safe. (And if it still works like it did when I made my account you should be able to migrate stuff from your email to your account if you get stuff before making an account.)

I downloaded it and installed alright. Running the game first time was a bit laggy, but as it turns out, it was because game was set to highest settings by default and my laptop is old and not really powerful. It seems much better after I lowered the settings but I still feel like my machine is just not good enough for any current games anymore... Also I really wish there was setting for changing mouse sensitivity, because it moves way too fast for my taste.

I guess game stopping working after the promotion ends is unlikely, but maybe making account just in case won't be a bad idea.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Alice Cheshire posted:

I downloaded it and installed alright. Running the game first time was a bit laggy, but as it turns out, it was because game was set to highest settings by default and my laptop is old and not really powerful. It seems much better after I lowered the settings but I still feel like my machine is just not good enough for any current games anymore... Also I really wish there was setting for changing mouse sensitivity, because it moves way too fast for my taste.

I guess game stopping working after the promotion ends is unlikely, but maybe making account just in case won't be a bad idea.

The developer's Twitter stated they made the game free because there was entirely too much depressing stuff going on this week, what with the election in the US and all. Not to mention, the game's been around quite a while and they're about to release their new game, Tacoma, in a couple of months so it's smart to have goodwill among players.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

The developer's Twitter stated they made the game free because there was entirely too much depressing stuff going on this week, what with the election in the US and all. Not to mention, the game's been around quite a while and they're about to release their new game, Tacoma, in a couple of months so it's smart to have goodwill among players.

Oh, they've actually been working on another game? I hadn't heard of that until just now. Also Tacoma sounds like a really uncreative name for a game by a Portland-based developer.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

Oh, they've actually been working on another game? I hadn't heard of that until just now. Also Tacoma sounds like a really uncreative name for a game by a Portland-based developer.

It actually takes place on a space station and has a couple of really interesting mechanics. The ability to switch between floor and ceiling, and the ability to replay scenes that took place on the station and follow people as they go into different areas. The trailers look good so far, so I'm really hopeful.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Yes the weekends about over, but I finally finished playing through the game once and here's my comment.

It is a powerful and evocative game and I highly recommend it. As you search the house and find out more and more it becomes ever more involving. The yuri element, largely hidden at first, slowly becomes more apparent till you reach a point and a note in a hidden cubby that brings it out into the open. As you continue to search the house and piece things together, the good and the bad hit you with ever more power until you reach the unexpected but apparently good conclusion.

If you haven't done it yet and it's not to late, go ahead and download a copy.

last edited at Nov 13, 2016 10:50PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yes the weekends about over, but I finally finished playing through the game once and here's my comment.

It is a powerful and evocative game and I highly recommend it. As you search the house and find out more and more it becomes ever more involving. The yuri element, largely hidden at first, slowly becomes more apparent till you reach a point and a note in a hidden cubby that brings it out into the open. As you continue to search the house and piece things together, the good and the bad hit you with ever more power until you reach the unexpected but apparently good conclusion.

If you haven't done it yet and it's not to late, go ahead and download a copy.

And with a bit of detective work, you learn about some interesting side plots about other members of your family.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Also, if you're into 90's Riot Grrl music, there's loads of authentic tracks to be found.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Also, if you're into 90's Riot Grrl music, there's loads of authentic tracks to be found.

Every time you see a tape player, look around. There's going to be a cassette tape somewhere nearby with some on it.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Real spoilers, be warned.

Actually, I was hoping for and kind of expecting a good end. And of course at no point was it implied that anyone was suicidal and it wasn't that kind of game. And yet with what was being heard from the sister toward the end, I still half expected to find her corpse in the attic. I was super glad that wasn't the case and the sister found her happy end.

To reply you must either login or sign up.