Forum › Posts by sachii

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

(Although I didn't go to highschool in japan I came from one in asia, which I'd rather keep private) and in my experience, it is a lot stricter than ones I see here in the west, for one, hair ties and jackets have color restrictions (we were only allowed to wear navy blue, white, brown and black) we weren't allowed to wear loose socks, gadgets were confiscated if brought inside school grounds, we weren't allowed to bring non-academic books, or add accessories to our bags that stood out, or have jewelry,
uniforms had to be worn properly, I forgot to wear my school ribbon once (I was new so I didn't know how bad that was) and a friend of mine ran from the 4th floor down to the school shop to get me one before the homeroom advisor came. We were also not allowed to go anywhere after school except straight home, I remember having gone to the mall in my uniform to buy art supplies and seeing a teacher walking around, I had to take out my school badge and hair tie and wear the pink sweater (I kept inside my bag) on my way out (I don't know how good that did me anyways considering the uniform was a Persian blue jumper skirt and was hardly easy camouflage), there was also a rule about wearing perfume, I remember being called into the principal's office after a teacher mistook my scented lotion for perfume because it was too noticeable. it never felt strange to me until I got to uni though and was surprised with the amount of freedom we were given.

last edited at Jul 2, 2015 5:40PM

sachii
Cocytus discussion 06 Jun 15:23
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Don't know how this will play out, hopefully not as fast paced as the author's other series but it looks like it's going to be interesting.

sachii
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Seems like the first time Nishi Uko's writing a story within this age range (It sort of doesn't feel like a high school story either way) but I'm glad to see her branching out. Will be looking forward to this!

sachii
Philosophia discussion 24 May 18:56
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

This final chapter is such an incoherent mess it's not even funny. I WTFed at the whole pimp thing, rolled my eyes at her sudden offscreen death and outright facepalmed at the substitute sibling appearing years later.

What a complete train wreck.

You said everything I wanted to say perfectly.

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Aw jeez are we arguing about a car in a garage now?

Hahaha. But seriously, no. The car is already out if the garage.

Only just for a while, I was being a butt, an incredibly ambiguous and highly confusing butt. I've got more car knowledge out of it though so I'm thankful to everyone who got mixed into it along the way. And yes, it's out now and being driven to No-rae's home town as we speak.

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

It's becoming more apparent to me that people are finding my obliviousness to this information incredulous, so I'll put things into better context.
I grew up in a country where (speaking only observationally as I have recently left and now live in the west) cars were older models (as I do not see them here), and now speaking personally, broke down when left in the garage for 3 months (or is the case for my dad's car back home) I GENUINELY was asking given that I am not Korean and have no idea how cars there are treated, function, and work. Also, cars were never just 'around' where I come from. A middle class family would have one, which was the parent's car, the adult children don't unless you were incredibly wealthy (my cousin who's lived here all her life find it strange for me, a 22 year old, to not have a license even, which is common from where I'm from). I'm new to even seeing convertibles I'm sorry if it offends you all for me to have thought it strange and device-like.

You should have mentioned your background as a justification for why you thought the car in garage thing was weird. So now people can actually understand why you're saying that. The first thing you said wasn't, "Hey how do cars work in Korea? Could someone explain? insert backstory here", it was about how having a car so readily available was too convenient for the plot/not realistic based on your own personal, one of a kind experience.

But in most first world countries (not just Korea), having a car isn't that big of a deal. I mean, if you've ever seen or been to a modern city, I would assume it's not that difficult to figure out that cars aren't a rarity.

I was actually hoping I wouldn't have to, my original post only contained this regarding the car:
"And I don't know much about cars but is it normal for ones in storage for so long to have gas?"

only when someone had found it strange did I elaborate that I thought it was device-like and had been therefor prompted into asking about it, which of course was quickly resolved when they answered that it was not weird and that it was not left in storage uncared for as I had previously thought.

I do however feel that I've caused a lot of strange and unnecessary confusion for being so cryptic which I honestly apologize for. This was a very weird experience indeed.

last edited at Apr 20, 2015 6:50PM

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

So ridiculous with some of the nitpicking this story gets. A car in a garage that still works AND has gas in it? That's impossible! There she goes again with the deus ex machina. What a hack this writer is. She should've at least shown Seol-a going to the gas station to fill up!

Whoa, watch out, next thing you know, people will be saying cell phones are contrived plot devices because Seol-a oh-so-conveniently called Hee-jin for No-rae's address.

Just lay back and enjoy the story y'all. Coincidences happen and people have modern technology. Amazing, isn't it?

Most people I know keep their cars parked in the garage when they're not driving them, but that doesn't mean they don't ever use them. I don't know where people got the idea that garage = ancient heap of rust never to be driven again.

It's becoming more apparent to me that people are finding my obliviousness to this information incredulous, so I'll put things into better context.
I grew up in a country where (speaking only observationally as I have recently left and now live in the west) cars were older models (as I do not see them here), and now speaking personally, broke down when left in the garage for 3 months (or is the case for my dad's car back home) I GENUINELY was asking given that I am not Korean and have no idea how cars there are treated, function, and work. Also, cars were never just 'around' where I come from. A middle class family would have one, which was the parent's car, the adult children don't unless you were incredibly wealthy (my cousin who's lived here all her life find it strange for me, a 22 year old, to not have a license even, which is common from where I'm from). I'm new to even seeing convertibles I'm sorry if it offends you all for me to have thought it strange and device-like.

last edited at Apr 20, 2015 6:13PM

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

So ridiculous with some of the nitpicking this story gets. A car in a garage that still works AND has gas in it? That's impossible! There she goes again with the deus ex machina. What a hack this writer is. She should've at least shown Seol-a going to the gas station to fill up!

It was fine with me for you to not want the criticism, I understand that but please don't put words in my mouth.

I was inquiring about the direction she went with a part of the story (which was already recently resolved) not attacking her as a writer. (If you view my previous comments you wouldn't even see me saying anything about the writer herself)

There is a definite difference between critiquing a story for what it is and critiquing a person for who they are.

Also, that's oddly a very disproportionate amount of animosity towards a simple question.
Genuinely asking if 'having gas in a (to my previously erroneous understanding) stored car is normal' to be seen as 'ridiculous nitpicking' Is like being called obnoxious for not knowing if wifi synced automatically.

last edited at Apr 20, 2015 4:06PM

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

sachii

Yes I do understand the car has little to do with the story as it's only a device to further it along (as it obviously enables Seol-a to follow) but given it was in her garage since her brother left the apartment for her to make use of, you can approximate it's inactivity for months and I don't know but it completely took me out of the story as it seems to have been way too convenient for it to be there and still work. It's a bit contrived, and I know this is far from a realistic story in any case but I wish there was more solidity to the story telling than just conveniently having things appear and be utilized when the situation calls for it. As this is a slice of life drama romance, I was not prepared for having to suspend my disbelief. My question was more so that I do in fact, find confidence in this choice of moving the narrative.

Haha actually my family keeps a ridiculously expensive car in our garage, and we only (literally) use it about three to four times a year (just because it's so expensive). Gas doesn't suddenly evaporate or anything, if the tank is sealed, and the worse thing that can happen is that the battery needs a jump (but that has never happened to us). I don't see why this would vary between luxury and normal cars (and Seol-a family is really rich right? It's probably luxury anyways). Even if it ever needs a jump, we keep a battery pack lying around just in case. No reason to assume that they don't have one either.

Hahaha although I wasn't thinking it would evaporate, the thought was kind of funny and I see why my question may have ended up seeming so strange, I have very little knowledge of cars in general, I was actually sort of thinking maybe if it's been in the tank for too long certain problems like, leaking or what not may occur, but I suppose that might not be the case, but seol-a trying to jump the battery before following no-rae would make for a very funny side story if that indeed happen in-story. Thank you for the insights!

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

given it was in her garage

this is not given

since her brother left the apartment for her to make use of

Seol-a has three brothers. The one who used to live in the apartments she stays now is Hyeong-woo (re-read chapter 7 - Seol-a mentions that in her dialogue with Ji-hwan in the car). The one who gives her a visit in chapter 12, who No-rae mistakes for Seol-a's boyfriend, and the one whose car Seol-a's taking is Jin-woo. So I assumed she's taking the car from Jin-woo's garage.

Oh you're quite right! thank you, this makes a lot more sense, I find myself confused at times where the character's are as there is little emphasis on establishing the sets visually (which isn't necessarily a bad thing as the story is more focused on developing character relationships, but does in fact open up to a lot of misunderstandings) I had mis-identified the location in the last panel where the only background was glass doors of a very ambiguous design and had assumed it to be the entrance to her apartment.

last edited at Apr 20, 2015 12:16PM

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Sorry for the rant, but could you please use spoiler tags when discussing Octave? ty

And I don't know much about cars but is it normal for ones in storage for so long to have gas?
I'd say, gas is irrelevant for the story in the first case. Besides, just because it's in garage, doesn't mean it's completely out of use.

Yes I do understand the car has little to do with the story as it's only a device to further it along (as it obviously enables Seol-a to follow) but given it was in her garage since her brother left the apartment for her to make use of, you can approximate it's inactivity for months and I don't know but it completely took me out of the story as it seems to have been way too convenient for it to be there and still work. It's a bit contrived, and I know this is far from a realistic story in any case but I wish there was more solidity to the story telling than just conveniently having things appear and be utilized when the situation calls for it. As this is a slice of life drama romance, I was not prepared for having to suspend my disbelief. My question was more so that I do in fact, find confidence in this choice of moving the narrative.

last edited at Apr 20, 2015 11:04AM

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

UGH I'm friggin' stressed about this whole cat and mouse thing going on between them, I miss the happy cheerful No-rae, it's making me feel a lot more bitter with sunbae (sorry I forgot his name) from chapter 24 where he seem to have gotten to see her the last time she smiled so freely. And I don't know much about cars but is it normal for ones in storage for so long to have gas?

sachii
Milky discussion 17 Mar 10:14
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

I should have bypassed this one while doing my Amano rounds so I'm just sitting here whispering 'no...'

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Pardon me but where might I find the translation? :/

Oh! nevermind I found it! Thanks Halmoni!

last edited at Feb 22, 2015 11:27AM

sachii
Sleep discussion 22 Feb 00:04
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

I think the author/artist is Natsu Matsuri? I could be wrong but the art looks very similar

sachii
Baby You discussion 13 Feb 13:33
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Babyzoned

This made me laugh so hard, you get all the stars

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Oh my gosh, not to rush anyone but will chapter 19 be uploaded in google docs too? the link has a lot of pop ups on my computer, if anyone would I would be forever greatful!

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

I've also read plenty of other webtoons and I can say that the panel layout and the way speech bubbles are placed are sometimes confusing.

The art also suffers of "same face" making difficult to identify at first glance which character is which.

The terms are hard for me because they sound very similar to Korean names so, I get confused when the same term is used for other character.

I agree with you regarding the art suffering from same face syndrome but I think at best the two main characters are easy to identify .

Regarding speech bubbles, as a general rule in korean manhwa / webtoons you start from left to right like it is in the west, and you begin with the highest balloon and work your way down, if the characters are talking back and forth you follow the same rule but alternate between the two characters.

Here are a few respectful honorifics to get you started:

Noona -> "Older sister" usually used by males to refer to older females, not necessarily related to them (it's similar to the japanese Onee-chan)

Unni -> "Older sister" used by females to refer to older females, again blood relation not neccessary

Hyung -> "Older brother" used by males to refer to older males, follows the same rule as 'noona' (similar to the japanese "Onii-chan)

Oppa -> "Older brother" used by females to refer to older males, no blood relation required

Sunbae -> "Senior" used by both male and females to refer to people of higher position at work or school, (it's similar to the japanese "Sempai")

-nim -> I believe is sometimes added to Sunbae, it is a respectful honorific

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Is it just me or did Natsuki in page 17 turn completely 70s shojo manga?

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

This is an inquiry rather than a suggestion, I apologize for placing it here but would there be Frozen doujins to come or are you open to them being on here?

sachii
Happy End discussion 05 Mar 06:32
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Is it just me or has the story gone from angsty-incest drama to bad fanfic with an all-over the place story line in just one chapter?

I mean the beginning caught me off guard with the impulsive love making between the two sisters, but then right down the middle, conflict arise and then the author decides to deviate our attention to some random student x teacher that, not only comes out of nowhere, but does nothing to move the story along before throwing in the guy from the first chapter as a plot device at the most convenient time for even more unnecessary drama

I suppose rather than complain I should just drop this from my reading list. :/

last edited at Mar 5, 2014 6:33AM

sachii
Sen to Man discussion 27 Feb 06:28
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

Wow this is cute, I look forward to more chapters! and thank you for the upload dynasty staff! :)

sachii
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

These two have just become my biggest OTP. Such cuties XD

Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

These two are just absolutely adorable together! Thank you for all the Haruka X Chihaya uploads! :)

sachii
After Gold discussion 10 Feb 21:13
Icon
joined Jun 1, 2013

I think it's a rare case of 'flash forwarding' where we see Mokou finally understanding why autumn make people feel lonely. The story is non-linear if I'm not mistaken. Where the scenes with Keine being the present and the middle portion a few more years into the future.

last edited at Feb 10, 2014 9:17PM