Forum › Posts by astroboy

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

A rare manga with the 'tomboy secretly wants to be girly' trope (which is shitty imo but especially to see it in yuri...let women be butch/gnc in gay manga of all places ffs) that actually has a pretty sweet twist? Based as hell honestly.

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

This AU is a blessing.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Itou Hachi's work might be a bit formulaic but goddamn if oneeloli isn't cute as heck :^)

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Wait so their color changes after masturbation????

I don't believe this is how the body works. Sex and masturbation don't change the color/shape of the vagina permanently (though I think when it is aroused, it temporarily looks different due to increased vascular flow to the area), barring using anything traumatizing like the bristles of an electric toothbrush or weird creams/lotions/etc.

last edited at Dec 15, 2016 10:52AM

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

The 'rub a dub dub' thing is still stupid. As is the 'sex in my mouth' (I really, really doubt it's what she says).

Still more cute Shikinami is always nice.

It's a translator joke playing off that one fansub meme (you know the one). I think they thought more people would get it, as I remember in the discussions before a lot of people were confused and complaining about it.

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

I read the post on Cool's Pixiv page and I found out Youko has a Kansai accent. They never bother adapting those, do they.

(Incidentally, Momi uses a kind of barebones speech pattern that comes off as quiet and curt. Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh would use it too.)

I think it's that it's hard to localize something like that without it sounding really unnatural. I've seen scanlations where they substitute a Southern American accent for Kansai-ben and while I appreciate the effort, it also makes reading it kind of feel off. It's a sort of no-win situation, really.

As for Momi's speech, that should be a little easier to translate, but I think they did a good job of preserving it anyhow.

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

I'm not digging the sheer number of giant breasts in this one. Some variance would be nice. Seems like either laziness or pandering. At least they're not disgustingly oversized like in some series, but "giant tits the manga" isn't doing it for me.

Also the characters seem cookie cutter, but I was too busy ranting about boobs to mention.

This is like saying "I'm not digging the sheer number of lesbian couples in this one. Some variance would be nice. Seems like either laziness or pandering. At least they're not disgustingly gay like in some series, but "lesbians the manga" isn't doing it for me. Also the characters seem cookie cutter, but I was too busy ranting about lesbians to mention."

Personal preference != quality. The artist likes __, so they draw __. It's the first two chapters out, it gets published in a magazine on a weekly basis, we don't have much to go on so far and of course it'll be more rushed than Kobayashi-san (which I loved dearly, but comparing that with this is apples and oranges). Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that's a valid criticism.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

I was with it until Eli called Nozomi "Nozomi-san" the heck. She's never stuck a honorific after her name.

That's why Nozomi said her speech was off, lol

astroboy
Stretch discussion 15 Oct 21:43
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

The rushed ending might not have been the author's fault, in all fairness. I agree though, that it really is quite the shame. The buildup was fucking awesome, and then it tapered out. Hopefully there will be bonus chapters or something...

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

I'd have to agree with Orange, that and the "rub a dub dub thanks for the grub" seems like a continued reference.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Thank you so much, Habanero Scans. This series is amazing.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

don´t get me wrong it was nice yeahh. but why the Masturbation tag or did I miss something?

Unless I'm mistaken wasn't Kotori touching herself?

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Huh, an actually yuri chapter! Kinda, maybe in the future-ish. Also, I don't exactly understand what they were doing there, is it a cultural thing?

They're doing vocal training by reciting letters of the alphabet (sa, shi, su, se, so) for warmup in their drama club, the same way you'd do vocal warmups before recitations, singing, newscasting, etc.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

This art style speaks to me on spiritual levels.

Really? 'Cause this artist isn't even moderately popular on Pixiv.

Popularity =/= Quality.

Moonexplorers stuff is very cute, I'm glad he gave permission for his stuff. Cute RWBY yuri is cute~

I think it may have to do with the fact that the artist posts a lot of RWBY stuff. RWBY isn't very popular within Japan, if at all. I've never seen it myself, but I do believe that the show is animated in a 3d style and not translated into Japanese?

You would be correct. There is an unofficial Japanese translation in the making that's gotten quite far, though. http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/38705973
Considering that there's not really much of an official attempt to reach out to an international market by way of subbed/dubbed translations, there's a surprising amount of international fans (Taiwan, Korea, Japan, etc.). Kuma is from Taiwan, if I recall correctly. There's a prolific Japanese RWBY artist by the name of iesupa as well.

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Let's face it: very few Yuri manga/ DJ are realistic. Come on, would any sane couple do this at school, right by the staircase? Wait actually don't answer that, we've got a few bad asses here The fact of the matter is that the culture has somewhat been fabricated through this kind of media, which is, I think, where the "No means yes" notion came from. It's been over used so much to the point where when I see a Dj where "Yes" is written, I'm taken aback. Which is why I like Tima's work: no dialogue is written during the sex scenes, apeasing both the "Yes" and "No" factions.

At least in the high school I went to, there were couples who would get a little too touchy-feely on school grounds -- it's not that uncommon. That aside, this is a common setting for doujins (school/classrooms are unsurprisingly popular) and it's a fantasy.

the culture has somewhat been fabricated through this kind of media, which is, I think, where the "No means yes" notion came from.

If you're implying that the idea of "no means yes" in Japanese culture is something that came from doujins, you're severely, severely misinformed. It's a very prevalent element of Japanese culture that you'll see in other areas (for example, in Japanese culture many don't flat out say "no" to an offer, but instead will indirectly imply a no. Another example is when being offered something; they refuse the first two offers -- if a third offer is made, then you can accept). In terms of sex, if you've ever heard the phrase 「厭よ厭よも好きのうち。」 (or roughly translated, "'No, no' can also mean yes") it can help to understand some. While a cliched and controversial phrase, it is a part of understanding the role that phrases like {いや」 and 「だめ」 play in doujins, and why you hear it so often; innocence is a huge part of Japanese feminine idealism. If anyone's ever heard of idol scandals where the idol in question was accused of having a boyfriend or sleeping around, and seen the huge backlash that she gets for that (oftentimes having to quit her career), then that may provide help as well. A striking example is Minegishi MInami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minami_Minegishi), and perhaps another high profile case is Hirano Aya's. Innocence/purity is a major part of what makes of the "ideal" woman in Japanese culture and leads women to display shame/reluctance in regards to sex so as to maintain that image of "purity". The moral implications of that notwithstanding, it does make sense why you see it so much in doujins, and why it isn't really "rapey" in keeping with the culture the media is from.

Point is, the "no means yes" thing isn't something fabricated through media. It is a part of Japanese culture and language outside of the bedroom. It just happens to also play a part inside of it, too.

I'll repeat: Discussing problematic elements is not a judgment call on the media itself nor the people who consume it. It's about awareness and, although less so with this particular work as we can hardly influence the Japanese scene, hopefully about improving the general quality of media as a whole.

I can almost guarantee you no Japanese doujin artist/author is going to read the comments section of this site and decide to radically change Japanese culture. I agree that the discussion of "problematic" elements doesn't mean judgement, but at the same time, context is key. You have to remember that Japanese doujins aren't intended primarily for Western consumption, and that they're not targetting a Western audience. Why would they completely change the cultural context of their work for them, and why would a separate audience debase it? I'm not saying you can't find fault or disagreement with it, but at the same time, there's no need to imply that the removal of cultural context in Japanese works intended for Japanese audiences will "improve the general quality of media as a whole." Not only is that pretty insulting, it's narrow-minded. Having something agree with your moral compass =/= improving the entirety of a media.

astroboy
Cake discussion 03 Sep 20:07
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

This one was sad. Reminded me of growing up poor.

And he dad was such a passive aggressive jerk. You don't shit on your little kid telling you about their day like that! Also, what's wrong with carrying cake in a container? Why does the size matter if it's a paper box???

So many emotions, so little sense.

A relatively late reply, but I wanted to say that the girl's dad might've felt upset with himself for not being able to give her what she wanted. If you had someone you loved (be it your child or lover) and they came home happily talking about someone else and what they can do/are compared to you, it kind of hurts. As a provider, he might have felt inadequate, or at least unappreciated, and while it was cruel of him in a sense he is human too.

Also, I'd imagine it's just the expectation of seeing a box that big and finding only one cake inside. But yeah, I dunno.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Should there be a spoiler tag?

astroboy
Feel discussion 14 May 17:08
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Can I just poke the elephant and say these girls kinda look like men?

You're not off. I thought at first this might be by an artist who draws mostly yaoi or BL but the artist mostly does yuri, which throws me off. I don't really get why they look like men, but eh.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/inugami_san_and_nekoyama_san_ch03#7 Holy mother of god, that punchline is amazing. What was the original line like?

Translator posted on the In/u/gami thread:

It's 突っ込もうと振りかざした手の which is - more slavishly accurately - "My hand is raised to tsukkomi them", and that doesn't really read well in English. My other idea was "I'm ready to slap some sense into them", but I felt a more colourful term fit just as well.

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

of course, with a lot of ahegao as well.

What is ahegao?

It's basically like an o-face. Hate to link to Know Your Meme but here ya go, for reading: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ahegaokin-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%98%E9%A1%94%E8%8F%8C

astroboy
Citrus discussion 09 Apr 17:29
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Love triangle is meh and muh forced drama is also meh (then again, Citrus is 90% forced drama anyways) but goddamn if Matsuri isn't a likable character. Yes, she's got a lot of bad points, but at least now there's something instead of "I'll kiss you, but it's just a kiss between sisters!" and a ton of unnecessary angst.

So yes, two negatives make a positive :) Yay

Not all the time. As you said, -5 + -5 = -10. Two negatives subtracted from each other equals a positive, but not two negatives together in any way. To haphazardly say "two negatives make a positive" as an absolute is wholly incorrect, sadly. However, in the context of the reply you were replying to, Kyonne made a math (or word) error, and two negatives (subtracted from each other) makes a positive, yup.

last edited at Apr 9, 2014 5:30PM

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

I don't like this one thing, which means it's gross/creepy/no one else should.

I didn't get rapey vibes from it, just more molest-y ones. The "No"/"Don't" stuff is common in doujinshi/hentai/JAVs/anecdotally, rl Japanese sex as well. As for the squirting thing, I'm pretty sure she was peeing, not squirting.

astroboy
Earth Girls discussion 25 Jan 18:07
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

sadly a lot of yuri writers don't have a lot of imagination when it comes to making sex scenes that are different haha. always the same thing too! once they go down on the other it's always like, "no, it's dirty!" lol

The "no, it's dirty"/"no!" and "stop" during sex thing is something inherent in Japanese culture, so it sorta makes sense it's a thing in Japanese manga. Not the best source (or most official one), but if you've ever watched JAVs and the like you'll see it too (girls going いや or だめ!). This happens in yuri, het, and yaoi manga where there's sex, and it's there for a reason. Cleanliness is really important in the culture as well, and girls take showers before having sex (and after it). From http://www.quora.com/Japanese-language/Why-does-my-Japanese-girlfriend-say-dame-dame-when-shes-experiencing-sexual-pleasure:

In Japanese society, it has been widely believed that to be innocent is one of the appropriate [characteristics] for young ladies...it means "Yes", and the long version is "I am (trying to look like as if I am) too innocent to accept this kind of shameful situation!"

As for the lack of imagination, it's more of a lack of things to do. You could argue that toys could be used, but not all couples like toys, and unless they're into BDSM there's not much more to do. It's not like with a straight couple where you've got two sets of different goodies to play with; you've got two sets of the same in yuri. Not that it makes it worse or less interesting, but there's just less combinations for variation numerically, so of course there's less variation in general. Sex is really pretty much the same thing at its core anyway. Sex won't be the same every time, but it'll be pretty damn similar in terms of procedure, so expecting it to be completely different every time is unrealistic, unfair, and pretty unfounded.

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Do pages 10 and 11 belong at the beginning of the story? They seem to make more sense there.

The original Pixiv manga had them in those positions, so I presume not.

astroboy
Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

Thank you for the hard work in translating this series, it's quite something to see it completed. Wife and Wife forever!