Forum › Posts by SadDoctor

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

A sure sign that I've read way too much yuri drama was that I was genuinely surprised that they stuck together after high school. I was really expecting the relationship not to last like most yuri manga where they get separated after graduation.

It felt very purposeful in taking a lot of yuri tropes and undercutting them one by one with a specifically lesbian take.

She talks about previous same-sex crushes from a young age, and identifies herself as one of "them", instead of their romance being that standard yuri first crush where she learns about feelings in a safe penis-free space and then they graduate on to heterosexual dating.

People know she dated a girl before, and they connect that to her being gay, not just some sort of yuri schoolgirl thing not to be taken seriously. Being identified as a lesbian is something that complicates her relationship with others.

Ending specifically by saying yo, this is a real relationship that lasted, not just some schoolgirl stage. And communicating that to a younger generation of girl who herself is wondering if her own same-sex experiences are "real" or not.

SadDoctor
Anime season 20 Jan 01:41
joined Oct 5, 2016

One thing that is interesting with KnH is that
Despite Ecchan's kind of crappy ending later (although the manga's not finished yet, so maybe we'll see her again), Hanabi does find that she really likes having sex with Ecchan. She even thinks about how it feels better than when she's with Mugi, the male lead. Hanabi definitely comes across as finding out that she's bi, at least to me. It certainly goes faaar beyond any sort of mere yuri schoolgirl kissing.

So their breakup isn't because they're not sexually compatible, kind of the opposite - it's because in the end Hanabi is still not in love with her, she's just using her friend for sex, to feel desired and wanted, and she feels shitty doing that to someone she does care about, if not romantically. As far as who (if anyone) she actually ends up with, who knows, Hanabi is kinda fucked up.

last edited at Jan 20, 2017 1:43AM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Haha, yeah, I've skipped through the first two episodes now and like

There's not really any overt romance between them, but there's hella sexual tension. I doubt it's going anywhere but it's not just fans with yuri goggles either, it's pretty obviously being done on purpose.

I've always been a sucker for those rich girl / poor girl or mistress / servant type of relationships, will definitely check this out properly once I have some free time.

joined Oct 5, 2016

I can't find a stream for Night Life, but certainly from reading the dramabeans recaps it sure sounds like it's got some yuri overtones.

Less in the script itself, but that the two female leads perform it with a lot of sexual tension

SadDoctor
Anime season 18 Jan 03:08
joined Oct 5, 2016

Kuzu no Honkai started out OK, hopefully the anime smooths out some of the dumber chapters from the manga.

Judging by how explicit the sexual themes were in ep 1, they're definitely going to get to the bisexuality as well.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah it wanted me to download an executable and I was like ooooooh hohoho no, no I don't think so

joined Oct 5, 2016

I finally watched The Handmaiden and it was really amazing

Yeah, I watched it recently and it was really good. Both MCs were amazing! Even more surprising is that the maid was played by a rookie actress-it was her first movie, I think.

If you haven't seen it, I quite recommend also checking out the BBC adaptation of the same novel, "Fingersmith." Like most BBC shows it's easy to find on youtube.

Fingersmith is more reserved but also I think more intelligent with its use of sex, and there's more time spent on the twist and how it plays out compared to the movie.

I thought the Handmaiden cast was mostly more charismatic (with the exception of the uncle, who is Charles Dance in the BBC version!), and it smartly keeps the story focused just on the two female leads, whereas the BBC version (and I think the novel) gets a little distracted by a side character and it hurts its pacing.

On balance I like Handmaiden better, but there are aspects of Fingersmith that I liked a lot too. And it's different enough it's kind of interesting just to watch both to enjoy the differences.

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

The Last Of Us canon

Can The Last of Us really be called yuri? Sure, Ellie is gay/bi, but she's never seen with a GF in the game itself... I guess Left Behind would be more applicable though poor Riley bites the bullet.

The Last of Us DLC is helllla gay and very sweet.

It's The Last of Us, so it's also bittersweet as fuck obviously, just generally don't go anywhere near Last of Us if you're not ready to cry a bit. But it's real good.

I think the biggest thing with the DLC isn't just that it was a canon lesbian romance, it's that it was between two pretty young teenage girls. Adult same-sex romance is one thing, but you really don't usually see that sort of thing in American entertainment between kids.

joined Oct 5, 2016

The site's been slow for me for quite awhile. I just assumed it was my internet though because my isp is utterly worthless. Unless it's something like Google or Youtube it'll frequently take me 30+ seconds to load a page.

This's been my experience more often than not ever since I started using the site. Images load sloooooow, and sometimes I just can't use the site because it'll so often fail to load pages.

SadDoctor
Anime season 10 Jan 03:26
joined Oct 5, 2016

Yuri on Ice was fantastic, and it leaves absolutely no doubt at all that they are a romantic couple. It's not yaoi, it's a sports series where the romance plot just happens to be gay.

joined Oct 5, 2016

It's hard to understand. If the black-haired protagonist hasn't dropped the guy, that's surprising. If the grey-haired woman hasn't taken up with him, why would the BHP assaulting him "embarrass" her. And why would kissing the BHP be "revenge?" I agree with the guy, assaulting him was wrong, but she shouldn't keep him around, either.

It does kinda feel a bit rushed, the author plainly wants to kick the story into gear fast but it leaves us kinda guessing about a lot of stuff. Hopefully as the story continues it'll be able to slow down a little and flesh things out.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Damn, lets hope this is the last of the biphobia in this comment thread, I don't want to read any more comments like this. Pure lesbians lmao

No wanting hetero or bi relationships in your yuri story is not really biphobia.

Haha, this is such a "I'm not racist, but..." line

joined Oct 5, 2016

So Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan being displayed in the Yuri section of the bookstore wasn't a mistake...

Also, sadly they name some works that are must reads that haven't been translated yet, can't wait.

I think it's the opposite, how depressing would it be if we had already read all their recommended new titles?

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

Just saw an instagram video of a straight classmate from high school kissing her friend in exactly that fashion at the new years countdown. As much as I want more romance to be present in this series, you can't make any rash assumptions

Well, uh, considering the rest of the manga it's really not that rash of an assumption.

Mmm, I think quite a few of the girls seem like they're in more of a "just a stage", sexual exploration sort of relationships. Like, even the other characters seem to draw a distinction between what most of them have and then what Ai and Chie have.

SadDoctor
Octave discussion 02 Jan 16:36
joined Oct 5, 2016

Yukino gets waaaaay to much hate. The only thing I disliked about her was that time she Slept with that one guy and that's it. I don't really mind her. She isn't as mature as Setsuko Y'know. She's 18 ( which is the age when teens start doing shit they'll regret later in life ).

I didn't hate her for sleeping with the guy. Her entire conception of her self and her plans for the future were based on her assumption that she was straight. Like, even the fact that she's never really been attracted to men is just explained to her by Japan's cult of female purity, she just assumes that one day she'll meet her future boyfriend and everything will finally click into place.

Sleeping with the guy is a move of desperation, she's not attracted to him. But she's in a really bad place emotionally, and she basically tries to force herself heterosexual... And of course, it doesn't work. It's her lowest moment, but after that she does start to come to terms with herself.

It also kinda demonstrates her changing view of her relationship with Setsuko. When she has sex with the guy iirc she still hasn't really come to terms with them being a couple, in the same way that a man and woman would be a couple. Their relationship is kind of undefined and fleeting - at least to Yukino, who just can't really conceive of two women being a real couple, or of Setsuko being willing to commit in that way. So her sleeping with someone else, especially with a man, is not exactly cheating, because she doesn't know what Setsuko is to her, she doesn't think there's any future there. But later on Yukino does feel guilty over it, because now she thinks of their relationship as real, that they're a couple and that Yukino cheated.

SadDoctor
Anime season 29 Dec 01:10
joined Oct 5, 2016

So now that Flip Flappers is finished?

Does it yuri? Or just teasing? Or perhaps baiting?

Much of the show's symbolism suggests that Cocona has romantic feelings for Papika. Every non-yuri goggled review I have seen of the show acknowledges this. It all hinges on what happens in the last episode.

I think the trend of shows like Izetta where the driving force of the show is a clearly romantic relationship which is somehow never fully legitimized on screen is ridiculous (some people may disagree with me on that). I really hope Flip Flappers avoids that fate.

I hold out hope that this sort of thing is the baby steps that condition the audience to accept more from shows in the future. Even if that's not the case, Flip Flappers in particular seems very invested in presenting yuri tropes in a pretty fresh way, and not making fun of them in the process, so I'd call that progress in itself.

It definitely had two episodes that were a lot more... thematically clear? than most other anime yuri. Most traditional yuri, especially anime yuri, is basically just limited to either "girl on girl is hot" or "girls liking girls is cute and doesn't threaten the otaku's possessiveness of their waifus".

But between the Class-S yuri horror episode, and then the multiple Papika episode, it felt like it was regularly and purposefully presenting Cocona as a queer girl coming of age and struggling with her attractions. Both episodes tempt Cocona with what she wants - a romantic relationship with Papika - but only within limitations. In the yuri episode their relationship just keeps circling, lots of sexual tension but no chance of things ever actually advancing. And then the multiple Papika episode, where Cocona's offered a whole bunch of different relationships she could have with different Papika's, starting with a cute little sister, moving to a cute boy, and finally a female seductress. She turns down the seductress because she's not her Papika, not because she's female, and importantly when that Papika says that she likes Cocona, Cocona wants to know what kind of "like" she means.

That's the kind of follow up question that traditional yuri never, ever asks! It depends entirely on NOT asking that question - just like Hibike Euphonium this season, yuri will suggest romantic feelings but always end up keeping things ambivalent, always at a point where they can just say, "Oh, they're just really close friends." And it's exactly that ambivalence that Cocona keeps worrying about, that she's struggling with.

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

I'm usually more fond of the more political, outright lesbian yuri stories, cute girls blushing at each other gets fucking old after a while. And it feels like those are usually written by queer women.

Although I do have quite the fondness for Virgins Empire, and Kishi Torajima's works more generally. He's a funny mix of writing, on the one hand he's got blatant male gaze, and constant sexual objectification of his characters... And yet he can also write with a lot of sensitivity and empathy when he wants to, and he captures that nervously jokey teenage flirting as well as anyone.

joined Oct 5, 2016

It's an interesting setup, and I'm interested to see where the author takes this, but it kinda feels like it suffers from its short chapters. Especially the first chapter, they have to cram in the whole setup for the story and it just ends up coming across as a series of plot points getting rapidly ticked off, rather than being fueled organically by the character's decisions. Hopefully it slow down a bit and we start getting more characterization.

joined Oct 5, 2016

They should keep things like this for a while, I'm sad that they didn't show anything about Dva! she's just making comercials?

D.Va's all about gettin' paid

SadDoctor
Anime season 14 Dec 20:01
joined Oct 5, 2016

The thing that drives me nuts with this season is that Season 1 had already felt like it really, really moved past yuri-baiting. There's a sense of physical attraction and flirting that most yuri-bait shows never really have. The show has het folks having het romances, but Kumiko is never really part of that, and then Shuuichi exists pretty much only as a foil to show how uninterested Kumiko is in him and by contrast how she's very into Reina. He's into her, and so he invites her to the festival and to practice music with him. She declines both, and does them instead with Reina.

Right up until S2E1 the camera really follows Kumiko's eyes as she's obviously checking out Reina, everything is designed to be read as a romantic relationship. When they're alone together they're even more physically intimate, it's a great little suggestive detail that KyoAni didn't just add in on accident.

It also worked really well thematically. Kumiko's whole story arc is season 1 is rejecting just going along and fitting in with the group, to pursue what she wants even if it costs an upperclassman their seat in the band or causes hurt feelings. If you read Kumiko as gay, then she's undergoing a similar journey regarding her sexuality. Unlike a lot of All-Girls school yuri where homosexuality is kind of the only available flavor of romance, all of Kumiko's friends are straight, there's a boy who likes her, there's other straight couples in band. But instead of going along with all of that, she pursues Reina.

And then it suddenly just all stopped. Shots of Kumiko checking out Reina or vice versa were no longer used. It's not even a case of, "Just kidding it was bait all along!" They've completely changed how they portray their interactions and feelings from season one.

So what happened, did the publishers of the novel complain and tell them to stop making it so damn gay? Did KyoAni just lose their nerve or was there a staff change in season 2 who wanted to take things in a different direction? I really don't get it.

last edited at Dec 14, 2016 8:02PM

SadDoctor
Beloved. discussion 14 Dec 04:23
joined Oct 5, 2016

I dunno, I think the problem right now is that Wei Wei is just trying to enjoy her hot young girlfriend without actually making an emotional commitment to her. She's obviously been hurt pretty badly, she's at least partially in the closet, and her girlfriend broke up and married a man.

Her dating a kid just for fun isn't the way to resolve her pain, she needs to be able to actually have a real relationship, and from the last chapter it seems like she's still kind of avoiding getting too emotionally intimate with Ding Yi, even if maybe she's not even doing it consciously.

Plus of course Ding Yi's got her own shit going on, which we still know almost nothing about, but obviously she's keeping all of this a secret from her own family as well. She could very well be hoping that Wei Wei is going to take her away from her family.

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

I for one appreciate Bloom Into You's strong anti-girls-getting-hit-by-trains stance

But Touko's sister was japanese trucked :P

Hey the trucking industry employees a lot of people.

How would you like to tell those drivers' families that daddy doesn't have a job anymore just because he's been running over Japanese schoolgirls?

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

I for one appreciate Bloom Into You's strong anti-girls-getting-hit-by-trains stance

SadDoctor
joined Oct 5, 2016

I really like this chapter. It being about lesbians helps a lot.

For once, a lesbian couple.

Though it had to be the "horribly abused by ex-husband so turned gay" trope.

The older one may have been gay from the start eventually.

To be honest it sounded a lot more like the "married lesbian in the closet who finally became true to herself" than turning gay from abuse.

I'm leaning towards this, since the text implies a delay between her leaving her husband and meeting Kayo.

That and it said that even aside from the abuse, she never liked the sex--now maybe that's cause he was an abusive jerk, or maybe it's cause she wasn't actually into men (or both).

Anyway, for me the important thing is, it was a pretty sweet love story. Nice chapter.

Yeah, it seems silly to assume that the author is pulling out that sort of tired trope, when the series as a whole has been about a man coming out of the closet and getting divorced. He didn't suddenly get turned gay by his wife, either!

SadDoctor
It's Okay discussion 04 Dec 17:42
joined Oct 5, 2016

She has a real name, but Tomoko mentally dubbed her "Emoji" because her face looks like, well, an Emoji.