Forum › Posts by Rankarana

New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

in a series full of intensely powerful flirts i think the Taiwanese Director Gambit might be one of the best ones yet........... vive l'amour indeed!

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

will hijiri beat the smell allegations this chapter?!

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

YEAHHH JIRAIKEI GIRLS LINKING UP GL IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! v strong first chapter.

New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

This TL is driving me insane. I get that the bubbles might not be a great size but, Sexiled has an official English Light Novel. Tanya starts as a Mage, and becomes a Magi-Knight. Laplace was smeared as a Witch, but she’s the one who’s actually a Sorceress, and quite proud of that. Even the incantation for Explosion was off… this must be how angry people get when they’ve read a book before seeing the movie adaptation…

i mean the page literally says magisaber

and Laplace literally calls herself a witch

so i'm not sure what to do to comply with a TL that just changes terms tbh.....

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

A new translation of Octave could be cool, but to be honest, I mainly would like to see faster releases of So, Do You Want to Go Out, Or? The raws are at Chapter 58 or so.

different TLer so they have zero effect on each other, heh

New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

woah the GOT7 posters............. this needs a Bad End tag :x

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Im not sure i get it. I mean the overall story it was telling, and the point ?

What was the ending about? It feels like Im missing something more than it just stopping mid sentence without settling anything?

Right? I understood that she loved the girl even though she gets mad at her but it always seemed to cut off when it tried to explain why. Like when her train of thought stopped midway/at the ending when she's "grinning"

because yuma grins because she realises sakuma really DOES care about her and thinks about her a lot (making food for her, keeping her in mind for restaurants, showing her places she thinks yuma would like), she's just incredibly obnoxious about it

and yuma's gone from thinking 'haha did i fuck her to satisfy my ego' to '...no i really do love her'

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Regarding it wrapping up too neatly, and the happy ending falling outside of the range of tone the story offered up until now:

i REALLY loved this summary. genuinely cut to the heart of the story so well and nailed the themes.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

the most bizarre thing about this whole MIDORI'S BETRAYAL bs take is like......... did none of you say accidentally super hurtful stuff to your HS-age gfs/bfs. bc i know i did!! and had horrible things said to me! and you grow up and accept its bc teenagers are dumb.

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 22 Dec 19:25
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

I just receive my copy of the official release. Worth to mention it had an exclusive bonus chapter.

oh yeah i'll put this in future credits but we won't be TLing the volume-exclusive bonus stuff - so make sure you buy the official volumes for them bc they're really good!!

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

before people have the usual reaction: don't worry End isn't lame comphet for the main couple at all, his deal is entirely different and a lot more interesting

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Well, that's certainly far better than the kind of translators who honestly believe that it's not only their prerogative but obligation to strip everything remotely "foreign" from the material to be translated. My sole major reservation, however, is that this approach is quite vulnerable to the scanlator's subjective intrepretations of both the series and the audience.

I'd argue that any translated work is vulnerable to the former! As for the latter... this is pretty true. I normally use the Japanese audience as a baseline, though.

(Another important thing to bear in mind is that unofficial translations are ultimately that - unofficial. Claiming a fan translation to be the canonical expression of the authorial intent will almost never work out, because due to the grey market way in which a lot of these groups operate, they don't talk to the writers directly, and just have to intuit stuff off their interviews, twitter, comments, etc - if those even exist! As such, arguments about the quality of official translations aside, those have a higher chance of actually repping what the author means - and while it's good for unofficial TLs to strive to achieve that, they can ultimately only stab in the dark)

A more minor reservation is how jarring it can be to read two translated works by the same group whose translation styles look different enough that it's reasonable to assume they're done by entirely different translators.

to be fair, the source work is written by different people. if it feels like it's different rather than feeling like the same person wrote the dialogue, that's probably true to the text.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

I choose to mix up the localisation style based on the series and also the audience who might be reading it! Yuki is a historical manga with a heavy emphasis on place and time, and Still Sick, for another example, is heavily rooted in its analysis of yuri manga and Maekawa's formality, so it feels right yo utilise that. Conversely, Go Out has more of a mass-audience current-day feel, and will reach an audience outside of people who traditionally read yuri manga, so I wanted to make it more accessible.

(That being said, Go Out DOES use them less and in a less meaningful way, due to the setting and ages of characters.)

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

hi this wasn't done by SAD! this was done by Ranka Commissions

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

I really, really hate questioning translations, but I gotta know.... So, Japanese isn't always as clear on gender as English is. Does she actually reveal the gender of the person she's thinking about here, or is it ambiguous in the original?

She does! It's a very bold move on her part but because of how Japanese works, she has to literally say 'she's a woman', basically, so it's not ambiguous at all.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

i thought the gags were gonna be annoying but they ended up kinda cute.... lily mvp tho

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

yeah i thought the kids stuff was more for like, the 'oh, my god, i dont want this comphet' pressure

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

oh my god i COMPLTELY see shiina ringo meets hiratsuka raichou now. god. good call sanapomu

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

every single day, i really, REALLY wish i'd never translated the original oneshot

Not me, thank you for it. Seriously, this series has an audience. And I haven't given up hope for the mangaka's oriiginal plan to work out - in this modern environment it's probably quite wise. They have some of us hyped for following Saeko and Miwa's relationship as exes in a band.

oh me too absolutely! its just every SINGLE chapter people are like 'but will it be like the oneshot???' and its like... shhh.. follow it for what it is

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

every single day, i really, REALLY wish i'd never translated the original oneshot

New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Uh i just wonder bout the picture on credit page, is it from a manga?

It is! It's from Dark Forest, White Road, which you can also read on Dynasty. If you like this manga's vibe, DFWR has a similar atmosphere!

last edited at Jul 6, 2019 10:32AM

New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

its not that deep and nothing bad happens in the third volume either, its just "wow we both have mild PTSD and survivors guilt for being the only people left on earth"

Rankarana Uploader
Still Sick discussion 03 Jul 11:23
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

part of it is Akashi's writing style in parts (everyone talks very much like, uh.... a manga character, at times?) but yeah Shimizu's last bubble on the 'too calm' page is actually a typo and I'll see if I can push through a fix for that.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

ropponmatsu is a straight up queen and we salute

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

we get a lot more of ayano's thought processes next chapter, too