Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Bread & Butter

Salt & Pepper

Vanilla & Strawberry

Coconut & Lemon

Rivers & Valleys

Ooo, the potential... you can yurify everything.

last edited at Oct 1, 2018 5:35AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Hatshuharu posted:

What's the deal with the frog and salamander tho? Is it a story irl? Let's say I've forget some part of the story since it took a while for the new chapter to come out (not complaining), also my brain sucks. Somebody explain it to me please.

It's a classic of Japanese literature, often taught in school. "Salamander" by Masuji Ibuse.

It's a story about loneliness and depression, though there may be hope in companionship to alleviate it.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Serpente915 posted:

Itou hachi also drew loli bowsette, go look it up!

You lie, I can't find anything of sort, deliver it at once!

I found this: https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/414/950/22f.jpg

Not sure it's Itou Hachi though. But it's still loli bowsette.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I can reach a middle ground by saying that people can project whatever they want on Bowsette. To me, it's a female version of Bowser, as if it had always been a woman. If magic can change the outside, it can also change the inside.

Others project transgender issues on what is basically a spur-of-the-moment fanart that spun out of control on the Internet.

I can respect that and say that both ways of thinking are valid, since there's no real "author intention" here. Or rather, the intentions are multiple and proteiform.

last edited at Sep 29, 2018 12:28PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I mean, the metaphor about the Salamander and the Frog is that Koyuki was feeling lonely and Konatsu accepted to be her friend and to stay close to her to alleviate that loneliness. Like, a BFF.

No yuri. Still subtext.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The thing is... in the novel, the Salamander and the Frog don't date.

The Salamander imprisoned the Frog because it was feeling lonely, being unable to leave its cave.

In the end, the Frog can't leave, even if it wanted to, it accepted its fate. Somehow, they became friends.

Super Friends.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Mimiyaah posted:

Useless princess her name is Kurokawa... in Girl Friends it’s Kumakura ಠ_ಠ hmmmm

It's not an allusion to Girl Friends, sorry.

The word play on Kuro/Shiro has probably already been noted here before.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If you want to read a "realistic" story of genderswap, you can try "Shishunki Bitter Change". It tackles the issues you're talking about and it's actually a really depressing story.

But Bowsette is nothing like that. It's just a female version of Bowser with some Peach features. It's MAGIC ffs. Meaning that for all intent and purpose, Bowsette is a woman. Period.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I actually looked up "Salamander" by Asuji Ibuse and it's a really depressing story. It's a parabola about depression and loneliness actually.

The frog is trapped by the Salamander and is slowly dying.

It's about their acceptance of their fate: being trapped and dying.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Looks really good

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kaijuu_iro_no_shima_ch01#6
OH REALLY? Is this type of trolling ? Thank you author, but no.

I didn't understand your coment, care to elaborate?

I think it's because het

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The monster in "the hole" is a bear and is named Kumalia-sama.

Other than that, it's a good start.

And btw, this is not interracial. Some Japanese in the south islands have darker skin, but they are still Japanese. It's a common trope in manga: to draw someone from Okinawa or around there, they just add some darker skin, give them an accent and that's it.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

A magically transgendered character isn't possible in Nintendo's family oriented games.

They'll just smile and no comments if they are asked about it.

And just wait for it to die out, like most Internet crazes.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Lots of Blushing

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

More Gender Bender:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/413/555/693.jpg

This is getting out of hand!

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Is "she" still a "he"? Some part of my mind still consider this as het

Shut-Up! It's Magic!

She's obviously a complete woman.

Nya-chan
Nya-chan
Lily Marble discussion 26 Sep 04:30
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

My original feeling was that Hikari was victim blamed by some people around here.

I obviously want her to cross the imaginary line she drew between her and Moe, but I don't feel like she should be looked at with contempt just because she's mistaken in her relationship choices.

Nya-chan
Lily Marble discussion 25 Sep 16:25
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Even if cheating is wrong, it's not Hikari who does it.

And cheating isn't a crime in Japan. Killing or embezzling money are. Your examples are flawed.

Again, my point is, law represents the will of the society, so in my opinion, if there's no law against it, right or wrong is up to the individuals involved, not "society", or you.

Hikari doesn't "deserve to be punished", she didn't commit any crime. Even if the wife is hurt, she still didn't commit any crime. A mistake probably. The Manager is the one who broke the marriage contract, so he may be "punished" by getting an unwanted divorce and losing custody and he may "deserve" it, but Hikari can just walk away from the whole thing and she still doesn't have to answer to anyone. She didn't blackmail that guy into cheating.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Zero angst and "but we are both girls!".

Refreshing!

Nya-chan
Lily Marble discussion 25 Sep 07:08
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

You didn't get my point. You invoked the disapproval of "society" to invalidate any reason Hikari would be justified to get in an affair with a married man.

Who is that society that has the right to judge her reasons? Even Moe doesn't judge.

As for the wife, her hurting is, as far as we know, totally virtual: what she doesn't know doesn't hurt her (and obviously, the manager doesn't intend to divorce). If anyone is hurt here, it's Hikari herself, but since it's self-inflicted and she's an adult, you still don't have the right to judge.

My point is, Hikari has one or more reasons to be in that relationship. We may think she's mistaken and that she should get together with Moe, and were we her friends, we would probably advise her to break that relationship because it's actually hurtful to her (and possibly to the manager's wife). That's even what Moe tells her.

But you shouldn't judge her to be an horrible person just because her moral code isn't yours.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Blastaar posted:

The translation is: "First time I see you here," when the usual phrase would be, "First time I have seen you here."
Is there something about Japanese grammar that makes "I have seen" (or "I have never seen") a particularly tough one? Or is it a dialect or idiom of some kind?

Or it's a translator bias, because afaik, Lyendith is French and translates Ano Kiss to French, then to English.

And in French this sentence is usually full present tense, like, "c'est la première fois que je te vois ici", which literally translates as "It's the first time I see you here".

The English of a non native speaker is often better than a native speaker (uses more complex sentences), but also has sometimes a "different" way of speaking that gives him away.

last edited at Sep 24, 2018 3:47PM

Nya-chan
Yuri Moyou discussion 24 Sep 11:45
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Statistically, there is a non zero chance that 4 siblings are gay. Like if you launch a coin 100 times, it could give 100 times tail.

Only case I can think of off the bat, of two siblings being both lesbians are Tegan and Sara, but I'm sure there are more.

last edited at Sep 24, 2018 1:03PM

Nya-chan
Lily Marble discussion 24 Sep 11:33
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

johnb posted:

johnb posted:

Why do women let themselves get tangled up with married men!? It's not like there is a damn shortage of single men.

Because some women like the thrill of it, or "taking a man from another woman" reinforces their self-confidence about being better than others.

Or because not all women seek commitment (or are already committed) and having a married man is a way to lessen the possibility of him sticking to her.

Or because he seduced her and she hopes he will leave his wife for her.

There's plenty of valid reasons. But someone is probably bound to be hurt.

I'm not sure I'd call any of those reasons valid.

You're not them.

I'm not sure society would call those reasons valid.

The Almighty Society.

The same society that looks at homosexuality as deviant or immoral?

People invoking morality in order to condemn cheating creep me out.

You can condemn when someone is hurt, not when some highly subjective and abstract principle is bent.

These reasons could be valid for Hikari. It's enough for me. She doesn't need my approval. Nor yours.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

venom posted:

That was weird.

What's the point of going to school if you already have a stable job you enjoy?

some people just want to finish it/get a better education. My grandfather did that a few years ago and hes retired (i dont remember if it was highschool or collage though)

Sure... a retired grandfather attending high school.