Forum › Posts by Phil

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Should I wait for all three parts to be translated? I'm not quite sure if it's worth starting now and then having to wait and to read everything again because it's been forever.

Phil
Image Comments 24 Jan 07:23
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014
48069195_p0

I love this artist's work to bits.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

^ You're completely right. Ooi is pleasantly possessive in the anime. :3

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Do you per chance have a moment to talk about our third saviour couple, Tatsuta x Tenryuu?

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Protecting Mutsu from sudden impacts takes top priority!

But before Nagato-nee gets Mutsu back from the abyssal fleet, she should go fetch Kisaragi ;_;

Phil
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Does this author have a fetish for crushing Ovaries?

If only that was his only fetish.

fakeedit: Hm, Google suggests "bee stings" as a fetish. I'm awed!

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Hm, so this might even be an allegory for dementia and Alzheimer's instead of the usual discrimination interpretation of the zombie genre (at least that is supposedly what Night of the Living Dead was about).

The unstoppable and gradual deterioration of the mind is the most painful, from what I've experienced. That coupled with the odd lucid moments of the person in which they have the presence of mind to understand what is happening and the feeling of helplessness on the relatives' side.

Because the manga gives materialist explanations of what is happening, I don't think there is any hope of the process stopping by itself or reversing it. It should be even astounding Makoto is still doing somewhat well.

Phil
Image Comments 22 Jan 23:58
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=47623681

Can hardly wait for this one to be picked up!

Phil
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Please use == for spoilers. Sometimes people skim a text or just that one sentence catches their eye.

I too would be bummed if something major happened to one of the girls. Actually, I was on the edge of my seat in most of the chapters.

And it was great that a character who was dead early on played such an important role up to chapter 29. Goes to show how much work was put into coming up with the characters and their interactions.

last edited at Jan 22, 2015 11:54PM

Phil
Her World discussion 22 Jan 23:42
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

I always had the feeling that she very sneakily caught herself a devil, although she was still coping with her unrequited love. I liked the imagery, the use of the story within a story and the kinky aspect of it all.

Phil
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

I have a feeling Kurumi's still going to turn, that the "cure" was just a treatment.

Yes, too many mentions of her hand being cold :| And then she hid the gun from the rest. But Miki taking the gun from her could also have been important because Rii had shown signs of a mental breakdown and at least hinted at wanting to off herself.

It's really addictive. I meant to just read the first chapters, now I've read all the released chapters and the sun is coming up. I wasn't expecting anything at all, after reading the rest of HotD-manga just for completeness' sake. Good storytelling, choice of characters and both grim and hopeful.

The only thing that wasn't really clear to me was (should be around ch.22)
how Megu-nee actually got bitten. She is only shown bitten and I figure that is when they were still clearing the first or second floor. What door was she trying to get into when she was overwhelmed?

Nightmare fuel:
Megu-nee was still herself for quite some time after the zombie urges had kicked in. She probably even recognized Kurumi and had to witness herself biting her and dooming her. She never finds out Kurumi was saved. This probably means that there are millions of people trapped inside bodies which killed their loved ones. The same would hold true to Kei, who is now probably roaming the school and will eventually stumble across Miki's message on the blackboard.

last edited at Jan 22, 2015 11:54PM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

If someone has legitimately realized they've made a mistake and want to make up for it there is no reason to not allow them a chance other than to be petty.

It's perfectly fine to decide that enough is enough. None of us is entitled that someone else has to put up with us. Of course there are levels of relatedness which facilitate forgiveness, probably our friends and families. But as far as strangers are concerned or people who have harmed you, why not sever the ties? Asking for forgiveness can be an instrument to trap people in dependency (not saying this is necessarily the case here).

I really don't get how that's victim blaming at all. He's not saying she was at fault for it. He was saying that because she couldn't actually talk and because no one else was willing to use the notebook there was a huge lack of communication. It's clear he thinks that the classmates are the ones completely at fault for it. (And the teacher doesn't look to be remotely innocent either.)

Maybe I'm too picky about the actual wording, but I think it's important that any statement made depicts what actually happened. Her using a notebook and the class refusing to use it only resulted in what you said, a failure to communicate, which would have been fine to some degree and no one would have got hurt. It took a bit more cruelty on the classmates' half to gang up on her and the boy was who instigated that dynamic. Saying there was no communication remains on an observational level, but not enough to provide an explanation why everything got ugly.

The other statement doesn't account for the fact that she never hurt anybody. He was not hurt by her. They only people who put the hurt on others were him and his classmates on her and then later on his classmates mobbing him. And both situations were one-sided with one side hurting the other. There is nothing reciprocal about it as "We hurt each other" suggests. "We hurt you" would be a concession that is not self-exculpatory and I find it incredibly lachrymose to tell her that he, too, was hurt. At best that is totally uninteresting to her. Why should she care?

Of course it's important to state the failure the teacher is. Today's teacher training focuses on the aspect of "caring" as far as classroom management is concerned. Scandinavia is pretty good at choosing apt people for the job, Europe is catching up. A short Google search showed me that teacher training in Japan is actually highly selective, but maybe they apply the wrong kind of scrutiny? Interesting.

Phil
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

https://twitter.com/_fujio/status/555721306281238528

Probably not "soon", but at least "eventually".

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

As for men being portrayed as dangerous, uh, statistically, the world over, the number one threat to women is violence perpetrated by men.

I think statistics show the no.1 threat to women are their male intimate partners, male family members or male friends, which is mindbogglingly worse.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Because no one has stated it so far:

The manga is a built-up to the anime. But it kind of works both ways, you can read it after watching the anime or before. I was pleasantly surprised back then to find out there is the manga because I loved the characters and the art to bits.

The anime itself wasn't really good back then and hasn't aged well. It was pretty good with the sinister all-girls school episode, but whatever they tried to achieve with the ending is above my head. And then there was a surprise OVA four years later which wasn't really connected to the rest.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

I'm not too sure how to feel about the ending as I don't think the male MC learned anything from it and his explanation that everything happened because "You suffered because no one could hear your voice" and "All we did was hurt each other. We never used our voices." smacks of victim blaming as he turns her into the person who started it and from a victim to a culprit and himself into a victim of her actions. Especially the latter can only refer to her not picking up her soaked notebook, the abuse he suffered by the hands of his classmates and their fight in the hallway.

And then he has two emotional outbursts/over the top reactions over something she said years ago and the handshake and the author says that their "youthful days" had just begun and we were to cheer them on. I find that incredibly jarring with everything that happened before. I thought she would just leave and go on with her life. Also, I was confused where they met again. In highschool?

Fortunately, at least in the US and Europe, that level of bullying or mobbing is rare (having to do with awareness through the media, a concerted professional approach by the staff and closing power vacuums in the schools structure). The last case I saw was that a class decided to avoid an exchange student because they were immature and didn't know what they were missing out on by not experiencing something new. Having said that, anything that goes beyond theft, shunning, ridicule and lasts longer than a couple weeks or turns into fights that draw blood is incredibly rare, because it is hard to pull of for the bullies and there are simply not a lot of students who have the mental and developmental deficits to do it. Pull a prank that leaves the other person bloodied? You'll probably stop. Beat up a girl in a serious fight that you started? Well, there is probably something seriously wrong with you that won't disappear as you grow up and that requires therapy.

Is the series worth reading? I wouldn't really want to read this again drawn out to 60 chapters.

last edited at Jan 21, 2015 6:47AM

Phil
Maintenance discussion 19 Jan 11:22
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Never saw the innuendo attached to maintenance, but now I can't unsee it. I liked the mix of sweet, kinky and honest.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

What train scene? Go back to spoiler country already.

whistles the tune of Paint It Black

last edited at Jan 19, 2015 11:44AM

Phil
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

A story that is a nice change from the usual. Adult, kinky and existential.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Had the mangaka's tab open forever, reading this made me unable to postpone reading everything any longer.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Also also is Sakuya freaking out about the bread quality maybe a Yakitate! Japan joke?

Yep, thought so too.

Phil
Image Comments 19 Jan 05:40
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014
36564144_big_p13

You go, China!

Phil
Heartbeat discussion 18 Jan 19:28
2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

backs away slowly, then slow claps from afar

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Pretty cute and some references to be recognized. But leaves you hungry and craving for beer.

Also, farmer couple Yuugi and Parsee \o/

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Okay, that's weeks of repair for my nutbladder.