Forum › Posts by Nezchan

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Spoiler: Some idiot hits Cthulhu with a boat

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nah, talking about the actual author of the story you're reading isn't what I'd call off topic.

Nezchan, fair point, but when the people from the team who worked hard to bring this manga to us specifically ask us to talk about the manga itself and not start a debate on issues like real-life racism ― well, actually, I don't know what's your usual take on this, but... my own gut feeling is that it would be good etiquette to honor their wishes. Maybe it's just me...

I'll be honest, there's not too much else that can be discussed here. The art, maybe, but by this time and with all the exposure Lovecraft has had over the past century give or take, most people reading this are gonna be intimately familiar with the mythos and story already. So that leaves the fact that it's unexpected to see it here and the man himself, which I'm sure will pass after a bit.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Frankly, I don't think he was even that good a writer, given how overwrought his prose invariably was.

It's funny how overwrought his writing can be while also somehow not being descriptive enough: "The horrible thing is so horrible that I cannot describe its horribleness in words!"

I'm reminded in a way of E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series, which starts in the first book with ships that have unimaginable power that defies description, and then get more powerful in every book after that. Always made me laugh.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

So I finally sat down and read this, after planning to for quite a long while. I've seen people raving about it here in comments, and to some degree I can see why. There's some good stuff in there.

But holy crap, is it so melodramatic! Maybe it's a function of reading it all at once rather than as the chapters come out, but it feels like all the time one or the other of them says some little innocuous thing that's vaguely related to the brother, and everyone's doing a dramatic turn to the camera while the music goes DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!! And the endless angst about how the other person views them, or whether this is a normal reaction or what have you, and I can't see how they don't spend their time exhausted from all the worry.

Plus of course the continual romance-coding of their interactions, which is simultaneously really nice and a bit frustrating since it seems like it'll never, ever happen. I mean these two act more like a committed couple sometimes than the girls from A Room For Two, and that's really saying something. And I'm pretty sure the author is aware of how it looks, given they have characters within the story taking note of that dynamic.

Still, it's a good read for all of it.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

btw, I see an Algernon Blackwood quote there. I heartily recommend The Willows by him, which treads similar "dread of something unseen" ground as A Colour Out of Space, but is much better written. I read it recently and it's fantastic.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nah, talking about the actual author of the story you're reading isn't what I'd call off topic. Lovecraft wasn't really someone to be admired outside of his one stunning trick of founding a genre. Frankly, I don't think he was even that good a writer, given how overwrought his prose invariably was. But he did create a good universe, so props for that.

Nezchan Moderator
Image Comments 30 Dec 22:22
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
Ek8wqxju8aa9z7q-orig

Bugpope has been a member here since more than a year before BugDevil joined (July 2017 vs August 2018), so they apparently had astounding foresight.

last edited at Dec 30, 2019 10:23PM

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Having your sexuality woken up by Sailor Moon is fine.

Having your fashion sense woken up by Sailor Moon....that can be a big mistake.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nevri's right on this one. Dynasty has pretty consistently used the ecchi tag as basically NSFW-lite. It's stuff that's clearly meant to be lustful, or at least be seen that way by the audience, but doesn't cross over into nudity or clearly visible sex.

I don't see this policy changing any time soon.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Okay, Evitron and GaryHotSoup each get 30 days off for personal attacks. Calling people "pedo" is out of bounds unless you got some actual evidence, and liking a loli manga doesn't count.

That said, getting personal in the other direction is not acceptable either, and I'm seeing where a couple of people are skirting pretty close to that line. It'd be a good idea to not escalate further, k?

Nezchan Moderator
Image Comments 08 Dec 19:43
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
Tumblr_af7bf1c7bc52451c00bb337599c612c4_6fdfe0f5_1280

I did my due diligence and checked with the other mods, and none of them seem to have deleted any comments. Certainly I didn't since I was asleep through this whole mess, Pekoe's unavailable at the moment, and the others say they had nothing to do with it, assuming the comment was successfully posted in the first place. So no, nobody's trying to suppress your valuable contributions, and we can all move on now.

Nezchan Moderator
The Next Big Yuri? 01 Dec 08:53
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Shouldn't yuri have a queen rather than a king?

Or better yet, an empress?

Nezchan Moderator
Image Comments 27 Nov 20:02
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
Ata918

Given the rabbits hang out with one of the greatest scientists in history, I'm pretty sure they can work something out.

Plus in Yohane-world, it's all women anyway. So somebody must have figured out the trick a while back.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Mmm, I'm always up for some good NozoNico, and this is definitely it. The two of them compliment each other very well, what with Nozomi's ability to deflect or counter Nico's over the top aggressiveness, and Nico's underlying nurturing nature filling the gaps of long-neglected Nozomi. It's a good pairing.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

One more! It feels like that's all we need to get to the finish line.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Doesn't the name refer to comprehensive high schools, as opposed to schools specialized toward vocational study or academics or university admission? A comprehensive school would offer programs for all of those rather than focusing on just one.

Nezchan Moderator
Image Comments 19 Nov 22:58
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
Cr0g84jucaag0bm-orig

Dunno about teasing, Umi seems to be unusually into it.

Nezchan Moderator
YuriWhale discussion 18 Nov 20:45
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I always took YuriWhale as someone who is passionate and enthusiastic about lesbian sex, but has no idea how it works so they just kinda fake it. And it's that passion and enthusiasm that makes nobody really mind.

Nezchan Moderator
Image Comments 15 Nov 15:39
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
Ehy9xshu4aasffy-orig

No, just ignore each other from here on. There's no point in continuing any further.

Nezchan Moderator
Image Comments 11 Nov 13:41
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Dude, you're arguing with a joke from five years ago.

Nezchan Moderator
Image Comments 10 Nov 20:20
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012
58257074_p0

Mostafa Could you do me the favour of just editing your message when you want to add more material? I've been getting some complaints about having multiple posts in a row on images.

Nothing against the rules or anything, but it does make it easier to read things.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Vegeta would be more tsun about this.

Piccolo, then?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Should have been expected, really. Tadokoro does shonen manga. And what happens when you defeat an enemy in just about any shonen manga, assuming they aren't killed?

Well, we're lookin' at it.

So what you're saying is, Kiri is now Vegeta.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Should have been expected, really. Tadokoro does shonen manga. And what happens when you defeat an enemy in just about any shonen manga, assuming they aren't killed?

Well, we're lookin' at it.

Nezchan Moderator
Hahaha discussion 01 Nov 21:03
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hahaha?

Hahaha!