Forum › Posts by mccann

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

After reading to Chapter 5, I'm glad I ignored my gut that told me to quit on Chapter 1. The pacing was horrible, but the story Chapter 1 told has been done to death, so the subsequent chapters are more interesting.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

As for the maturity part, we're analyzing characters and themes here, not actual people. And the way that scene is framed among the other panels there, I think we're encouraged to judge the guy. It goes along with the title. Even though we're adults, we do X. Like the off-handed invites from person to person here in chapter 5 without thinking about the consequences at all and then just stumbling into a horrifying social situation.
It's probably a larger comment on this is what adults are actually like. I feel like we're encouraged to judge, and then it's up to us to question those assumptions. What does it mean to be responsible in these situations? For the waking up early stuff, is it an example of the guy being irresponsible or is it just part of his character? Is it bad? Does he change?

As for the sleeping in thing, I think more than judging him, it's supposed to give us insight into their marriage. They get along well, but all the romance is gone. It's like the rings that neither of them wear.

I agree with you about the title, and the bbq. Clearly no one wanted it to end up like that, but Akari impulsively agreed to go, then impulsively invited Aya, then impulsively invited the husband. Aya told him about it without thinking, and then he agreed because he's sort of in shock and isn't thinking clearly.

They seem like nice agreeable people, and being thoughtlessly agreeable seems to have caused them problems (probably more than just the BBQ, I think the having a kid thing too).

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

It's probably best read this just as an observer. Don't get caught into looking for guilty parties. Just enjoy the mess and be thankful it's not your own. :)

Sometimes it's nice to just experience a story without worrying about casting a judgement. These are characters, not real people, nobody's a real person actually getting hurt by anything that's happened in the story.

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I see Kase's request that Yamada not wear those clothes in fireworks festivals in Tokyo as possibly coming from a place of jealousy, but also coming from a place of concern. Yamada's shown herself to be naive about guys, in the chapter where they're at the swimming pool and the college men are trying to hit on her before Kase rescues her, she both misunderstands the situation, doesn't know how to handle it, and doesn't like it (https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch10_1#26). Kase is presented as much more worldly than Yamada, and thus is protective of her. But there are many ways to view it. I'm opting for Kase just giving advice to keep Yamada out of a situation Yamada would find awkward VS Kase is controlling.

Granted Kase's reaction isn't the most woke take about this type of situation (feelings of concern over a partner's attire), but this comic is meant to be lighthearted and fluffy - a romcom where the plot is driven by simple misunderstandings between well-meaning characters, not a treatise on healthy relationship dynamics between adults, frankly how little they honestly talk about what's bugging them would be a huge red flag in a real relationship (but it fuels most of the comics).

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I normally don't comment on NSFW stuff, but this was really sweet and cute.

mccann
Still Sick discussion 19 Jun 23:44
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

My wife asked for a copy of the image of the girl warning against "fresh and innovative" cooking :-) She's not a big manga fan.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I also subscribe to that "a job's a job" school of thought. More power to you if you have a passion, but I picked the most lucrative profession I could so I could go home and read manga/play video games on the weekends.

Ditto. My wife is more of the follow your passion type, and I've been the breadwinner for our entire relationship and she's constantly unhappy about how little she's able to contribute financially (I assure her it's no big deal, I mean we're a team, and we're comfortable, no sense in keeping score).

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I'm excited this series got a new release! I really like adult yuri!

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Man the art is really making me think of the original Sailor Moon anime, and a bit of Ranma, it has that 80s-90s quality to it that a lot of modern anime lack.

I don't mind the ending. It's the world we live in, if we jump into the first relationship option that presents itself, odds are it won't work out. Shrugs It's life, especially when you're new to dating. It takes a bit of experience to get to the point where you can weed out unsuitable partners quickly. Some people are lucky and run into their soulmate right away, the rest of us have to go through an awkward dating phase.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Not crazy about the art, and the execution was a little clumsy, but it's an interesting concept.

mccann
Yurigurashi discussion 06 Jan 22:55
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Are there any yuri manga where they're also parents? Closest thing I can remember are some Sailor Moon doujins.

The tag for science babies has some. Sailor moon doujins has some (with Neptune and Uranus parenting Saturn, mostly with Pluto helping out). One of the chapters of Sweet Guilty Love Bites has a single mom falling for a day care teacher. There's not a lot, but it exists.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I always smile when there's a new chapter in this series. This last one was especially sweet.

mccann
Their Story discussion 22 Dec 19:54
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I have lesbian relatives and none of their relationships are rosy/enviable like in these stories, especially the older ones. It’s just so much better in 2D.

I have straight relatives. A lot of them have crappy relationships, domestic abuse, divorce after having kids, have affairs, etc. I could easily say the same for straight relationships.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I liked it. Meeting people as an adult can be very hard in big cities.

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Also, I found something really interesting too: Skirts No Longer Mandatory For Girls’ Uniforms At A Japanese Middle School. Japan seems to be trying to break gender norms over the past years. "Taiyo Middle School, located in the Kanagawa Prefecture city of Hiratsuka, is notably breaking gender norms to make some progress when it comes to the official school unform. Now in its 71st year, the school will no longer require its female students to wear skirts. They will be able to choose between them or slack pants. The school also wants its female students to understand that the skirt will not be pushed on them as the main uniform–both options will be treated and weighted equally". This really makes me happy.

I went to a public High School that didn’t require uniforms. And I remember seeing the female Catholic School students wearing their uniform skirts in the depths of winter, even trudging through feet of snow. I figured their legs must be freezing and the requirement a bit cruel. I think they were allowed to wear tights in winter but tights don’t help to keep the cold out.

Apparently they weren’t even allowed to wear pants under their skirts just to stay warm while headed to school. And the skirts weren’t exactly long. About mid knee.

I was always glad the I could wear pants instead of a skirt no matter of gender norms for both comfort and personal preference. Glad to see at least one school allowing this.

Former Catholic school girl here. We wore plain black leggings under our skirts when it got cold out (close enough look to thick tights - the teacher's didn't care). Or snowpants over everything if we were outside for recess.

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

How can you find something annoying and cute at the same time...I think irritation sort of sucks the appeal out of something by definition...

Get married and/or live with someone. They'll both annoy you, and (hopefully) you'll still love them/appreciate things about them. I've been married going on ten years, my wife is still very cute, especially when gardening or doing something she's passionate about, but there are things about her that annoy me (for example, she leaves lights on all the time). :-)

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This is one of my favorite currently-being-translated stories. I like tough women and adult life. :-)

mccann
Earth Girls discussion 01 Nov 22:21
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Sex is wrong and you will go to hell for it

Is this a meme or something or just some random trying to troll?

It’s a troll. May the moderator gods strike trolls down.

That being said if sex was indeed wrong then we are all hellspawn and im ok with that.

Yeah.....I’m probably going there anyways. Same for a few others too...

Heaven is a daycare according to this person. Only 0.3% of people aged 40+ are virgins.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This takes me back to when I first was getting into yuri.

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Well, I'm glad everyone got a happy ending.

mccann
Lily Marble discussion 30 Aug 00:15
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I've read worse, but I feel that the premise is the most interesting part of this series (adults! with non-OL jobs! gym!).

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I like it. :3 us adults can be neurotic and cute too. Both characters are likeable enough altho the senpai is a bit of a mystery.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

;_; as soon as I saw the name ssamba I was afraid of that it wouldn't be good news. I enjoyed her work, not just for the LGBT content, but for the characters who were very fleshed out and had a genuine quality to them.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Saw "Pieta" and "sequel," almost slipped a disc.

Me too, doesn't seem to be related to the other Pieta. Too bad.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Because, realistically IT IS a parenthood lawsuit waiting to happen. And at the end they will have NO ONE but themselves to blame for coming up with such a dumbass idea.

It tends to happen only very rarely. Most donors, especially donors who have taken time to consider it who have talked with the mother about what donating means and doesn't mean, tend to be okay with the arrangement as it plays out. Most of the cases where custody is sued for involve a male donor related to the non-gestational mother and the mothers having gone through a rough breakup. I'm not saying there's a 0% chance, but from the looks of their arrangement, it's not likely. In the US, it's a bit different, we used a donor from a sperm bank because my wife would be considered the second parent by default, that's not an option in Japan.