Forum › Posts by Nezchan

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If you've got the file hosted somewhere, you should click on your name in the upper right corner of the page, and choose "Upload Request". Fill in all the blanks, if possible.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not sure how far in the future that is, but Rin growed up good.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Guess i should hold an apologize for the locking of the Childhood Friend Yuri(?) thread as I think i shouldn't have step out of my way to talk about matter that doesn't concerned me. I know now that i shouldn't talk lightly on delicate subject like Transgender and TERFs comments so i guess i would stop commentings on such subjects. I will honestly understand if i must face some consequences on any sorts.

Fair enough. We'll just move forward on that basis. Thanks for understanding.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Time to clarify some things

First of all, you’ll notice there are fewer comments than before. I have gone through the entire five pages (at the time) and removed all the transphobic comments, replies to same, and a bunch of meta stuff that didn’t have much directly to do with the story itself. This was clearly long overdue.

Secondly, I want to make it clear that transphobic content is not acceptable here for much the same reason you don’t dump raw sewage into your drinking water supply. We here at Dynasty Scans take a very dim view of transphobic material, particularly in light of the fact that a significant number of our readers are trans themselves. This is in line with my overall commenting philosophy of making this a welcoming and fun place to discuss manga for as many of the members as we can.

As such, we have actions at our disposal to take against people who simply can’t keep it to themselves. For a simple blazing hot take like “I don’t think this is real yuri”, a temporary ban is appropriate, particularly given how everyone involved knows what a charged topic this is and how common people going after trans-positive media across the internet in general.

For a diatribe about real world trans women not being able to be lesbians due to some grade-school understanding of science and culture, we as a group who run this site see that as a direct personal attack against our trans members and staff. As such, it will result in a permanent ban, not just in this discussion but anywhere on the site.

As to the people involved in the discussion today, I have already taken all the actions I intend to. Nothing further needs to be done, go about your business.

I trust all of this requires no further explanation. Please do not reply to this post and keep things on topic from here on. Thank you for understanding.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This is actually a parody, at least in part, of an old series called The Gutsy Frog which has very much the same setup. That's why Suwako is concerned about copyright on the second page.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Thank you as always, Nezchan, for being here for us.

I am the mod you deserve.

Which is kind of sad when you think about it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think we can leave the Kinsey thing there, since it's really a sideshow at best where the manga is concerned.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah as a fan of Urban Fantasy (which is almost-always also het romance) it's in basically every story with a female main character (and a good amount with a male main character) - you have the main love interest as someone who is super powerful and well-known, and all he wants is the MC.

God do you know how bad I'd love some good lesbian Urban Fantasy. That'd make my fucking year.

psst...*The Graveyard Sparrow* by Kayla Bashe

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Glad they remembered that, at least in the manga (and I think the game? it's been a while), Honoka is a kendo prodigy. She knows her way around a sword.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Of course Rin's job is thief.
Then what is Hanayo's?

Pretty obvious she's the cleric.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

So he‘s a farmers who‘s animals turn mad and the soil of his land got currupted to a degree where it can‘t be used anymore. Wildlife in his area has abnormal growth and seems more dangerous while his family get‘s currupted one after another...

One might ask why the heck he won‘t move...

Isn't it implied that the colour already has its hooks in him and the family, just in a more subtle way than the plants and animals?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Cthulu is cool and all, but yuri is still the color for me.

Your True Colour Out of Space

Nezchan Moderator
Caploco discussion 12 Jan 16:32
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

This is rare. Ken usually draws sex scenes involving fingering. Its rare for it to be any other form of sex act so this was nice to see.

Eh? Shoujo Sect had a tonne of cunnilingus. I haven't specifically gone to look, but from memory I know that room share one-shot did too.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Up until now I cannot believe that a transgender manga exists.

Several do, in fact there are a few on this site. Believe!

Nezchan Moderator
missed anything 11 Jan 22:02
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

GendoIkari changed avatar and no longer has a bucket

HOW DARE HE!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Most trans women after a year or two on hormones are around even and (many are significantly weaker than) most cis women. I went from stronger than the average boy for my age to weaker than the average girl for my age.

Given the role testosterone plays in building and maintaining muscle mass, and the fact that most trans women on hormones have less testosterone than most cis women, it makes sense. I could see a trans woman with longer legs having an advantage in, for instance, cycling or running due to sheer leverage/stride length, but that small advantage becomes quickly insignificant at the degree of training involved at the professional level. Or hell, even varsity if you're going to be serious about it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

They all took copious notes

Lots of note-taking

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Many thanks for the chapter!

btw, I see an Algernon Blackwood quote there. I heartily recommend The Willows by him, which treads similar "dread of something unseen" ground as A Colour Out of Space, but is much better written. I read it recently and it's fantastic.

Oh, nice! You just remind me about upcoming movie with the same name!

"But WHY are the curtains a frightful messenger from unformed realms of infinity beyond all Nature as we know it; from realms whose mere existence stuns the brain and numbs us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes?”

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I always feel like little flowers should just pop up in the background when Shiho is speaking.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I just noticed that all the chapter titles are songs from the 80s.

I tried looking a few up, and I can't find anything for chapter 2. Any ideas?

Chapter one is technically a song from the 60s, but I guess the 1987 Van Morrison cover is close enough.

last edited at Jan 9, 2020 7:36PM

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, oh, as for me, I would LOVE to discuss in depth and detail how this story (and all the other lovecraftian manga by Tanabe Gou) compares to Alan Moore's lovecraftian trilogy of Courtyard/Neonomicon/Providence!

Yeah we could discuss how Moore is 100 times more controversial that Lovecraft. :(
In his books, the lady MC is shagged by a dagon and then happily gives birth to Cthulhu.

It's like with Tolkien: those guys are darlings of the fan and the media even though they're way out extreme, but Lovecraft is the one who gets the bad rap.

I didn't actually read it, but I recall seeing scans of some parts of that. He really went for the shock sexual side of things, which didn't make me want to rush out and get my own copy.

I've been kind of passively looking for non-Lovecraftian cosmic horror recently. Stuff that doesn't just copy over his mythos with different names, but takes his basic universe view in new directions. You can only see a shoggoth so many times, after all. Stuff like Roadside Picnic and Annhilation both seem to be fresher takes on the core idea.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Lovecraft was a product of the times. Nobody expects authors from back then to be very liberal on their worldviews in many regards. The good thing about his horror works is that they focus on things very unrelated to such topics most of the time.

Actually, Lovecraft rejected his times and was repelled by modernity, instead affecting writing styles and attitudes from a century before. His contemporaries, friends, and even his wife called him out on his racism and antisemitism (she was Jewish and really didn't care for that last point). So if by "product of the times" you mean the 18th century, rather than the early 20th century that he actually lived in, then I'll give you that point.

Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

White Rose, Nevri, Nene and BugDevil, drop it already. You wanna relive all that, take it to the Discord or email or somewhere.

I'll be removing the whole derailing mess and posts referring to it. Sorry to anyone else if you had something actually relevant in the same post.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 11:13AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I suppose one way to put it is that reading this is like putting together a jigsaw, and there's these two pieces that are obviously supposed to fit together but there was a flaw in the manufacturing and they don't quite connect for no clear reason, and all you can do is keep plugging away until things work themselves out.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I agree that in realistic terms, their grief is progressing in a totally normal way. That's part of what makes the series so enjoyable. What I mean, though, is that it feels like it goes on forever narratively, because we haven't really seen much progress on that front so far (maybe we have? It's been a long while since I first read this for me too, so the details have faded). I think part of my frustration when I first read through this was that they're pretty afraid to voice their insecurities. Again, certainly not unexpected considering the circumstances, but frustrating at times nonetheless.

Honestly, it doesn't even seem like they're grieving particularly. They're mostly relaxed and enjoying each others' company and then DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!!! someone mentions a food he used to like and they're both questioning whether the other intentionally brought that up or maybe they've offended the other and the actual dead guy doesn't seem to directly figure into the equation much. And then we're back to blushing and acting like a couple again.