Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So I decided to reread some, and I found the neatest thing. So, that bit in ch. 98, after the mom has left, when Miss Sunflower sees Matsuri just as the bus pulls up, and wants to see her so much that she yells out "Matsuri!" and Matsuri doesn't get on the bus and runs to her after the bus leaves and it's this great moment of Miss Sunflower taking the initiative.

Ch. 5 has almost the same scene!

It's the first time Miss Sunflower has the feeling that it's kind of quiet and "off" with Matsuri not there for a while, and she walks out of the store, and happens to see Matsuri catching the bus. But since this is the first time and Miss Sunflower's feelings have a lot of evolving to do, she doesn't call out. Matsuri does! She spots Miss Sunflower, lets the bus leave without her and yells out "MISS SUNFLOWER!" and goes to her. So like, the later scene is totally a re-do showing the development, with Miss Sunflower so much more fond of Matsuri and so much more aware of it and so much more capable of expressing herself. Isn't that cool? This manga is so awesome.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Be hilarious if it turned out it was nothing like a love or lust potion, and the heart shape and pink colour were purely coincidental. Like, "Oh, this is the rare potion that can cure my poor sick aunt's heart disease!"

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Eh, I don't really care if it lacks uniqueness, I'm in for a nice genki girl cheering up the chilly girl. Bet it'll be way less frustrating than Citrus.

Purple Library Guy
Senpai-Ai discussion 01 Oct 14:26
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Return of the Vary Epik Grewp! Hurrah!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Did y'all notice the blackboard and the writings on it?

I love this manhua so much I could marry it.

Yes. It was hilarious.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

For the triangle shippers (yes I know, mostly tongue in cheek, but anyway) I don't think mom has a chance.
I'm sorry mom, but your boobs, while doubtless very fine, from a Chiaki point of view do not have your daughters' special qualities. Or quantities, from the looks of it.

last edited at Sep 30, 2022 3:57PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

New frontiers in hilariously idiotic yuri.

Loved Mom’s, “You have a lover? Who is she?”

Yeah, I loved that we're at the stage of yuri where that can be the question. No "what, you mean it's a GIRRL?!" just straight up assuming "she" is what's at issue here.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I have a real soft spot for romances like this where the leads are not only in heat for each other, but also really LIKE each other.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I like libraries and I like yuri so this is basically perfect.

Yup.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Why would her first immediate thought be "this lady is crazy" and not "she must have some sort of illness"

Maybe just that she looks so lively and healthy. Sure, you and I know that in manga you can be in the late stages of terminal illness and seem totally just fine until the moment you collapse, but SHE doesn't know that. ;)

Also she mentioned planning the time, which I suppose could refer to euthanasia before whatever it is gets really bad, but normally you time that kind of thing based on the progress of symptoms, you don't schedule it for nice funeral weather or whatever.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This was certainly an arresting first chapter. The plot hook is unique and interesting, and both protagonists are pretty compelling with fairly unusual personalities and situations. Thanks a lot for the translation!

You would think it would occur to the MC that while her life might be crappy, their worlds can't be TOO different if this lady is planning suicide.

If anything, their outlooks seem oddly similar . . . or am I the only one who found the MC's musings about escaping this terrible life vaguely suicidal?

When the MC talks about "the world of reality," I don't think she's really talking about being happy. Rereading page 7, she seems more to be contrasting people who are "beautiful and confident" with her as "worthless and alone."

Well, sure, but . . . beautiful, confident, and actively planning her death. That last bit should kind of put the envy in perspective, is what I'm saying.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

You would think it would occur to the MC that while her life might be crappy, their worlds can't be TOO different if this lady is planning suicide.

If anything, their outlooks seem oddly similar . . . or am I the only one who found the MC's musings about escaping this terrible life vaguely suicidal?

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well. Title's funny. Some of the premise bits are funny. And of course the credit page is funny 'cause it's from a classic.
The actual execution of the comedy is a bit iffy . . . dialogue lacks a certain snap, gets a bit repetitive. But I'd read a couple more chapters.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Does something like that happens in the novels ? These Chinese works always make me fearful of them remaining subtext due to censorship laws and whatnot

Maybe they are just not translated, but I actually haven't seen a Chinese ( or Korean) subtext series. I feel subtext Yuri is mostly a thing with manga, while GL manhua and manhwa are much more to the point with little ambiguity.

Come to think of it, subtlety of any sort isn't something I remember seeing a lot of in Chinese series . . .

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'm not usually that much of an art fan, I read for the stories, dialogue, characters and stuff . . . but dang, the art here just hits the story out of the park. We're talking "Ran and the Grey World" levels of art, it's amazing.

Purple Library Guy
Piquant discussion 21 Sep 19:55
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, I certainly didn't expect the chapter to end like that...

No, no, can't disagree with you there.

Purple Library Guy
Piquant discussion 21 Sep 19:54
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I can understand why it's done, I guess, but I wince when people translate "Tsukkomi" as "straight person" because the two function almost oppositely in terms of their comedy role.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's like
Step 1: ????
Step 2: Leave Kiki on her own without explanation
Step 3: Find a random girl to replace her
Step 4: ????
step 5: ??????
Step 6: Dance?
Step 7: ?????
Step 8: Profit!

There are people who don't think about what they do in any rational way, they just do it. Follow their instincts, like. And many of those people have crappy instincts. I think of Shion as being one of those.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"So how did you two get together?"
"Well, we found PRETENDING to be in a relationship helped our dancing, so we just figured it would be easier to keep that energy up if we didn't have to act."
"So you're . . . lovers because it makes your dancing better."
"Oh it sounds weird when you put it like THAT."

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

How many more volumes until this arc wraps itself up? I feel like I started reading one manga, a cutesy couple's life manga about a musician lacking confidence and her kouhai who helps spur her on to move forward with what she loves, but after about a volume or so the mangaka decided to turn it into a completely different one, except sometimes they write a chapter or two or even just a scene for that first manga. I thought the Shiho arc was gonna be like, a volume-long rivalry arc but it's just absolutely taken over this entire series and ruined a lot of the potential. Any time another major character is introduced I'll be rolling my eyes anticipating them taking over the show for several volumes and only giving me the manga I was initially promised once in a blue moon.

I just want the fucking manga that released in volume one back

Yeah, kind of agree. I actually feel like the mangaka maybe really intended to write that first manga, only to discover partway in that she has a terrible time coming up with cutesy-couple-relationship material, and so she goes with the other stuff.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So is it just me or did Morikubo go from kinda cute and innocent to sexy as hell with just this last panel?

Just you. I noticed she was sexy well before then. (Also suspicious)

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

From the "bottom" of my heart, alright.

Aw, beat me to it.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Is that Atsumi Munakata in the first page?

If I had to guess, I'd say no. The small image has, in addition to the two meatballs, got an antenna, which Munakata doesn't, and I think a slightly rounder face. Antennas are usually a persistent character design feature, so.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's love, but losing her temper like that it's out of character, considering her "opponent" is royalty, right? devoted to the people, no matter what she says, she won't take Claire unless she's willing to giving up all her responsibilities. And then she got beat up easily, knowing she was going to lose in the first place, it really hurts to watch, shameful display... dishonor.

Shameful? Dishonour? What do those things have to do with whether you can win a fight?
Shame and dishonour would belong to the high status bully with unstoppable magic who picks a fight with a commoner she can be sure has no chance of defeating her.

(Of course that girl is a walking plot device so she's probably just been playing the bully all this time in order to make Lady Claire realize her feelings when she sees the girl all beat up. But if her whole behaviour wasn't just an implausible ruse, she would be a dishonourable thug)

last edited at Sep 13, 2022 5:23PM