Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I see. Is a living wake a better idea ? Agreeing to discuss and argue for as long as the living ones want ? I've been wondering (for years, maybe a decade) how to leave in a way that it hurts as little as possible the ones that I love. Only solution I found so far was to stay alive. But it's not a solution.

I thought recording videos would be nice. But maybe it's cruel ?

Is it because people don't realize depression is a deadly disease that can't always be cured ? They believe we're not actually dying because they don't see it on our body ?

Sorry to start a painful debate. I think it's an important topic.

It's hard to know how to answer this, and it may be too late. But, frankly, I don't think there's any way to commit suicide that makes it less painful for the people left behind. They're gonna be sad, and they're gonna wish it didn't happen, and they're going to feel guilty because even if you told them different and they in some ways know different, they're still going to feel like surely there was something they could have done but failed to do that would have made you want to stay.

That's how it is. And just as they may not, in fact, be able to affect your depression, you can't really affect that.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

You wanted fluffy--now that's fluffy!

Mmmm, fluffy french toast!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Man, I can't remember anything about this, read this new chapter and it looks like an annoying thing I don't want to bother going back and reading the rest of. Am I mistaken?

Purple Library Guy
Flavorful discussion 13 Mar 04:11
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Great translator's note. I've wondered how big a cattie was; I've read some Asian historical fiction where they get mentioned.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I haven't been to Bali, but I am impressed one can just go there and find a specific person, must be the power of Chinese lesbian love!

If I've learned anything from reading Manwha, Chinese Lesbian Love transcends time and space! It also makes you a successful popstar/fashion model/actress/detective/entertainment executive.

Gotta say I wish I had the kind of money so when I felt my career and love life were crumbling around my ears, I could just go think about it on the beach in Bali.

Snark aside, I gotta say this has been delivering payoff very solidly.

last edited at Mar 12, 2024 4:15PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Rina is right to be guarded. If a girl said to me she wanted me as a boyfriend the first thing I would think is. "yup, this streight girl is trying to break my heart"

Could treat her like spaghetti, try making her wet and see how straight she is then . . .

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's hard to even predict where the plot would be going because so far it feels like it's done before it started: she's straight my guy, it's time to give up on her, graduate high school, go to college, and come out of the closet there like a normal lesbian.

Well, now as of ch. 7, clearly that girl isn't straight. In theory she could be asexual, but in terms of desire for boys I've never seen anyone so thoroughly ignore a kiss she's supposedly involved in. She treats making out like it's a quaint folkway she's respecting although it bores her--like she's going to a Rakugo show with a friend who's into that even though she's not interested herself.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Realism. I love it so terribly. There's only so much cgdct you can take before reaching the point of oversaturation. Even more so since the people who cultivate the cute 'n moe genre tend to think that cutesy antics can replace plot (hint: it doesn't).

Thanks the heavens for Flowerchild, Akiyama Haru, Uozumi Ami, Kodama Naoko, Iwami Kiyoko and all the other great ladies ot realistic psychological drama. And all the Chinese and Korean authors too, of course.

I like realism. Although, I also like syrupy vanilla stuff with no plot. They're different things, that doesn't mean one of them has to be wrong.

But speaking as someone who has been personally involved in more than one syrupy vanilla romance with no plot, they aren't actually unrealistic. People fall in love and are happy about it ALL THE TIME. Many of them then get married and have good lives and never cheat on each other and so on. I just celebrated the 28th anniversary of my syrupy vanilla romance with not very much plot.

And contrariwise, I'm pretty sure at least one or two of the authors you mention are not known for realism, but rather for trainwreck-for-its-own-sake. Which is fine--not my cup of tea, it is some people's, but that's all good. But what bugs me is when people who are into stories about people being ridiculously dysfunctional, where the co-incidences always twist the plot towards more twisted, where everyone is basically all self-destructive all the time . . . go around claiming that's "realistic". Gritty is not the same as realistic; lots of gritty things either just don't really happen in real life, or maybe happen but are incredibly rare, much rarer than either real-life saccharine sweetness or real-life kind-of-averageness with bits of good and bits of dysfunction. Melodrama of trainwreck stories are not "realistic" any more than "A Series of Unfortunate Events" is and I wish people would stop claiming they are.

To be clear, I think Octave, for instance, is realistic. It's not over the top. There's grit, and characters do things wrong, but not obsessively all the time. But some gritty stories are pretty ridiculous if you think about them.

last edited at Mar 5, 2024 1:52PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Rip to the childhood friend it's fate

Rarely have I seen a point in a triangle crushed so swiftly by the fates.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I cant believe this place is more moderate in discussions about the various yuri elements in this manga than fucking mangadex. No grooming accusations, no love-shaming Riri accusing her of being a easy woman, no general shallow understanding resembling ironic yuriweebs. What happened? Did you guys lose all the twitter retards to that place?

That was a really stupid thing to say. Doesn't even matter whether or not you're broadly correct. How exactly did you anticipate this leading to positive conversation?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It feels like a relay. Baton successfully passed from one to the next, or something.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Mc's grades fell because she didn't really want to get into k university herself. She had a desire to be closer to the older lady. I know she's young but if motivation doesn't come from inside then failure is only inevitable and because of that she wasted her efforts. Construction work isn't bad and she could've got some career guidance. As for the romantic side...it's just tragic lol

I dunno, you know? Sure, it was extrinsic motivation and all that. But say her exam had happened before she got the news. Or say the lady wasn't getting married. She would have got into K university probably. Even as things stand, she knows she has the ability to study hard enough to get into a good university if she wants to, something she hadn't known before. And, maybe she even learned some of the stuff she studied.

IMO lots of people do lots of impressive things for crappy motivations. Half of the best music in the world was created by guys who wanted to impress girls. Well, and a few guys who wanted to impress guys. But I mean, not even any specific person, just "I'll look cool and attractive people will come flocking". And that includes classical.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Moral of the story: Don't go around kissing high school girls in the library unless you plan to date them. But like even then. Maybe just don't go around kissing high school girls.

Ah, when was there a kiss? I didn't see a kiss. I didn't even see a suggestion of a could-have-been almost-kiss. Pretty sure no kisses took place in this story.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't think a partner needs a special treatment that my friends won't get

Then they shouldn’t be your partner nor should you invest anytime pursuing a serious relationship, simple as that

Well, some people like to use the same level for every person they have a bond with, you can do otherwise, I can do as I want, no one gets special treatment!

I think it'd be very strange to treat a romantic partner the exact same way you'd treat a friend.

Yeah. I mean, in what sense and for what reason are you calling them something different if they're not?

Edited to add: Just to be clear, I have no objection to someone doing things this way, there's clearly no ethical problem or anything. I just find it SEMANTICALLY strange.

last edited at Mar 19, 2024 2:29AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The little details in this are really nice so far, I really like the stylized contents page and her phone being broken as a detail. Also Yoru's excuse for not responding is immediately sus, my headcanon right now is she's the type who gets off on worrying her partner and so she will actively neglect her to get a rise.

I agree with the conclusion but not the antecedent.

As they aren't living together or anything, a mere 28 hours of silence is perfectly acceptable and must not mean you're avoiding your partner. But really, a cold? From my experience, bed-ridden people use their phone more, not less.

You gotta remember, this would not have been a real-person cold. Presumably it was the dreaded manga cold, involving high fever and inability to stay awake for more than a few minutes at at time, not to mention drastic reductions in self-control and memory loss. And generally no congestion, cough or sneezing . . . why does this get translated as "cold" again? :D

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I really like this so far. I like the way she's feeling that massive urge to do something stupid but, as a responsible adult, thinks about the implications and hasn't actually done it. Yet.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh look, another story romanticizing jealousy. sigh

Jealousy is a real thing that is really usually attached to love. Letting it rule you is bad, using it as an excuse to treat someone badly is bad, but having it is just the way things are for most people. If you want your stories to pretend otherwise, you want your stories to be fake.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

(Sidelong glance at the Ranma fandom)

Surely just 1/2 of the Ranma fandom. ;)

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The credits cracked me up on this one.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Pancakes & Fangs is a great title. I don't usually read doujins of stuff I don't know the background of, but I made an exception for that title, and I was not disappointed.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Childhood friends never win.... Why would I read this If the endgame is so painfully obvious?

The endgame is almost always obvious . . . why would that make it uniquely unreadable in this particular case?
It's obvious from pretty early on that Elizabeth Bennett is going to end up with Mr. Darcy, but it's still a fun read.

Purple Library Guy
Slow Start discussion 10 Feb 13:34
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I’m pretty sure hanatama is endgame, but I can’t help rooting for hanahiro

I get you. That was pretty sweet.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"The demon girl, who I initially thought to be scary, turned out to be someone who sheds beautiful tears"
. . . on her beautiful boobs.

(Sorry, but they REALLY stand out on that page)

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh. My. God. From zero to handholding in three pages!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't really get all the people saying the new girl is nice. I have a little bit of sympathy for her situation, but it's pretty limited. I've never been that impressed by "Oh poor me I'm always number two"--do those people ever have any sympathy for the people further down? They do not, and she's no exception. Plus, the reason she wants to be number one is a smidge of hypercompetitiveness added to a bunch of need for adulation--she wants all the fans so she can bask in the attention and love, none of which she plans to return. She's a self-centred narcissist; how is that "nice'?

She isn't a character who IS NICE, she is a character who has NICE CHARACTER DESIGN--she LOOKS pretty and inoffensive, and she didn't ever QUITE look yandere when she said some of the creepier things she said. So, enough to be "nice" I guess?

'tis comedy and light hearted. Why doth thou want to overcriticize things that makes people happy?

OK, so first, it wasn't a criticism OF THE MANGA. You can make excellent manga with characters in them who are self-centred narcissists. I was just noting that people who called her nice were being wrong on the internet. And as XKCD explained years ago, that's IMPORTANT. :D

But, if it HAD been a criticism of the manga . . . obviously, I criticize things that make "people" happy if they don't make ME happy. Do I have a duty to be made happy by something just because somebody ELSE likes it?

Oh, and it's "dost thou". "Doth" is third person; "thou dost", "he doth". Now you know.