Forum › Scanlator Recruiting & Project Discussion

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

If someone has a raw page that he thinks was pretty hard to edit and could direct me to that so I can look for myself how I fare, I'd be really thankful. I've read pretty much every yuri available in english, so instead of rereading my favorite series like once a week, I might as well help to get some new yuri onto this site.

Is it fun to read yuri you've worked on by the way? With all the spoilers and everyting.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I'm honestly pretty sure you can't, at least when using the freer tools like brushes. That's just my experience with drawing though, editing might be way different.

I actually use the brush mostly to erase things so that it's about the same shade as whats behind it, though I suppose once it's leveled, that doesn't really matter. Since I don't have much artistic skill, I use the line tool a lot. If you draw short segments, you can even draw curved and squiggly lines. That also makes undo more useful (I use that a lot.)

Is it fun to read yuri you've worked on by the way? With all the spoilers and everyting.

Yes.
If I stop and think about it I'd still have to say yes.
Of course following what machigai kouhai says, I only work on things I'm pretty interested in. It's why I started in the first place. It's about the same as when you reread a manga you really enjoyed the first time.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

im learning japanese right now and im hoping that i'll eventually be good enough at it to help out with manga/visual novel translations (among other things). i figured it might be a useful skill to have given that, so im curious: how long/hard would it be to learn how to clean/edit/typeset with absolutely no experience in image editing?

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Even without any experience with photo editing softwares, there are many guides that will walk you through the process step by step for all of the process. Yuri Project's wiki has a guide on how to do everything.

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

If someone has a raw page that he thinks was pretty hard to edit and could direct me to that so I can look for myself how I fare, I'd be really thankful. I've read pretty much every yuri available in english, so instead of rereading my favorite series like once a week, I might as well help to get some new yuri onto this site.

im learning japanese right now and im hoping that i'll eventually be good enough at it to help out with manga/visual novel translations (among other things). i figured it might be a useful skill to have given that, so im curious: how long/hard would it be to learn how to clean/edit/typeset with absolutely no experience in image editing?

I've only ever been a mouse user for editing (both typesetting and cleaning). It's doable, but there is always a time where I sorta wish I had a tablet to do some of these redraws; Even with the lack of artistic talent, a lot of redraws won't need any sort of complex artistic understandings to complete. And even if there is one you can probably try to cover that up with text. There's a different sort of satisfaction that comes with working on new chapters before the majority of people has seen them; not only because you get to see it sooner (not as satisfying) but a lot of what you're doing is going to get cemented into people's minds (more satisfying when done right). Eventually you mostly get used to it once you keep at it.
Here's a hard page from the old dynasty editing test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr7ak26ngtzwi0l/flower_flower_06-08.jpg?dl=0

Everyone has to start from somewhere so don't worry about your lack of experience. As long as you keep practicing and keep learning your efforts will eventually stop sucking (this applies to everything else in the world).

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Here's a hard page from the old dynasty editing test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr7ak26ngtzwi0l/flower_flower_06-08.jpg?dl=0

Damn that looks nasty to clean up

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

You might try emailing Sachiko from Kawaii Scans since they're looking for editors right now. They look to have an editing sample lined up already for people which seems to be a good example of what sort of skill and time is required. It does seem to be a bit time consuming if you have no idea what you're doing though. The three pages I tried took me about 2-1/2 hours to do. (This included figuring out what from the script goes where on the page, putting the text on the page, then cleaning up the left overs from the original text and redrawing anything that needed to be redrawn.)

http://kawaii.ca/?p=614

last edited at Feb 19, 2015 8:12AM

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

If you're going to translate, then you're probably better off focussing on learning the language. There's at least one person in this thread who manages both, but if you're still in the learning process I might suggest spending your spare time on WaniKani instead of Photoshop.

Lililicious
joined Jul 7, 2011

I remember this one! Used it for practice before I took the Lililicious test :) Still didn't prepare me for some of the pages from editing hell that pkChinensis keeps throwing at me...

3z8eb8cxabml0ib3limx
Divulge Scans
joined Dec 29, 2010

Honestly the artistic skill is probably the placement of texts. I don't like to redraw with mouse because that's a pain in the ass so I rely on placement of texts to cover up things here and there.

Yeah but you can tell when someone's done something weird to cover up something they don't want to redraw.

If someone has a raw page that [s]he thinks was pretty hard to edit and could direct me to that so I can look for myself how I fare, I'd be really thankful. I've read pretty much every yuri available in english, so instead of rereading my favorite series like once a week, I might as well help to get some new yuri onto this site.

Go crazy: http://puu.sh/g3yvT/54084a7571.png
http://puu.sh/g3yAU/6c510040a5.png

how long/hard would it be to learn how to clean/edit/typeset with absolutely no experience in image editing?

As Kouhai said, there's a bunch of very helpful resources that can get you up to speed in a few weeks of practice? A month? And from there you can learn good typesetting sense, etc. There's still no good guide for editing in colour though...

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

All right, thanks for all the answers! That really helped. :)

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Yeah but you can tell when someone's done something weird to cover up something they don't want to redraw.

SHADOW ONEESAMA i am p sure i can do a good enough job to cover up...........RIGHT? :(

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Is there a job that involves a lot of nitpicking and telling everyone how they did everything wrong (but being unable to do better yourself)?
Cause I can totally help that way ^_^

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

SHADOW ONEESAMA i am p sure i can do a good enough job to cover up...........RIGHT? :(

Don't worry, Kouhai-chan. I'm sure that everyone's too distracted by idols kissing to notice lines not connecting.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Don't worry, Kouhai-chan. I'm sure that everyone's too distracted by idols kissing to notice lines not connecting.

My first major redraw in my first release (no longer available) had an entire road not connecting. Though it was in the background of a two page image. It had to be redrawn because I refused to debind the pages before scanning them.

last edited at Feb 19, 2015 3:59PM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Is there a job that involves a lot of nitpicking and telling everyone how they did everything wrong (but being unable to do better yourself)?

Depending on the group, that would be the QA/QC position. Some groups make the QCer fix the edits themselves and I don't know how many have the QCers be the extra pair of experienced eyes these days. In Dynasty terms, we were the latter. But of course we're not hiring and we're mostly dead so we're not an option :P

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

This is my job! Particularly if it involves whining at Machigai Kouhai to do things my way, i.e. objectively better. Or driving raizoo insane with my pedantic obsessions with fonts, word bubble shape or minor wording headaches.

Learning image editing would probably take a few weeks of concerted effort at worst, although you can always learn new tricks and get better. Learning the Japanese language to the point of being good enough to translate is likely to take years.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

no doubt. im not expecting to be translating anything for like at least 5 years. i just figured that learning a bit of gimp would be good motivation to stick with learning japanese so as not to put those skills to waste.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

http://gorgeous-smell-translations.tumblr.com/post/112183641964/chapter-three-of-the-yka-manga-has-arrived-hope
ch 3 is out

its already uploaded lol

:y

Also I'm pretty sure you posted this in the wrong thread, this is Scanlator Recruiting, not Suggestions for Improvement. Not that you should be posting upload requests there either really.

last edited at Feb 26, 2015 10:22PM

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Looking for translators for the following:

• Michiwarikusa Monogatari - Vampire After the Doomsday

Is that still the status for that?

Page-11
Dynasty Scans
joined Feb 14, 2011

Depending on the group, that would be the QA/QC position. Some groups make the QCer fix the edits themselves and I don't know how many have the QCers be the extra pair of experienced eyes these days. In Dynasty terms, we were the latter. But of course we're not hiring and we're mostly dead so we're not an option :P

Still more alive than Tranquil Spring.

Masako2
joined Jul 6, 2012

I am looking for someone who can critique a scanned and cleaned manga page. It is from a raw of yuri✩come. Using online tutorials, I have done leveling, adjusted size and some cleanup. Want to know how I did and what more I can do to improve it

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I am looking for someone who can critique a scanned and cleaned manga page. It is from a raw of yuri✩come. Using online tutorials, I have done leveling, adjusted size and some cleanup. Want to know how I did and what more I can do to improve it

I'd be happy to! Shoot me an e-mail, if you wouldn't mind.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Looking for translators for the following:

• Michiwarikusa Monogatari - Vampire After the Doomsday

Is that still the status for that?

I'm going to offer a tentative yes via Payapaya, though it feels a bit like the world is collapsing around my ears and I don't really know it yet because my brain hasn't caught up to what my eyes are seeing.

last edited at Mar 9, 2015 1:04PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.